Nerds needed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way is google whatever tablet it is hints and tips, and must have apps. Then just have a play. My laptop rarely gets fired up now, its tabket all the way at home.

 
It's a cheapish android (cyclone voyager) so not short of choice.

 
RAID 6 is the future.
There is no need for a RAID setup in a home storage. All it guarantees is high availability which is only important if you're running a production server or a data centre. For a pure file server I would set up something with the ZFS file system, FreeNAS (based on FreeBSD) and OpenSolaris are good bets. UnRAID is also an interesting option and worth a look.

 
There is no need for a RAID setup in a home storage. All it guarantees is high availability which is only important if you're running a production server or a data centre. For a pure file server I would set up something with the ZFS file system, FreeNAS (based on FreeBSD) and OpenSolaris are good bets. UnRAID is also an interesting option and worth a look.
Debian for me as I'm more comfortable with it and a lot of the little bits I'd want to add won't work properly on FreeNAS. Also, I'm thinking a few things I'm planning May need NTFS for my windows PC to access it. I'm planning to have it on 24/7 (downloading at night), with 5/6 users each with 2/3 devices. I'd hate to lose my data. 

 
Debian for me as I'm more comfortable with it and a lot of the little bits I'd want to add won't work properly on FreeNAS. Also, I'm thinking a few things I'm planning May need NTFS for my windows PC to access it. I'm planning to have it on 24/7 (downloading at night), with 5/6 users each with 2/3 devices. I'd hate to lose my data. 
Does RAID really protect your data though? Striping obviously does not, in fact it makes data from all pooled drives lost if one is damaged. Mirroring does protect you against hardware failure, but not against data corruption. Backup, backup and backup. Backups at different locations are still the best protection.

ZFS was designed with data integrity in the focus, and has some features, like self-healing, that could make you consider checking out OpenSolaris or FreeBSD.

The windows client will communicate with the samba (or nfs) server, the underlying file system does not matter.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top