- Messages
- 22,723
- Reaction score
- 6,608
Just been chatting with my mate at work about transfer windows and whether or not they are a good thing for football and also for our enjoyment of the game. (yes we are suposed to be working but given that I am working on a Budgetary Control review of the Council and he is working on a Financial Statements review I think it is safe to say talking footie is preferable!).
So what do you reckon - do you prefer things as they are now with the two designated windows or do you like it the way it used to be when players could be signed at any point in the season?
Purely from a football interest/enjoyment level I preferred it when players could move at any time. Sometimes when things went a little stale a big move could be just the tonic (and I don't mean purely at the club you support, I just mean for football full stop) as it created discussion points and something to banter about. It also meant that the papers had less scope for constant gossip/lies about who was going to be moving where in 8 months time as they had more of a focus on the current goings on.
I guess in terms of football it has brought a degree of stability to individual seasons and it prevents the richer clubs being able to constantly top up their squads as and when an injury comes along (something that poorer clubs would not be able to do) but I also think it prevents smaller clubs being able to operate on a tight squad as they are more fearful of picking up long term injuries. Having siad that it probably encourages clubs to bring through youngsters in these situations rather than bringing a player on a short term deal.
Anyhow, what are your thoughts?
So what do you reckon - do you prefer things as they are now with the two designated windows or do you like it the way it used to be when players could be signed at any point in the season?
Purely from a football interest/enjoyment level I preferred it when players could move at any time. Sometimes when things went a little stale a big move could be just the tonic (and I don't mean purely at the club you support, I just mean for football full stop) as it created discussion points and something to banter about. It also meant that the papers had less scope for constant gossip/lies about who was going to be moving where in 8 months time as they had more of a focus on the current goings on.
I guess in terms of football it has brought a degree of stability to individual seasons and it prevents the richer clubs being able to constantly top up their squads as and when an injury comes along (something that poorer clubs would not be able to do) but I also think it prevents smaller clubs being able to operate on a tight squad as they are more fearful of picking up long term injuries. Having siad that it probably encourages clubs to bring through youngsters in these situations rather than bringing a player on a short term deal.
Anyhow, what are your thoughts?