I distinctly remember being told (in a Chelsea matchday programme?) that City had sold 18k tickets. Anyone else remember that? That looked about right to me from our end. We had exactly half the ground, from half way line to half way line. They may have had a couple of thou pay on the day (max) but I would imagine the split in support to be something like 48-50k Chelsea and 18-20k City. It was a good turn out from them really but, in my opinion, ours was the more impressive. Yes, it's only up the road but near 50k for that competition.
Anyway, it was a great day out particularly as I worked with three City fans at the time and they were all at the game. One of my favourite memories was on the tube on the way there. As we pulled in to the Embankment to change lines the driver came on the tannoy and started singing what was the song of the day: "When Pates goes up to life the Members Cup, we'll be there, we'll be there." Whole tube joined in of course. My only regret was paying for my ticket in advance as the gates 'fell off their hinges' *cough* while I was there and loads got in for free.
Anyone else go to Southampton the day before? We were banned (again!) I tried to get in to no avail. They'd given what were to be our tickets away free to local schoolkids but quite a few Chelsea bought Soton scarves and tickets then attempted to sneak in while trying to look like schoolboys. Haha. Happy days.
Some Chelsea went to Rangers v Celtic instead. 4-4 game. Imagine that, 17 goals in 2 games in 2 days. Some weekend of football.