Arsenal v Chelsea 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime in the mid 70s our game was called of (possibly QPR or Burnley), we all went to Highbury en masse who were playing Wolves, we had a massive mob in the middle of the North Bank and filled out most of the clock end as well.

Funny thing is I do not remember any Wolves fans being there or the score, twas a good day out.
I don't remember it like that. Burnley at home in the cup was posponed late and everyone headed to Highbury. It took ages to get in and we were on the camera side of the Clockend with Wolves between us and Arsenal and I certainly don't remember any Chelsea in the Northbank unless they were right at the back and you couldn't hear or see them. Anyway, if we'd have taken them at a game we weren't playing at it would have gone down in history. Most cleared off at half time as we could see what was coming and despite us giving Arsenal a pasting in our matches against them they weren't mugs. I'm sure the game was on the Big Match and the camera panned around to us in the Clockend with Brian Moore making a comment about our presence.

Turning up when we weren't playing turned sour a couple of times. After a morning KO v Arsenal in a friendly (Clive Walker's debut) a load went down to Fulham v Sheffield and got in early at the back of the Thamesbank, that was on the Big Match too and you could hear us. At half time a dozen or so Fulham and a few Shed boy hating Chelsea from the Clem Atlee Estate piled in and everyone scattered which was a right embarrasment as the numbers were about 10-1 on our side. The other time was going to Wimbledon v Portsmouth after a morning KO at Southampton. None of the 400 who got in expected 7000 Pompey!! Needless to say a serious case of melting took place and god only knows how Kojack came out of there in one piece with his sleeveless denim jacket covered with it's UP CHELSEA! patches

 
I don't remember it like that. Burnley at home in the cup was posponed late and everyone headed to Highbury. It took ages to get in and we were on the camera side of the Clockend with Wolves between us and Arsenal and I certainly don't remember any Chelsea in the Northbank unless they were right at the back and you couldn't hear or see them. Anyway, if we'd have taken them at a game we weren't playing at it would have gone down in history. Most cleared off at half time as we could see what was coming and despite us giving Arsenal a pasting in our matches against them they weren't mugs. I'm sure the game was on the Big Match and the camera panned around to us in the Clockend with Brian Moore making a comment about our presence.
That's pretty much how I remember it, though I seem to recall a mob of Arsenal coming down to the Clock End and getting a bit of a surprise.

Another one that springs to mind was in the early to mid 70's, can't remember who we were supposed to be playing but it was called off. Crystal Palace also had a game that day which was called off, and unbeknown to each other both Chelsea and Palace turned up at Plough Lane for an FA Cup match between Wimbledon and Bath City. Palace went in the Wimbledon end, cocky as f*ck, expecting to take it with ease, only to come face to face with a large mob of Chelsea. We chased them round the ground, and eventually out of the ground - great laugh! I still don't understand Palace doing that, I thought they'd learned their lesson when they played Tooting & Mitcham in the cup - the Mitcham boys (mostly Chelsea) battered them all over the place during the match and after, some of the w*nkers were even screaming as we chased them through a cemetary by Figges Marsh - good days!

 
That's pretty much how I remember it, though I seem to recall a mob of Arsenal coming down to the Clock End and getting a bit of a surprise.

Another one that springs to mind was in the early to mid 70's, can't remember who we were supposed to be playing but it was called off. Crystal Palace also had a game that day which was called off, and unbeknown to each other both Chelsea and Palace turned up at Plough Lane for an FA Cup match between Wimbledon and Bath City. Palace went in the Wimbledon end, cocky as f*ck, expecting to take it with ease, only to come face to face with a large mob of Chelsea. We chased them round the ground, and eventually out of the ground - great laugh! I still don't understand Palace doing that, I thought they'd learned their lesson when they played Tooting & Mitcham in the cup - the Mitcham boys (mostly Chelsea) battered them all over the place during the match and after, some of the w*nkers were even screaming as we chased them through a cemetary by Figges Marsh - good days!
Wimbledon did have a big Chelsea following. There was a LWT report on a Friday night once featuring them and the fact that they were drawing in 5000+ despite being in the Southern League and pushing for election to Divison 4 for the god knows how many a time. In the background the covered end was packed out and all you could hear was Chelsea. I do think our Surrey/Home Counties fan base is something to be proud about, how many times have you seen our flags at Non-League matches.....Woking at Everton, Crawley this year,... etc.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top