Virosh
First Team Regular
- Messages
- 3,915
- Reaction score
- 47
With the thrills and chills over our unrealized mega-signing of Robinho now well and truly behind us, we can look forward to the winter transfer window.
One of the main names to shine there is Andrei Arshavin, whom we ( at least on here ) were very interested in after his electrifying performance during the Euros.
Now, over the last couple of weeks I have read on multiple occasions that he may be on his way out of Zenit. He obviously wants a transfer, that much is clear from his and his agent's comments ( I also seem to recall he refused to train with his club or something of the kind in protest of his fee being too high ). He also wants to play for a big club - I know Tottenham were interested in him, but he explicitly said he would only play for one of the top 4 in England; and with our dear neighbours from North London currently in the position they are in, they are out of the race for him surely. Furthermore, Zenit have already secured the services of a replacement for Arshavin - a young lad, don't remember the rest of the details.
All of this means to me they are ready to sell. But are we ready and, more importantly, willing to buy ? We all know the guy is a class act. Every time I see him play ( though not that often) he looks like a player who can unlock defences - he just makes things happen for his team and that I believe is the mark of a great player.
We also need a player like him upfront. We wouldn't have been so adamant we sign Robinho otherwise. Here one can argue that we have some players coming good right now (Malouda, Kalou), but how much can we rely on them as the season progresses ?
He is also more of a long-term project and we all know what short term patches can deliver (Maniche and Anelka anyone ?)
On the downside, he won't come on the cheap, the reported fee for him varying around 20-25 mln, although I do expect for it to drop somewhat come wintertime. Then again, we were prepared to pay even more for Robinho, so that should not be an issue at all if we really need him.
The biggest problems with this transfer is that he is cup-tied in the CL. The only argument that can be made here is he is still going to be able to rest some key players for the CL.
Of course, it really comes down to whether Scolari wants him or not. I am more interested in your opinion, as I myself feel he will be a great buy.
One of the main names to shine there is Andrei Arshavin, whom we ( at least on here ) were very interested in after his electrifying performance during the Euros.
Now, over the last couple of weeks I have read on multiple occasions that he may be on his way out of Zenit. He obviously wants a transfer, that much is clear from his and his agent's comments ( I also seem to recall he refused to train with his club or something of the kind in protest of his fee being too high ). He also wants to play for a big club - I know Tottenham were interested in him, but he explicitly said he would only play for one of the top 4 in England; and with our dear neighbours from North London currently in the position they are in, they are out of the race for him surely. Furthermore, Zenit have already secured the services of a replacement for Arshavin - a young lad, don't remember the rest of the details.
All of this means to me they are ready to sell. But are we ready and, more importantly, willing to buy ? We all know the guy is a class act. Every time I see him play ( though not that often) he looks like a player who can unlock defences - he just makes things happen for his team and that I believe is the mark of a great player.
We also need a player like him upfront. We wouldn't have been so adamant we sign Robinho otherwise. Here one can argue that we have some players coming good right now (Malouda, Kalou), but how much can we rely on them as the season progresses ?
He is also more of a long-term project and we all know what short term patches can deliver (Maniche and Anelka anyone ?)
On the downside, he won't come on the cheap, the reported fee for him varying around 20-25 mln, although I do expect for it to drop somewhat come wintertime. Then again, we were prepared to pay even more for Robinho, so that should not be an issue at all if we really need him.
The biggest problems with this transfer is that he is cup-tied in the CL. The only argument that can be made here is he is still going to be able to rest some key players for the CL.
Of course, it really comes down to whether Scolari wants him or not. I am more interested in your opinion, as I myself feel he will be a great buy.