Jimmy_blue
New Signing
- Messages
- 57
- Reaction score
- 0
Not sure how Irish Lawrenson was/is.
Let's do this. Arteta for England, quality footballer.
Let's do this. Arteta for England, quality footballer.
They have Poles in their team too - Klose and Podolski!if the Germans can play Turks and Brazilians, then why not?
Plus a Ghanian in Jerome Boetang.They have Poles in their team too - Klose and Podolski!
Why isnt the xenophobia being applied to one of the best players in the England 2006 WC team?
Quote from WikipediaWhy isnt the xenophobia being applied to one of the best players in the England 2006 WC team?
Hargreaves is from my hometown, Calgary, Alberta, Canada........ funny no debate occured over him from my recollection (though I didnt really read a whole lot of UK press then admittedly).
If that information is correct then Hargreaves is much more English than he is CanadianHargreaves was born in Calgary, Alberta, as the youngest of three children of Margaret and Colin Hargreaves, who had emigrated from the United Kingdom at the start of the 1980s.His father played football for the Bolton Wanderers youth side and also for the Calgary Kickers of the Canadian Soccer League. He is the only member of his family born in Canada. His brother Darren and his mother were both born in Wales, his other brother Neil and his father were born in England.
Well hewas born and raised in Calgary until he was sixteen, so thats over half his life as he is only 29... After which he moved to Germany for about 10 years.....and then England......so in fact he is more German than British.....If that information is correct then Hargreaves is much more English than he is Canadian
Fair enough.Well hewas born and raised in Calgary until he was sixteen, so thats over half his life as he is only 29... After which he moved to Germany for about 10 years.....and then England......so in fact he is more German than British.....
I dont give a sod where his parents are from, my mom is British but I was born and raised Canadian (Like Hargreaves) so that makes us as British as the East Indian chap who works in my office......or Arteta.....
Also, he was going to play for Wales under-21 before being approached by England, so its not like he was holding out to play for England anyways......
Would that mean you had to play for Scotland, then?I agree with Barry. Hargreaves shouldn't be anywhere near the England team and nor should Arteta. I don't agree that you can play for the country of your parent's nationality. If you move to a country before a certain age and live there for a certain amount of time (arguments will be around what those thresholds should be - personally I would say before 16 and live there for say 7 years maybe) then I think you should maybe qualify.
No. It means I would have the choice to.Would that mean you had to play for Scotland, then?