AVB - Where would Chelsea be if he wasn't sacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekimozturk

Youth Team
Messages
129
Reaction score
36
Just wateched the Spurs - Inter game. I hate to admit that Spurs are looking impressive and ABV shoud take credit for it. I then thought to myself where we would have been if he wasn't sacked... Any comments?

 
Just wateched the Spurs - Inter game. I hate to admit that Spurs are looking impressive and ABV shoud take credit for it. I then thought to myself where we would have been if he wasn't sacked... Any comments?
Probably where we are now but without a champions league and another fa cup trophy to our name.........

 
Who knows.

He wasn't right for us, Robbie was then got sacked.

Jose was right for us and got sacked.

Rafa was wrong for us and is unsackable!

Chelsea eh!

 
I do believe we would have been in a better place now if the club were more patient with him. Having said that we would not have won the CL!

 
We would be 2nd and have won the carling cup while still being in the champions league.

On the down side we most likely wouldn't have won the Fa cup or the Champions league last season and frank would probably have left last summer

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have wondered the same thing about Ancelotti's sacking.

 As for AVB, I seem to remember we did ok after his sacking. It's RDM's sacking that has done the damage.

 
We would not be winning the cups, out of CL this year had we kept AVB.

He came in couple of years too early. He learnt from his mistakes and did a better job at Spurs. However Spurs should be no where near us on the league table had we kept RDM in charge. I honestly don't read much into Europa form, even through I was disappointed by our performance last night.

 
I think people are overrating AVB a bit at Spurs. They have one more point than they had this time last year under Harry. He inherited a good team that spent most of last season in 3rd, has none of the pressure, expectations and egos that he had to deal with here, and has also benefited from Chelsea and Arsenal being in complete disarray. Harry also beat Inter, when they were reigning European champions, although to be fair the Rafa effect had set in by then. The biggest compliment AVB can be given so far is he seems to have learned from his mistakes here and he's maintained Spurs' level.

 
Of course there is the possibility that had AVB stayed we would, just as we did, have gone on to win the CL and FA cup and then he is sacked after a couple of bad  games early this season, doubtful yes, but how many people expected RDM to get sacked?

 
We wouldn't be Champions of Europe but we'd be a lot closer to United in the League.

 
i have to agree that AVB is very lucky to walk into a team with bale in good form which was following from last season! take bale out and AVB will not be where he is now.

 
I think people are overrating AVB a bit at Spurs. They have one more point than they had this time last year under Harry. He inherited a good team that spent most of last season in 3rd, has none of the pressure, expectations and egos that he had to deal with here, and has also benefited from Chelsea and Arsenal being in complete disarray. Harry also beat Inter, when they were reigning European champions, although to be fair the Rafa effect had set in by then. The biggest compliment AVB can be given so far is he seems to have learned from his mistakes here and he's maintained Spurs' level.
The difference between AVB and Redknapp is that AVB's Spurs have been consistent, instead of imploding at the turn of the year.

On paper, Spurs easily have a squad as good as, if not better, than Inter.

 
Probably where we are now but without a champions league and another fa cup trophy to our name.........
Agreed, I knew he was a good manager and would do well elsewhere but he was the wrong person at the wrong time.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are overrating AVB a bit at Spurs. They have one more point than they had this time last year under Harry. He inherited a good team that spent most of last season in 3rd, has none of the pressure, expectations and egos that he had to deal with here, and has also benefited from Chelsea and Arsenal being in complete disarray. Harry also beat Inter, when they were reigning European champions, although to be fair the Rafa effect had set in by then. The biggest compliment AVB can be given so far is he seems to have learned from his mistakes here and he's maintained Spurs' level.
To be fair they lost two very high quality players in Modric and VDV and whilst their replacements such as Dembele and Sigurdsson are qualtiy they aren't really in the same ball park. Think the most credit has to go to him for the way he is truly unleashing Bale on the league. Taken him to a whole new level. 

I did like AVB and was dissappointed when he got sacked, however he had lost our dressing room and the team just wasn't playing for him so we were on a sharp downward trajectory. Unfortunately he just wasn't a good fit for the club. Saying that far, far, faaaaaaaaar more suitable for us than that rather large bearded man in charge right now

 
The thing is when AVB came to Chelsea he was charged with overhauling our play style and beginning to move on some of the more senior players.

However the player sales and recruitment when he came in made his job more difficult because he was being expected to play a certain way (attacking direct football) but with the squad that was used to playing mostly on the counter built on a solid defense.

So instantly he is trying to fit a round peg through a square hole.

Had he had the likes of Hazard, Moses and Oscar to choose from I think he would have been more successful.

He wanted to, ironically now it would seem, sign Scott Parker and Luca Modric because he probably felt we needed to move the ball quicker in midfield.

I also believe he wanted Willian as well who is a similar player to Oscar and Hazard.

So AVB tries to overhaul the team and play style but isn't given the tools to do so.

He's sacked when it isn't working and in comes RDM who can revert to type and gets us back to playing the style of football that squad was suited to and managed to be successful.

I think laying the blame squarely on AVB was his failure is unfair on him because he is showing at Spurs that he is capable of playing his style of football and recruiting decent players.  

 
Agreed, I knew he was a good manager and would do well elsewhere but he was the wrong person at the wrong time.
I totally agree with this. I think he is a very good manager but he joined us too young and when our big name players were too old (and had too much power). I said when he was sacked he would go on to prove us wrong and although it is a little early to say he has done, he is on his way there imo.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top