Big Brother is watching YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter Stage Left.

What price do you place on your security? Take 9/11 for example - I'm sure that there were messages passed electronically between those who masterminded the attacks and those who carried them out - same with the 7/7 bombings. What if those messages had triggered some alarms and the messages had been intercepted? I wonder whether the families of those who died during the attacks would worry about the government intercepting some of their own innocent e-mails asking their wives what is for dinner. After all, who cares if they're intercepted?

Regarding the naive comments, perhaps you are naive for thinking that your ISP isn't already monitoring the content you're using your computer for.....

 
Enter Stage Left.What price do you place on your security? Take 9/11 for example - I'm sure that there were messages passed electronically between those who masterminded the attacks and those who carried them out - same with the 7/7 bombings. What if those messages had triggered some alarms and the messages had been intercepted?
If it's known that monitoring is in place, then it's not too difficult to bypass such monitoring, either by using codes, or by using the phone. Or you can simply change ISP. These measures will only be required to be enforced by the larger ISPs because it is recognised that it is not financially viable for smaller ISPs to maintain such records.

Using your logic, all phone calls should also be monitored. And so should every item of mail, electronic or otherwise. Because the only way to live in 100% safety is to have 100% control over every single action taken by every single individual at any given time. And that just isn't possible.

What price do you place on your freedom? Or your privacy? And even your security, because you seem all too willing to place a massive amount of trust in the way the government handles this information. Face it, their recent track record hasn't been too good in this area, now has it? A lost data disc here, a mislaid data disc there. Do you have any idea of the scale of the record-keeping we're talking about here? It's absolutely immense. And along with that comes massive scope for human error.

I wonder whether the families of those who died during the attacks would worry about the government intercepting some of their own innocent e-mails asking their wives what is for dinner. After all, who cares if they're intercepted?
No I shouldn't think they would. Leaving aside the matter of what may or may not be included in an email, there is no evidence that any kind of mass-monitoring would in any way increase the effectiveness of the fight against terrorism. In fact, just the opposite - as I've already said, if you know you're being monitored, all that does is make it easy for you to take steps to bypass such monitoring.

On the other hand, if your intelligence is effective, in the form of undercover operations and targeted surveillance, then yes you can take appropriate action, make arrests and so on.

Regarding the naive comments, perhaps you are naive for thinking that your ISP isn't already monitoring the content you're using your computer for.....
That's some kind of assumption you're making there. Two in fact. Firstly regarding my knowledge of my ISP, and secondly concerning my attitude to this knowledge, or lack of.

As it happens. ISPs already keep records for 12 months, not content but start/destination type records. They do this largely for billing purposes. The government proposes to take this several stages further, using data mining techniques. Similar measures are also due to be put in place on behalf of the copyright industry, again only the larger ISPs will be affected. Then there's Phorm, or it's US equivalent, NebuAd, targeted advertising based on your browsing habits.

 
Blimey just found this thread wish I had seen it sooner as it is a topic I have a great interest in it.

To ignore the fact your freedom of speech and ability to function in society has been completely eroded in the last 30 years is unforgivable.

Your civil liberties have and the powers WE allow our governments to enter our private lives make the Nazi’s look like puppies.

It still amazes me that people think blanket CCTV in our town centres is a good thing and not big brother watching us. All CCTV does is record the event IT DOESN’T STOP IT HAPPENING. 7/7 is a perfect example of CCTV capturing the bombers in transit but failing to stop the crime being committed.

What scares me more is what in on the horizon and the steps and processes, which are being entered into society by stealth. The fact people are happy for animals to be chipped and it is entering the public domain as acceptable is very scary to me. Next it will be children, then you!

 
if you have nothing to hide then you wont have a problem
Sorry but I really hate this phrase. Worse still, I always imagine it being said in Jon Gaunt's screechy voice. It's the creed of tyrants around the world, and can be used to justify all manner of sinister moves. As the saying goes, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and in a free society there has to be a balance. To constantly erode the civil liberties and privacy of the law abiding in the name of stopping terrorists who account for less than 0.001% of the population is frankly the road to tyranny.

 
Blimey just found this thread wish I had seen it sooner as it is a topic I have a great interest in it.To ignore the fact your freedom of speech and ability to function in society has been completely eroded in the last 30 years is unforgivable.

Your civil liberties have and the powers WE allow our governments to enter our private lives make the Nazi’s look like puppies.

It still amazes me that people think blanket CCTV in our town centres is a good thing and not big brother watching us. All CCTV does is record the event IT DOESN’T STOP IT HAPPENING. 7/7 is a perfect example of CCTV capturing the bombers in transit but failing to stop the crime being committed.

What scares me more is what in on the horizon and the steps and processes, which are being entered into society by stealth. The fact people are happy for animals to be chipped and it is entering the public domain as acceptable is very scary to me. Next it will be children, then you!
a while ago there was a program on channel 4 called Britain's cotton wool kids. I didn't see it but on the advert it showed a woman talking about having it done, im not sure if its even legal but i couldn't believe anybody would actually consider it.

 
What exactly do you think the government is going to do with all this data? There is a big difference to having something monitored and having something examined. Do you really think the government will be employing someone to read through all the posts people make on forums? Or do you think certain words or sequences of words might set off a trigger which would then set some wheels in to motion - if someone was using the internet and using words together such as 'explosives', 'airports', 'flying', 'suicide' etc then I would hope that someone did look in to it further.
Guys, this is already happening.

I have a client who specialise in developing software for the security services (police / MI5) which scans the web and emails for combinations of words such as the above.

And no, I don't agree with it one bit.

 
Guys, this is already happening.I have a client who specialise in developing software for the security services (police / MI5) which scans the web and emails for combinations of words such as the above.

And no, I don't agree with it one bit.
That must be a moral dilemma for you

 
I haven't worked with them for two years now.
I am in a similar business to you ( I think) and had a similar problem with working for a Fag company - Gallaghers in Weybridge - as was. We finished one project and then gave them go-away prices.

 
I am in a similar business to you ( I think) and had a similar problem with working for a Fag company - Gallaghers in Weybridge - as was. We finished one project and then gave them go-away prices.
I've played with them in the past as well. And Rothmans.

Bloke at Gallaghers once told me that if the Govt were to severely limit what they could spend their marketing budget on, then they would be forced to reduce the price of a packet by up to 50% in order to maintain growth.

That left a really bad taste in the mouth.

 
I've played with them in the past as well. And Rothmans.Bloke at Gallaghers once told me that if the Govt were to severely limit what they could spend their marketing budget on, then they would be forced to reduce the price of a packet by up to 50% in order to maintain growth.

That left a really bad taste in the mouth.
Yeah I remember that conversation from when I was trawling through emails for MI5

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top