Can Chelsea retain their top 4 position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would somebody like Hiddink or Mourinho be getting better results with this set of players? The answer is emphatically YES.

Ancelotti was tactically inept for a lot of last season that however was masked by winning the league title with the lowest points total since 2003. Let's be hones the league last year was very weak, no standout teams and Chelsea were by a single point the best out of a bad bunch of teams.

Maybe tactically inept is a bit harsh but he is rigid in his style of play and his ability to change the game from the sidelines with a sub or jig in formation/aprroach/build up play is embarrassingly poor for a manager in his position.
No he wasnt tactically inept, he changed from one formation to another after realising quite quickly it wasnt working. Also, last season might have been weak but it was no weaker than this season and I can see this league being won with even less points. Also you simply cant say whether Hiddink or Mourinho would have done better in the same situation, they never had the problems Ancelotti has had this season.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
No he wasnt tactically inept, he changed from one formation to another after realising quite quickly it wasnt working. Also, last season might have been weak but it was no weaker than this season and I can see this league being won with even less points. Also you simply cant say whether Hiddink or Mourinho would have done better in the same situation, they never had the problems Ancelotti has had this season.
With respect I disagree. Although Ancelotti's saving grace is that the squad has been completely mismanaged for years and he has also had injuries to key players.

 
With respect I disagree. Although Ancelotti's saving grace is that the squad has been completely mismanaged for years and he has also had injuries to key players.
Well that tactically inept manager with a mismanaged squad managed to beat the other so called big 3 in every game last season only letting in 1 goal.

 
I have to ask: How can Ancelotti go from brilliant boss to tactically inept in the space of less than a season?

Aren't there mitigating circumstances that may have hampered his ability to produce results this season?

I mean, when your boys were stuffing teams 5 and 6 nil at the start of the season who'd've thought Carlo would now be viewed with such disdain?
It saddens me to find the voice of reason comes from an opposition Fan, my thoughts exactly mate.

I wonder how long some of our fans would have stuck with Your Manager, another man with stubborn beliefs, hes not doing to bad though is he?.

 
It saddens me to find the voice of reason comes from an opposition Fan, my thoughts exactly mate.

I wonder how long some of our fans would have stuck with Your Manager, another man with stubborn beliefs, hes not doing to bad though is he?.
Haha, that comes from years and years of mediocrity (if the younger gooners are our voice of reason) :rolleyes:

 
Zhirkov back in training today which is fabulous news with malouda's form. Does anyone know how long yossi wil be out for? He's been out 5 months, can't be that far off, if he doesn't come back til the last 5 games of the season we should have signed someone to replace him in January. I think the return of these 2 could bf vital, to whether we can clinch fourth.

 
I have to ask: How can Ancelotti go from brilliant boss to tactically inept in the space of less than a season?

Aren't there mitigating circumstances that may have hampered his ability to produce results this season?

I mean, when your boys were stuffing teams 5 and 6 nil at the start of the season who'd've thought Carlo would now be viewed with such disdain?
Only mitigating circumstance I can come up with is that he lost his assisstant. He went through big portions of last season missing key players, and we flourished ....remember?

I suppose the people predicting that disdain would be the same people who predicted this 4 month disaster......and I would caution to use the word concern before disdain, I dont think anyone claims Carlo doesnt deserve respect, we're just concerned about his last 4 months and wether this is something that will end soon or will continue to be the trend.

 
Well we have City to play but we have to keep up this standard in a way its frustrating to see us play this well today and we haven't played like that for months. Next season though I think we will be back.

 
Steady... one thing at a time...
8 points adrift, your confidence took a huge hit, same with your team sheet in regards to injuries whisltt our confidence and bodies are surging back.

We shouldnt get ahead of ourselves, but it is well within the realm of possibility!

 
May even catch your lot if you implode after losing the final....
I think on current form, we're more likely to catch United - they've looked quite poor for about half a season now and still have quite a few tricky fixtures to come. If we were to win the rest of our games (not saying that we will - pure speculation), we would only need them to lose 2 others (not including the game against us) and we'd be level on points with them. It's definitely not unrealistic to think they might lose at both Anfield and the Emirates and then we're right up with them.

At this point, I think Arsenal look most likely to take the title.

 
Aren't we playing Blackpool next? That's a very winnable game, and we may even be third after that. Beating Spurs and City at home and our top 4 is just about secured. Talk about catching United is still premature, they always find a way to beat Liverpool and Arsenal etc. I think Arsenal we fad soon with their injuries and congested fixtures, so as long as we keep going, funny thing can happen.

 
Aren't we playing Blackpool next? That's a very winnable game, and we may even be third after that. Beating Spurs and City at home and our top 4 is just about secured. Talk about catching United is still premature, they always find a way to beat Liverpool and Arsenal etc. I think Arsenal we fad soon with their injuries and congested fixtures, so as long as we keep going, funny thing can happen.
UHHHH, Blackpool without their best player (Adams) or top goal scorer (DJ Campbell).

If our lads play like they ended this game, we should see a score line circa sept/oct or 2009-2010 season!

That mixed with this win would be aces for our confidence heading into the business end of the season!

 
On step at a time lads, have we not been paying attention to the previous games all seaon. Blistering form followed by match losses in games we should technically have won.

I still claim that top 4 should be a prioroty, and if we can take advantage of some games, then we may take 3rd and keep a bit of pressure off ourselves.

 
UHHHH, Blackpool without their best player (Adams) or top goal scorer (DJ Campbell).

If our lads play like they ended this game, we should see a score line circa sept/oct or 2009-2010 season!

That mixed with this win would be aces for our confidence heading into the business end of the season!
I'd be happy if we beat them 4-0 like when they came to us earlier in the season :P

 
One game at a time is the approach from now on and you never know what could happen. It could come down to the second last game against United to pip them off.\

Believe!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top