Chelsea chase Hiddink (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
villas boas manager, zola assistant manager.
Would be ideal, but I can't imagine Zola going for number 2 to a younger manager than himself. Boas is my age 33-34 I believe.

 
I guess changing managers with fresh ideas every 2 years or so can bring success,but old red nose Ferguson and the trophies Wenger won at the arse,(until he disappeared up his own chuff),proves different,and what about Guardola at Barcelona?.

I only hope if/when Gourlay calls Carlo into the office and tells the only League & cup double winning manager in our history, your not good enough,he gives the suited ars*wipe a good smack!,fantastic.

 
Cant see any of these happening , If ancelloti is being replaced were gonna be having better managers i think , Hiddink i wouldnt object too and i think would do a good job but i cant see him wanting the job

 
I guess changing managers with fresh ideas every 2 years or so can bring success,but old red nose Ferguson and the trophies Wenger won at the arse,(until he disappeared up his own chuff),proves different,and what about Guardola at Barcelona?.

I only hope if/when Gourlay calls Carlo into the office and tells the only League & cup double winning manager in our history, your not good enough,he gives the suited ars*wipe a good smack!,fantastic.
I don't think he'd be out of order if thats how it played out.

Roman surely must see the problems this season were partly of his making and partley down to a natural aging process, I will be gutted if Carlo is sacked and I'm pretty much with Clubhappy on the laughing stock thing, I know we've had tropghies while playing musical chairs but if I was an opposition fan I'd be laughing knowing that if we dared to stay with one of the proven Managers we'd have had a far fuller trophy cabinet and UTD for one would have an emptier one.

 
I'd love to see Franco back at the Bridge, but it won't be for anything other than as manager. He has already said that once you are a manager, you cannot go back to being coach. Anyway, I think he recently agreed to captain a Chelsea legends side didn't he? Could this be the root of all these rumors linking him with us?

Cheers,

Butch

 
Hey guys,

I like to think i'm somebody who makes big calls before they happen (or don't) rather than waiting and seeing and being a "monday's expert". I'm very tired so i'll keep this post reasonably brief.

I beleive Guus Hiddink will be named the next manager of Chelsea and will be done so probably in the next 72 hours. Here is my reasoning:

1) The timing of the sacking of Carlo (right after the last game of the season suggests to me that a) it was decided a while ago and B) the Chelsea board already have someone in mind for the job. I don't believe we would have have acted as decisively had we not had a firm idea who the replacement would be.

2) Looking at the list of top 5 mostly likely (according to William-Hill betting agency) Andre Villas-Boas, Guus Hiddink, Harry Redknapp, Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola. I only see Guus Hiddink as a likely candidate.

Andre Villas-Boas: Good manager. In my opinion almost the most likely to get the gig after Guus Hiddink but it needs to be remember he's won the UEFA cup here, not the Champions League. I doubt we would have brought Mourinho in on the back of the UEFA cup (we waited till he won the big prize the following year before pouncing)

Harry Redknapp: Interesting, but I can't see why he'd leave Tottenham after all the good work his done there to come to a club that clearly had skyhigh expectations of the manager.

Jose Mourinho: Ambramovich's angry reaction to the side when he reported said "are you good players or just well paid players" after being knocked out by Jose's InterMilan last season says to me that he and Mourinho still aren't on good terms. I really really doubt we'll ever see Mourinho back at Chelsea (as the manager of our team).

Pep Guardiola: He'd be stupid to leave Barcelona. And anyway, their squad make managers look fantastic, just look at what an average coach Rijkarrd is but did well over there.

So onto Hiddink.

Let's remember he was pulled out of Russia to come save the club after Scolari and did a good job. When he left Russia for Turkey (correct me if i'm wrong), it was when Carlo had us flying and there was no need for a change. Roman loves the guy, its clear they have a great friendship and there is alot of respect on Roman's part for Guus. Add in what I said above about the decision to replace Carlo being made probably months ago, I think there is a very strong case to suggest Hididnk is the new manager and will be appointed to the job very soon.

Any thoughts guys?

 
Hiddink would be great! He is the best choice. But does he want to take the team over for more than a season is the big question for me. Maybe Hiddink as the D of F and Villas-Boas for manager. Would be really bold to make a 33-yr old as your head coach. I like that!

 
I would expect that Hiddink will be involved in some way, but hasn't he previously said that he doesn't want the pressure of returning to club management at his age? The '5 most likely' according to William Hill has changed overnight as the money has come in. We're now looking at Marco van Basten, Villas-Boas, Hiddink, Redknapp and Rijkaard as the top 5 with MvB leading by a comfortable margin.

I think that for once the rumours actually have some substance and we could be looking at Hiddink as Director of Football and van Basten as head coach. With regard to your comment about having had this sorted months ago, MvB has been out of a job (through choice) for the last year or so since he left A**x so could easily have committed to a job here as long ago as the beginning of the season if Roman had wanted him.

 
This was my first thought when I heard about Carlo's quick sacking. I thought we had someone lined up already and all things point to Hiddink.

I hope its true!

 
Any thoughts guys?
Guus has a contract with Turkey and I think he will stay there until the end of his contract because based on his comments he seems like the kind of guy who respects contracts. He has said that he's not interested in coming back to club football. That's why I'd say it would be a huge surprise if he returned to Chelsea.

 
It's about a month old now, but the Turkish FA really don't expect him to leave: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/15/guus-hiddink-chelsea-turkey-ancelotti

"We understand that people like Roman Abramovich have him in mind but if he made an offer to us it would be refused. If you look at Guus Hiddink's career, he has always fulfilled his contract and he has also told us that Turkey could be his last stop as a coach. We would like him to take us to the 2014 World Cup finals"

Having said that, it also says there is a clause in his contract with them that prevents him from being employed by a club side while he's still with them and we all know how untrue that is. I wonder whether the clause actually states that he can't be 'Manager' of another team but has enough leniency in its phrasing that he could get away with 'Director of Football'

 
I would expect that Hiddink will be involved in some way, but hasn't he previously said that he doesn't want the pressure of returning to club management at his age?
Not Guus exactly but a friend of his:

“He doesn’t want to go back to club football,†“I know the impact that Chelsea have on him but if he’s a club manager he wants to be on the pitch every day six days a week.

“He thinks that at his age being on the pitch six days a week for two to three seasons is not possible. If he goes to a club he wants to build something and doesn’t want to go for one year. He wants to go for two to three seasons. At his age, that is the main reason why he doesn’t want a club job.â€
 
I wonder what Manager will want the Job if there's any truth in the story that Hiddink has been advising on squad matters since he left?

I wonder if it was his advice that led to us letting go of players like Ballack, Carvalho Deco etc and replacing them with Beayoun?

I think the Managerr of the team should really advise on playing staff, maybe stretching it a bit here but he should be the one who chooses his number two as well.

 
Cant see Hiddink as next Chelsea manager, wont be surprised to see him involved in some capacity but not as manager.

 
The '5 most likely' according to William Hill has changed overnight as the money has come in. We're now looking at Marco van Basten, Villas-Boas, Hiddink, Redknapp and Rijkaard as the top 5 with MvB leading by a comfortable margin.
Why would van Basten be the most popular choice? His club football career as a manager has been underwhelming to say the least. He sounds like even a bigger risk than Scolari was. What has Rijkaard done since he left Barca? He's spent a few years at Galatasaray, but I don't think he's won anything there, even though Galatasaray is one of the big three in Turkey. Redknapp? Really? REALLY? He doesn't seem like the type of manager that Roman would be looking for. Not in terms of personality or quality. He knows how to spend a lot of money, though. Villas-Boas hasn't won the coveted Champions League trophy, and he doesn't have the experience(neither does van Basten, though), but his season at Porto has been very impressive. He's won everything, his team has scored loads of goals and I think they lost just two matches in all competitions. And he's already been at Chelsea so he knows the place. None of them seem like the obvious choice, but Villas-Boas is the one I'd like to see at Chelsea. Obviously my opinion is worthless in this matter, though... :laugh2:

 
Cant see Hiddink as next Chelsea manager, wont be surprised to see him involved in some capacity but not as manager.
Hiddink (with his own preference) Marco Van Basten in the track suit, certainly has legs !!!

 
Why would van Basten be the most popular choice? His club football career as a manager has been underwhelming to say the least. He sounds like even a bigger risk than Scolari was. What has Rijkaard done since he left Barca? He's spent a few years at Galatasaray, but I don't think he's won anything there, even though Galatasaray is one of the big three in Turkey. Redknapp? Really? REALLY? He doesn't seem like the type of manager that Roman would be looking for. Not in terms of personality or quality. He knows how to spend a lot of money, though. Villas-Boas hasn't won the coveted Champions League trophy, and he doesn't have the experience(neither does van Basten, though), but his season at Porto has been very impressive. He's won everything, his team has scored loads of goals and I think they lost just two matches in all competitions. And he's already been at Chelsea so he knows the place. None of them seem like the obvious choice, but Villas-Boas is the one I'd like to see at Chelsea. Obviously my opinion is worthless in this matter, though... :laugh2:
I think that you have a valid point, of the candidates that are thus far in the frame for getting the job, they're all a risk, but some of them come with a big upside. Villas-Boas has obviously shown a lot of ability with Porto, but as you say is unproven on the big stage. Van Basten on the other hand, doesn't really have much of a managerial back-catalogue to look at at all, but he does seem like the type of manager who will kick the team into shape and do a lot of the things we wish Carlo had done this year. Both of them are going to be a risk, but I feel like these guys have more of a chance of paying off than Rijkaard or Redknapp.

If we can't get Hiddink to be manager (and even if we can, in any case he's unlikely to be around for long at his age) then having him oversee either of the other two guys I've mentioned would be fine by me.

Edit: I wasn't necessarily saying that van Basten was the popular choice, only that if we're treating the odds on William Hill as probabilities (as the thread starter did) then they currently have him pegged as roughly twice as likely to get the job as the next most likely candidate (Villas-Boas)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiddink is my first choice as our new manager, if we can't/don't get him I'd like to see the Special One back at his true stomping ground, and if that fails, Vilas Boas. I don't want Rijkaard, Benitez, and 'Arry anywhere near our club. van Basten is too mediocre and inexperienced IMO, he's neve done great anywhere, all he did when he managed the Netherlands was stir up big conflict and alienate loads of senior players like RvN and Seedorf.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top