Going to the game in Seattle, should be decent. They are merely exhibition matches, but it's a good way for the team to bond and learn their new manger's tactics before they hit the season. Now, I know they could do all that at home but think about it. Matches against teams like Seattle will be desparate to win, so will give a good game.
I know that there is also the downside of players getting injured, just look at joe Cole a couple seasons ago. But there is also the chance to see some of the youngsters get a run out too. I've been to a Roman v Real madrid friendly, and managed to say I've seen Zidane play in the flesh so there are great experiences that can be had. Therefore, it's selfish to not let other parts of the world enjoy a club, or football even, just because folk want them to stay at home.
It was expensive to make the bridge from Scotland, and even expensive enough when I lived in England too. It's bloody extorion to get there from the states now, so if I get to go and see my team....thanks!
This has all started since we became succesful, I agree. Look at the asian cup we played in a couple of seasons back after we got signed by Samsung. We have become the victims of our own success, and it's not like we're the first club to do this.
I think it's great to say I got to see them play, and I hope that some people who've never seen them get bitten by a bug and become Chelsea fans for the rest of their life. one day, they may travel to the bridge, and fulfill a lifelong dream, who knows?!
Also, I think that since we have become a global brand we have to pay thanks to some of the international fans for buying replica shirts, and tuning in to watch the team play as we're broadcast all over the world. It is in large part to these people that we have the money to pay the players we have making us succesful. Do you honestly believe that filling the stadium every week pays everyone's wages? In a way, it's the club saying "Thanks" for helping keep us going.
One year it's asia, one year it's the states. Get used to it, and as for tiring the players; it could also be building team spirit and it's not like they are playing one day, then flying back to start the prem the next....they'll be rested when we need them
Scott