Chelsea v. Valencia match thread [Tuesday, 11-12-07]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could we not score a goal tonight? And how on earth could Kalou miss that chance?

Canizares was great.

Hope we saved the goals for this weekend instead.

 
where the hell is malouda?! swam back to france, did he? we need him on the left, kalou isnt doing it
Malouda accidentally took a few sips of Coke, and he had to go into intensive shock therapy to recover. he's out until after the holidays.

 
Don't know if this has been mentioned already (would be really surprised if it hasn't been) but when are somebody going to teach Sweepy how to produce quality crosses? Did he actually make one decent one all game?

 
SWP annoys me a lot of the time, cant seem to produce a decent cross and loses the ball really easily.

Kalou has good dribbling skills and generally keeps the ball well, but when it comes to actually putting it into the net he seems to miss the easiest chances
actions1.gif


 
ITV4: "and Steven Gerrard inspires a.." then I turned the sound off.

Me: and that whiny cheating horrible Scouse git cons yet another ref. Cometh the hour, cometh the ......*

*insert abusive but true term of choice here

 
Don't know if this has been mentioned already (would be really surprised if it hasn't been) but when are somebody going to teach Sweepy how to produce quality crosses? Did he actually make one decent one all game?
May have mentioned it once or twice.

 
ITV4: "and Steven Gerrard inspires a.." then I turned the sound off.Me: and that whiny cheating horrible Scouse git cons yet another ref. Cometh the hour, cometh the ......*

*insert abusive but true term of choice here
How about we let someone we can do without on the pitch just go berserk on Gerrard?

Let someone like Ben Haim just go in with both feet on Sain Gerrards knee caps and then just jump on his chest and brake a few ribs.

If he survives that (couldn't care less if he didn't) he would atleast be out for quite some time and I just know that would put a smile on your face.
icon_twisted.gif


 
ITV4: "and Steven Gerrard inspires a.." then I turned the sound off.Me: and that whiny cheating horrible Scouse git cons yet another ref. Cometh the hour, cometh the ......*

*insert abusive but true term of choice here
Just saw the penalty incident once and thought SG had done his usual, going nowhere so decides

to purposely trip over the defender. Hate that cheating c**t. Maybe I'm wrong and just being biaed.

Maybe someone else can watch the incident and report to me because I sure as f**k can't bring myself to watch

anything to do with Liverscum tonight.

 
Just got in after missing the match, heard about Liverpool.
346.gif


Can anyone sum give me the low down on this game in a few words?

Has SWP learned to cross?

Has Sheva learned to play football?

Did Kalou miss a few sitters?

Did Grant find his new stylee football under his seat during the game? Or was it business as usual?
icon_lol.gif


Was the stadium packed?

Did Valencia actually make an effort?

Has Malouda been kidnapped by aliens?

Did Pizarro do anything to justify his purchase?

Is everyone in the Christmas spirit?
429.gif


If I hear one more version of jingle bells from the singing and dancing Christmas Tree at my work, I'm going to
actions1.gif


 
Just got in after missing the match, heard about Liverpool.
346.gif
Can anyone sum give me the low down on this game in a few words?

Has SWP learned to cross?

Heeeeeeelllll noooooo! Pretty much sums it up I think. Did perhaps have one decent cross. He missed like 10-15 however.

Has Sheva learned to play football?

Kinda. I thought he was okay in the first half (he went off at half time). Worked hard and found himself in the right place atleast once, but didn't quite manage to score (obviously)

Did Kalou miss a few sitters?

Open net, few yards out, crossbar. That and perhaps a couple more. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

Did Grant find his new stylee football under his seat during the game? Or was it business as usual?
icon_lol.gif


I would have to say Yes here. We certainly did play entertaining, flowing, great football. So that was nice. However, Valencia gave us much time and space to play like that. Still nice to see.

Was the stadium packed?

Yes. Nearly sold out. Think it was a bit over 41k atleast.

Did Valencia actually make an effort?

No. They had two chances during the entire game. Ended up with one shot on goal. They didn't try at all and looked like they had already given up before the game started. Might already have been thinking about their game this weekend against Barca.

Has Malouda been kidnapped by aliens?

No, the french hasn't taken him. Not sure where he is though. Might be working as a dishwasher on Romans yacht.

Did Pizarro do anything to justify his purchase?

Well we technicaly didn't purchase him as we got him for free (apart from his wages of course). But he wasn't bad today. He played well but his finishing was pure s*ite. But it was still better than Kalou
icon_rolleyes.gif


Is everyone in the Christmas spirit?
429.gif


Absolutely. Starting whistling christmas songs mid-november. Started searching for christmas presents awhile ago too. Been helping mom decorating a bit. Must have been lice in the mistletoe though because my crotch has been itching like mad for awhile now. Nothing says Merry Christmas more than an itching crotch.

If I hear one more version of jingle bells from the singing and dancing Christmas Tree at my work, I'm going to
actions1.gif


Tell your boss that either he pull the plug on that effing tree or else you will jingle his bells.
PDT_nunu.gif


However that might just entise him
icon_wink.gif
 
Just got in after missing the match, heard about Liverpool.
346.gif
Did Kalou miss a few sitters?

Open net, few yards out, crossbar. That and perhaps a couple more. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

No change there then.

Did Grant find his new stylee football under his seat during the game? Or was it business as usual?
icon_lol.gif


I would have to say Yes here. We certainly did play entertaining, flowing, great football. So that was nice. However, Valencia gave us much time and space to play like that. Still nice to see.

Well we do seem to play the kind of entertaining football Grant keeps on about when we have opposition that let us play, still that will make Grant crack a smile may be, Valencia are a shadow of the side they were - what the hell happened to them?

Did Valencia actually make an effort?

No. They had two chances during the entire game. Ended up with one shot on goal. They didn't try at all and looked like they had already given up before the game started. Might already have been thinking about their game this weekend against Barca.

I pity Koeman, got his work cut out there turning things around.

Is everyone in the Christmas spirit?
429.gif


Absolutely. Starting whistling christmas songs mid-november. Started searching for christmas presents awhile ago too. Been helping mom decorating a bit. Must have been lice in the mistletoe though because my crotch has been itching like mad for awhile now. Nothing says Merry Christmas more than an itching crotch.

Chistmas songs mid-november? Damn you! I think I'm actually allergic to tinsel I dislike Christmas that much. And on the latter point, I'll take your word for it.
icon_lol.gif


If I hear one more version of jingle bells from the singing and dancing Christmas Tree at my work, I'm going to
actions1.gif


Tell your boss that either he pull the plug on that effing tree or else you will jingle his bells.
PDT_nunu.gif


However that might just entise him
icon_wink.gif


I'll think about it. Thanks for the advice and a quite superb match review, told me all I need to know and a million times more informative than an Avram "we are playing much better football now" Grant post match interview.

I'll trundle off now to be bah humbug to everyone I can find.
 
The game was more or less like a friendly, but Pizarro showed some skill that I think we should expect from him. He didn't score, but he hasn't been playing either so i'll forgive him. As soon as we changed our formation to Pizza being the lone striker he showed why Jose bought him. To backup when Drogs is away.

He was totally controlling our attacking side in the second half. He passed the ball really well and found open spaces on the pitch. He was far from perfect but again he hasn't played too much lately.

I think he can really create scoring chances to our wingers and midfielders and in time he will score himself. Then again maybe it is too early to praise him after this "friendly".

Just read the postmatch comments from Av and was sad to read that he is going to start with Sheva against Arsenal. Sheva is slow and don't know what the h*ll he is doing on the pitch. It is really sad sometimes to watch him play when you how good he can be/used to be.

 
Did Grant find his new stylee football under his seat during the game?
Both Cole and Cech kept mentioning the good football we are playing in the post match interview. Are they being disrespectful to Mourinho?

 
Did Grant find his new stylee football under his seat during the game?
Both Cole and Cech kept mentioning the good football we are playing in the post match interview. Are they being disrespectful to Mourinho?
No not really - I didn't hear either of them say anything about how crap we were before.

 
What a strange match last night. I can't make my mind up what to think about it. Did we play well and were just very unlucky? or should we concerned that we couldn't score against a side that were a shadow of the team that played so well in last years quarter final at the Bridge and who really were not in the least bit interested in being there?

I guess that the answer is a bit of both. Hopefully missing a hatful of chances means that on Sunday we will score from the only shot we have and that it will be the winner!

SWP last night was absolutely shocking. He had a hatful of chances to cross the ball under no pressure and I can't remember him getting even one right. It really was pitiful.

Kalou is an enigma. His general play was pretty sound but when he gets within 12 yards of the goal he has absolutely zero composure. How he missed that chance in the second half I'll never know.

Pizzaro played a very strange role for most of the match. He seemed to sitting at the tip if some sort of midfield diamond. He certainly wasn't playing up front. He had some nice touches but he doesn't look like a goal scorer to me. He actually reminded me a bit of Eidur.

Sheva spent a good part of the first half very isolated up front. He either was having to come very deep or go out wide to get the ball only to find that he was surrounded by about 4 Valencia players. I had assumed that we would try to play to his strengths now that Drogba is out for a while. He ought though to have done a lot better with his early chance.

The half time change to 4-3-3 really didn't work at all. It was the only time in the match that Valencia were able to keep possession. We also then started to pump the ball up to Pizzaro who won absolutely nothing in the air. After Frank went off and we reverted back to the original formation we regained control and really should have won at a canter.

Joe was very lively when he came on. He is most effective when he can pick the ball up, turn and run at the defence through the centre. Last night he had plenty of space to do this and he was unlucky not to score. Unfortunately he doesn't often get the opportunity to do that in the PL.

Tal Ben Haim is an accident waiting to happen. Even last night he managed to almost give two goals away - firstly by completely missing a header and the secondly by diving in out wide and being beaten. I really hope Carvalho is back soon.

So all in all a frustrating evening. By the end the fact we couldn't get the ball in the net became almost comical. The only good thing was that Valencia didn't go and score with their only chance.

 
Valencia weren't just there for the taking - they were there to be well and truly turned over. 5-0 wouldn't have flattered us on the balance of play, but yet again we fail to make our overwhelming superiority count. Slightly worrying this, and I don't take the fact that we'd already qualified as an adequate reason for failing to score.
Becoming a regular occurance. - Derby away, Sunderland at home, Rosenborg at home.Dunno if it's a coincidence but it seems to be whenever Sheva plays up front I'm afraid, or at least when Drogba's missing.

 
Valencia weren't just there for the taking - they were there to be well and truly turned over. 5-0 wouldn't have flattered us on the balance of play, but yet again we fail to make our overwhelming superiority count. Slightly worrying this, and I don't take the fact that we'd already qualified as an adequate reason for failing to score.
Becoming a regular occurance. - Derby away, Sunderland at home, Rosenborg at home.Dunno if it's a coincidence but it seems to be whenever Sheva plays up front I'm afraid, or at least when Drogba's missing.
I don't know that you can place all the blame on Sheva though. Last night there were others who should have scored. And we did win against Derby and Sunderland. and Sheva did score against Sunderland and Rosenborg.

But clearly we are worse off without Drogba - but what can you do. We are never going to have someone as good just sitting on the bench waiting to replace him when he's injured or away at the ACN. As long as we can remain defensively solid then we will win more games than not. The matches against Arsenal and Liverpool in the next week will tell us a lot I think.

 
No not really - I didn't hear either of them say anything about how crap we were before.
You don't think that's implied then.

You don't think that Joe might be enjoying his greater freedom (and increased playing time).

 
No not really - I didn't hear either of them say anything about how crap we were before.
You don't think that's implied then.

You don't think that Joe might be enjoying his greater freedom (and increased playing time).
Almost certainly implied by Joe but I think not by Petr. Joe has/had a vested interest in Jose going in so much as Jose made him work hard at his game and wouldn't let him just play however he liked. I have heard him make comments which suggest that he is happier now than he was when Mourinho was in charge. Personally I think it was better for him but I can understand that he would prefer to play for someone who wasn't on his case so much.

Joe's playing time is a myth. He played plenty under Jose when he was fit. It was nobodys fault he spent most of last season injured.

Cech was just commenting on the game. Nothing wrong with that.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top