Chelsea vs Bolton (Prem) 13/04/10 2000 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say Clearasil works well ... but whatever you do, you shouldn't squeeze them!

 
This title race really is proving to be hazardous to my health!

I really did think Bolton would score in the last ten minutes, we let them come on to us and really should have killed the game off before then. Once Malouda and Joe Cole were on we looked so much more dangerous. Kalou had a nightmare, and his miss when one on one with Jaaskelainen summed his night up.

I kept having flashbacks to Wigan in 2008. Thankfully we got the three points, and they could prove to be a massive three points.

 
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity after last nights game. I thought we did pretty well to come away with three points. It is just the sort of game that we have failed to win earlier in the season. The last 15 minutes were hellish to watch, not because of any real danger but just because of the thought of what might happen. In truth Bolton hardly created a chance worth mentioning, whilst we had a number of good opportunities.

We should have killed the game off early in the second half but didn't and so we just had to dig in and keep a clean sheet.

Bolton were extremely physical. Every time we got the ball with our back to goal a Bolton player would be right up our backside and nibbling away. Mostly nothing too nasty but just enough. The ref was very lenient. On the other hand we apparently got lucky on a couple of penalty shouts.

I do agree that moving away from the 4-3-3 didn't help our attacking play. I don't think it is any coincidence that we are more fluent in that formation.

Kalou is a very frustrating player. He often looks good on the ball, is pretty quick and direct, but his final product, shooting or passing is normally woeful. His chance last night in the second half just cried out for him to take the ball around the keeper.

I hope that we play with width and with Deco and Malouda on Saturday.

 
Tim may be right, leopards have spots - maybe Val's got spotty pussies?
I thought you'd spotted Val's two pussies, Steve

Oh, and I'm with ethical on this one - we did what we had to do (just) and Notlob were trying it on all match. Ancelotti says today that we were justifiable winners as we had 21 shots and were the better side. I agree with that too.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not too negative but i thought we rode our luck a bit, they had a good bit of posession in our half and i was concerned and frustrated we gave them time on the ball and room to pass the ball. Saying that we did have a few chances too but 4-3-3 should have been the formation, and i was impressed with Joey when he came on, Kalou cant offer the same as Malouda and i can only assume Carlo was being cautious not playing him from the start , must start v Spurs.

Im starting to get the butterflies again .

 
I was surprised at Carlo starting Drogba and Anelka against Bolton but can only conclude he was resting Malouda for the game against Spurs. We showed marked improvement when Malouda and Joe Cole came on in the second half and I understand the sense in keeping players fresh and tip the hat to Ancelotti. I was delighted to see Fergie's cynical effort to wind up the Bolton players backfire and fail to produce the upset he was hoping for. I am looking forward to Malouda in the starting lineup against Spurs. In the meantime, I hope Spurs at least grab a point from Arsenal and give us more breathing room at the top of the table. I am looking forward with confidence to our game against Spurs this coming weekend.

Onwards and Upwards, Chelsea!

 
Why do I get the feeling that if we go on from this and win the league, no one will forget this match?

 
I don't care what anyone sys about a couple of decisions. Leagues are won over the course of a season and everyone gets good and bad decisions.

Referring decisions can win you cups and whilst Utd fans moan about decisions they may want to remember that the only piece of silverware they are likely to win this season (fingers crossed, touch wood etc) was largely courtesy of Vidic not being sent off when he should have been.

And MON will do well to remember that Villa wouldn't even have been in the FA Cup if not for a referring error which secured them a replay against Crystal Palace back in February.

 
Seriously folks, it's grinding out results like that which will lead to Premiership Glory. I for one am glad that we finally took advantage of the possibility to forge some space between us and the Mancs.

We all touted this as a must win, and we did!

Now, bring on Tottenham!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top