Chelsea vs Porto. Show must go on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were very lucky in this.laughable that mourinho is being praised so much- he was totally out thought today
Porto created one chance and scored it. Lampard and Ballack were out played.

We were dominating all 2nd half and could score much more.

And when score was 2-1 there were no chances for Porto to equalise!!

Mourinho was out thought???
icon_rolleyes.gif


 
Cech 7 not much he could do with the goalDiarra 7 good on the ball and got at Quaresma quite well

Riccy 8 glad to have some stability there

Essien 8 so calm under pressure although sometimes wanders

Cole 8 done well and got forward a bit

Maka 6 done okay as usual

Robben 6 gave them something to think about -1 for the dive

Lamps 5 missed passes and pointless backwards passes

Ballack 6 not enough effort but a few decent passes and the goal

Sheva 6 started well but no service, good set up for Ballacks goal

Drogba 6 rolled about too much but improved after the break

subs

Mikel 8 best player second half

Fereira 7 done his job well

Kalou not enough time to rate

thats how I saw it, glad were through but we need to improve on that showing bigtime.
Those ratings are exactly what I'd jotted down so you've saved me the job!! (Other than I gave Mikel 8.5 as he got my MOTM).

What also pleased me is how well we saw the game out towards the end. Knowing that Porto only needed to get a late goal and we'd have been buggered, you always worry that you'll concede a late goal. But it never looked like happening. We kept the ball in their half so they couldn't threaten and Drogba in particular did well to use up much of the 4 minutes injury time.

What a relief!!!!!

 
Incidentally have the UEFA/G14 axis of evil taken a sabbatical this year? NO
conspiracy.gif
we are being cleverly lulled into a false sense of security.

that's why they gave liverpool barca- because they knew barca would be out of form.

 
man of the match was definately mikel. thought he was excellent last night. looked so cool and composed on the ball. but i thought he was brought in as an attacking player.

 
Incidentally have the UEFA/G14 axis of evil taken a sabbatical this year? NO
conspiracy.gif
we are being cleverly lulled into a false sense of security.

that's why they gave liverpool barca- because they knew barca would be out of form.
I find this a bit of a head-scratcher. I felt sure that the howls of derision that accompanied most of Mr Rosetti's decisions last night would have come through loud and clear on any TV.

Drogba was the recipient of a many G14esque decisions on the evening. For much of the game it seemed he had only to smile at an opponent and Mr Rosetti would gleefully stop play and award a free-kick.

To be frank, most people in the MHU seemed to find him wildly inconsistent. A vivid case in point was his failure to blow for the blatant obstructino on Carvalho late in the game. To coin a phrase it was "Russian roulette refeereing". You just never knew what he was going to do next.

Fortunately, thank God, it never cost us on the night. But a good refeering performance?
icon_eek.gif
Methinks not, and judging by the noise levels, and the "you don't know what you're doing" chants, many in the ground obviously felt the same way.

 
I find this a bit of a head-scratcher. I felt sure that the howls of derision that accompanied most of Mr Rosetti's decisions last night would have come through loud and clear on any TV.
Not sure about what came through on the TV, but my neighbours definitely knew what I thought of the ref
icon_lol.gif


He was totally inconsistent - he rightly booked Robben for diving (his second dive in about 5 minutes), then let a Porto defender get away with exactly the same thing without even giving a free-kick. Overall, I thought his refereeing was very poor - no surprise there, then.

 
) Trouble is Loz, as good as Maka is at what he does, he gives us virtually Zilch in a game when we're 1-0 down and need to win 2-1.
I don't agree that he gives us zilch - a large amount of our attacks are started by Maka doing the simple things well and releasing the likes of Robben, Lamps and Ballack.
That's what Maka does when he is at the top of his game - but he hasn't been for a while now. Don't get me wrong, I agree that Maka had a better first half than bothe Ballack and Lamps, but when you need two goals to stay in a competition you are not gonna take off players than can provide that goal and in situations like that, Maka is a luxury. Mikel came on on it was the positive switch that totally changed the game.
I actually think this could well be Maka's last season or if not he will be a bit part player for us next season. He seems to be playing less and less (half a game last night same as Carling cup final). Essien, Mikel and Diarra are all ready made replacements.

I'd be sad to see him go but hey, the future looks pretty damned good.

 
I find this a bit of a head-scratcher. I felt sure that the howls of derision that accompanied most of Mr Rosetti's decisions last night would have come through loud and clear on any TV.
Not sure about what came through on the TV, but my neighbours definitely knew what I thought of the ref
icon_lol.gif


He was totally inconsistent - he rightly booked Robben for diving (his second dive in about 5 minutes), then let a Porto defender get away with exactly the same thing without even giving a free-kick. Overall, I thought his refereeing was very poor - no surprise there, then.
I feel Liam and G4 equate us getting through the tie as automatically meaning it was a good performance by the match officials. When, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

I mentioned Drogba in my last post. But reading through it again, I feel I haven't fairly represented the opposite view. I realise I never mentioned how Mr Rosetti was equally contented to watch Porto players kick, push and pull Drogba and then inevitably wave play on with a cheery smile and an extravagent spreading of the arms.

In truth Bluebeard, I thought the man was an abomination of a referee. He scared me to death everytime he put the whistle to his lips. But in the true tradition of many of the "top" UEFA referees he was very deeply tangoed. And for that alone, he should be congratulated.

 
you don't need to speculate as to why I thought the referee was good- I've already said why, and I stand by my comments absolutely. I hope he gets the final, if he is on that form.

 
you don't need to speculate as to why I thought the referee was good- I've already said why, and I stand by my comments absolutely. I hope he gets the final, if he is on that form.
It's a game of opinions G4. And you are entitled to yours. However, it would seem your opinion was not shared by many in Stamford Bridge last night.

I would love you to comment specifically on the Carvalho decision though.

 
it would seem that way. god knows I'm used to it by know...

which decision... the block you mentioned? no errors really stuck in my mind so I'm not sure I can comment. though every referee, always makes errors. I'm not saying it was a flawless peformance, but IMO, it was certainly the best we've seen at the bridge in a very long time. had mikel not come on, I'd have been tempted to give him the motm.
icon_wink.gif


 
[i feel Liam and G4 equate us getting through the tie as automatically meaning it was a good performance by the match officials.
Wrong.

I equate the officials getting most decisions correct as meaning it was a good performance from them. There may have been a few mistakes but in general he was decisive and fair in my opinion.

Had I been at the match of course I would have howled with derision at every single decision he made which was not in our favour.

Isn't that the job of the supporter?

 
I thought the ref had a reasonable game as well - not perfect (what ref ever is) but far from awful.

Yes he booked Robben for diving (and rightly so I'm sure we all agree, apart from Sofa Manager who is Portuguese and therefore corrupt by default) and didn't book the Porto defender for the same offence but I don't think that was double standards, he just made a mistake and actually thought the defender had been fouled.

I didn't get the impression watching the game that his decisions particularly favoured either side. Again that isn't to say he got them all correct, just that I didn't sense an imbalance.

 
I would say that the ref didn't unduly influence the game in anyone's favour and generally let play flow.

I would say that make's it a good performance compared to 95% of the refs we see at the Bridge.

 
A lot of decisions didn't go our way but to be fair to the ref those were made by his linesmen rather than him and he couldn't overrule them if he couldn't see the incident himself. I recall several wrong throw in decisions going against us particularly from one liney.

 
I recall several wrong throw in decisions going against us particularly from one liney.
Thanks Geezer. You may have unearthed our
conspiracy.gif


 
Robben deserved a booking and i thought the Ref was as good as you'll get in Europe .

Makka has all the qualities needed in the position he's good at and i think hes unfairly critisised but hes there for certain games for his effect .

Essien is just CLASS , his ability to win the ball, pass , work rate and skill is the best ive seen in the Premiership in a long time , the man is a class act.

Robben annoys me at times , his first season he was unstoppable , went past defenders for fun , great close control and scored important goals but now because hes not guranteed at first start i get the impression he's lost confidence and beeds a good run of games.

Overall , i thought we well deserved the win , not as convincing as i thought it would be but im confident , injury free were capable of producing the form were capable of to reach the final.

 
I thought the ref had a reasonable game as well - not perfect (what ref ever is) but far from awful. Yes he booked Robben for diving (and rightly so I'm sure we all agree, apart from Sofa Manager who is Portuguese and therefore corrupt by default) and didn't book the Porto defender for the same offence but I don't think that was double standards, he just made a mistake and actually thought the defender had been fouled.

I didn't get the impression watching the game that his decisions particularly favoured either side. Again that isn't to say he got them all correct, just that I didn't sense an imbalance.
I think ref was OK.

And also I think not many of you have seen double standards by ref.

It`s when ref selects an area of 30 metres from gates, where defending side can do anything with attacking side`s players with ball, I mean ref becomes blind and doesn`t see any pushes, tackles and hard tackles. And defending side, understanding that, becomes harder and harder to just violent level. I`ve seen this double standards in CL quarters in 1995/96 Spartak Moscow - Nantes with Serg Mumentaller at charge. What a bar steward he is. I can say it was much more difficult then to play 10 men team against Barcelona and was just difficult to watch. Frisk and Hauge are just angels if compared with Mumentaller.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top