Cult TV series.

I just picked up The Corner for £3 in my local CEX. It's said to be the forerunner of The Wire has anyone seen it?.
It's another little Baltimore storyline but from the junkies' point of view. It features a lot of actors who appear in the Wire (although all in different roles), but none of the characters. It somehow manages to be a lot darker than the Wire too. Worth a watch though, very engaging and it's only six episodes long if I recall correctly?

 
It's not bad, but comparing to The Wire it has more of a touch of a documentary so the story is obviously not that deep and grasping.

The real precursor of The Wire (and The Corner too) was Homicide, another cop show playing in Baltimore. I loved that almost as much as The Wire, it's definitely worth checking out.
Homicide is great and I think was very influential. More recently I also liked Southland, which is quite a similar show set in Los Angeles.
 
As ground breaking and influential as The Wire was this is the best thing about it. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit


 
As ground breaking and influential as The Wire was this is the best thing about it. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit

I'm usually not for foul language

However, the scene in season 1 where Mcnulty and Bunk are investigating the crime scene and all they say is f**k is pretty good as well

 
Anyone seen/watching Orange is the New Black? I've just started season 1 and I've just finished watching episode 6 (I think!). Enjoyable so far and without sounding like a feminist it is good to have a decent, American comedy/drama with female lead characters.

 
I've been watching Danish series recently and thoroughly enjoyed them. Great dramas with complex characters, well written stories and generally treating the viewers as adults. A breath of fresh air for me compared to most of the American series.

So far I finished:

Bron

Forbrydelsen

Den som draeber

And still on my waiting list but not for long:

Borgen

Ornen: en Krimi-Odysse

Rejseholdet

 
Talking of cult tv or tv in general, you may remember i told of a channel called BONANZA on freeview that showed many good old oldies....Well that just disappeared . BUT..Now on freeview there is a channel that is showing lots of our good old progs such as......STAR TREK origional...NEXT GENERATION.....ORIGIONAL HAWAII 5 O......ORIGIONAL GUNSMOKE etc etc...All on CBS ACTION..........Nostalgia at its best

 
Has anyone been watching Ripper Street on Amazon? Holy crap, I've just been put through an emotional roller coaster.

 
Anyone seen/watching Orange is the New Black? I've just started season 1 and I've just finished watching episode 6 (I think!). Enjoyable so far and without sounding like a feminist it is good to have a decent, American comedy/drama with female lead characters.
I've watched both series of that, it's very good, i like the way that they tell the characters back story as well! 

 
Not sure about cult tv series, but I love the humor in Californication.
I'm gutted it's finished. The 25 min episodes make it so easy to watch. One of the few properly funny American comedy series.

 
just curious if my English Mates like the adventures of a Great English Fisherman. Jeremy Wade has show here in the States called River Monsters that is shown on the Animal Channel. Wade travels the Globe in search for River Monsters. Check this out & see if you like

​


 
Halfway through the Band of Brothers series - all I can say is wow! Really, really good so far.

 
Halfway through the Band of Brothers series - all I can say is wow! Really, really good so far.
I saw it when it first aired on BBC2, all those years ago. Got the boxset, I always give it a watch at least once every year, brilliant series, though hardly cult!

The follow-up, The Pacific, is nowhere near as good.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it when it first aired on BBC2, all those years ago. Got the boxset, I always give it a watch at least once every year, brilliant series, though hardly cult!

The follow-up, The Pacific, is nowhere near as good.
Couldn't find anywhere else to post it!  :smile:

9.6 on IMDB is still excellent!

 
Just acquired the set of I, Claudius. I know some people who just couldn't get into it at all but I thought it was brilliant. Thoroughly absorbing, great acting, great cast, particularly John Hurt as the completely barmy Caligula, but also Brian Blessed, Sian Phillips, Derek Jacobi etc, plus Patrick Stewart when he still had hair!

 
  • Like
Reactions: moi
Back
Top