Do fans still care about the FA Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumsteadCFC

Youth Team
Messages
237
Reaction score
6
I still love the Cup as much as when I was a nipper and I dream of the day we overtake Spurs in overall wins in the Cup which I hope to live to see.

Success in the Cup means as much to me as success in the league, not more, every year I hope we, at minimum qualify for the Champs league but have a good old go at winning the Cup as well.

Do others hold the Cup in the same esteem nowdays? Just wondering?

 
This particular Chelsea squad would be very happy to win the FA Cup, I think. It's the only silverware they have any realistic chance of winning.

 
Thats part of my thought behind the thread.

I think most fans nowdays would see "only" winning the Cup as a failure. Of course the league/cl is a bigger comp but I hate to see the day when we dont prioritise winning the cup and treat it as Mickey Mouse.

Its still magic to me.

 
I would LOVE to see us win it this year, still a great trophy to have. But like Bumstead said, winning it on its own isnt enough for some fans anymore.

 
I still love the FA Cup, so many memories over the years. It doesn't seem that long ago that a cup run felt like everything.

Despite our success in recent years the run in 94 gave me some of my favourite/best memories from watching Chelsea.

I do fear that the way the final has been treated in recent years might well have an effect in it's popularity. It should always been the final game of the domestic season without doubt.

 
Agreed with Scooby here. Fantastic competition and should be the end game every season

I would be elated if we won it this year. Almost got into a bit of aggro at a ore season game in the US after we won the fa cup some idiot was shouting "you won nothing last year!". A quick, Gentle reminder had him scurrying back to a safer location in the stands

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It still is my favourite competition.

97 FA Cup was the first thing I ever saw us win and I never thought I'd see Chelsea win anything.

I just love the romance of the 3rd round draw and playing teams you would under normal circumstances never get to play, but Man U devalued it massively by pulling out as did the FA by allowing and encouraging them to do it.

 
Agree Myles it was a ludicrous decision. Completely unfathomable that the FA did not, at the least make them enter a hybrid reserve/youth side whilst their first team were in Brazil. A defending champion not defending it is insanity. Along with your point and Scoobys (not playing it as the last game of the season) not playing it at Wembley from 01-06, changing the 3rd round to December and the demise of the Cup Winners Cup have all affected the FA Cups status.

I hope we, as Chelsea fans ALWAYS treat the competition with the respect it deserves.

 
I became a Chelsea fan because of the 1970 FA Cup. Back then it was massive. To me, it's still a big trophy.

 
One of the highlights of the football calender is the 3rd round draw.

The last true,major free for all in football,with no 'fixed' ties for the benefit of Mr corperate,(City vs Utd for example)

A brillant competition,where even the minnows have dreams come true.

Honestly,why wouldn't fans care?.

 
In my opinion the F.A cup is the best domestic cup comp in world football and prob the most famous, I love the magic of the cup and agree with sean that it should be the final fixture of the season. And this is why i love the F.A cup.


 
My favourite competition of all. Playing football as a kid I always dreamt of going up the Wembley steps to collect the cup as winning captain - never gave a thought for any other competition

 
I love it, yeah its not as good as winning the league but would be fantastic for us to win it this yr.

 
My favourite competition of all. Playing football as a kid I always dreamt of going up the Wembley steps to collect the cup as winning captain - never gave a thought for any other competition
My dreams were more about raising the Simod cup....Now that was a trophy worth winning.

 
We've got as good a chance as any of winning the CL as well. Even Barca have off days and we traditionally handle them well. Dropping points at teams like Wigan will cost us the league with City demolishing all-comers so thats the only competition I'm prepared accept is out of reach at this point.

 
My dreams were more about raising the Simod cup....Now that was a trophy worth winning.
Nah! The Cross Channel Trophy was the one.

Seriously I love the FA Cup, always have done and look forward to every draw we are in. Chelsea have always paid respect to this competition, club and fans alike, shame others haven't.

 
For me the FA cup is on par with the league. Getting the double two seasons ago was amazing, I don't care if we don't win the CL as long as we get another double. Although the CL would make it even more sweeter.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top