Essien breaks from internationals to boost Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

abramovich

Bored billionaire
Messages
6,576
Reaction score
4,629
Great news, he needs to attempt to stay fit for at least most of the season and concentrating on the club campaign should definitely help. That, plus Anelka's ending French national team career makes things easier for Carlo.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/40395.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Michael Essien has chosen to temporarily withdraw his services for the Ghana national side in order to focus on club concerns with Chelsea.

Essien sustained a knee injury at the African Nations Cup in January that ruled him out for the remainder of Chelsea's season, as well as Ghana's campaign at the 2010 World Cup.

The midfielder has suffered with a number of fitness problems during his time at Stamford Bridge and wants to ease the strain on his body by enjoying an international hiatus.

"I think I will be taking a break," Essien said. "Not retiring, just not playing for time. I have to take the right decision for myself. I don't know whether they will be disappointed because they have done fine without me."

Essien's statement comes as a real setback for a Ghana side that, although they reached the World Cup quarter-finals, would welcome their iconic captain when fit.

Only recently, Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac said he was looking forward to Essien returning to the Black Stars squad having missed the World Cup in South Africa.

"Michael is still an important component of this side, he is a special player," Rajevac said. "Essien brings a special dimension to this team. We are looking forward to having him back with us."

 
Best news from Essien in ages - just hope he doesnt bump into that that dirty bar steward Coker again

 
Brilliant Essien! Really glad he will only focus on Chelsea for some time!

 
True Blue He Is!

IMO simply one of the best footballers on the planet when fit and on form.

 
When players like Carjacker and Scholes quit on their country they're a disgrace and should be shot. However it with Essien it's ok! When you win the double you can have double standards ;)

 
I guess I am going to go against the grain here but I don't like what Essien has done. Ryan Giggs picked and chose the games he played for his country, Essien shouldn't.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
i think essiens doing it for the right reasons he has had injurys and just wants to get back were hewas wich im not sure but think that differs from ur giggs and scholes senarios

 
I guess I am going to go against the grain here but I don't like what Essien has done. Ryan Giggs picked and chose the games he played for his country, Essien shouldn't.
Essien may figure that theres nothing coming up on the international schedule thats nearly as important as whats on his club schedule. He may also be worried about reaggrivating hsi injury, and seeks to give himself as much recovery time as possible.

ACN aside, the next big tournament for his country is in 4 years if Im not mistaken. He's just taking a break, not retiring. I imagine he we will back back before WC qualifiers or even before next ACN.

 
Essien may figure that theres nothing coming up on the international schedule thats nearly as important as whats on his club schedule. He may also be worried about reaggrivating hsi injury, and seeks to give himself as much recovery time as possible.

ACN aside, the next big tournament for his country is in 4 years if Im not mistaken. He's just taking a break, not retiring. I imagine he we will back back before WC qualifiers or even before next ACN.
That is exactly what I dislike. I always criticised the likes of Giggs for it so I can't change my tune just because it is a Chelsea player. International friendlies are important for the manager and the squad to prepare for the 'more important' ones. Picking and choosing what games you are prepared to play in is a selfish and maybe even a little arrogant.

 
Whats good for the Giggs, is good for the Ghanaian.

 
Brilliant news that's full commitment right there!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Drogba follows Essien's example.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2010/08/30/2094865/didier-drogba-quits-cote-divoire-national-team?

Didier Drogba Quits Cote D’Ivoire National Team

Chelsea talisman Didier Drogba will not make himself available for national duty with Cote d'Ivoire for the forseeable future.

The week-long rumours of Didier Drogba’s probable withdrawal from the Cote D’Ivoire national team have been confirmed. The team’s new coach François Zahoui told reporters in Abidjan on Saturday, during his official presentation by the FA, that his recent meeting with the Premier League top scorer in London had not been fruitful.

Zahoui personally visited Drogba to summon him for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Rwanda on Saturday, but the Chelsea’s forward declined the call, giving more awful news of his departure.

“I truly met Drogba in London. He told me he was so tired that he wanted to withdraw from the national team for a while. Drogba is a world class player who is indispensable for the Elephants, but I had to respect his decision. We will let him rest to recover his mental and physical strength and pray he comes back some day to the national team,†Zahoui said.

However, sports analysts across the country are suggesting Drogba was leaving not because he was tired, like he said, but was simply frustrated with unending criticisms he is facing at the FA and in the team’s set-up.

But the FA president Jacques Anoma reassured there was no problem between the FA and the 32-year-old former captain of the Elephants.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say it comes a bit surprising to me that Drogba quits ....considering how popular he is in his home country its a bit strange in my opinion.

But that can only be good for Chelsea..

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top