Essien to AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

First Team Regular
Messages
2,317
Reaction score
2
Supposedly Milan are interested in Ess for between 18-25M, and I have to say that if the price was near the top end of that bracket, sadly I wouldn't object too much to us cashing in. He was a player who I really thought would be here for many many years, but the last two seasons we've seen him injured time and time again, and on distinctly average form when fit, which leads me to think a parting of ways for a lot of money, might not be such a bad idea. When you also consider that Ramires seems to have settled nicely, and I personally would rather we didnt play both him and Essien at the same time, it makes even more sense to put our chips on the former as the foundation for our future midfield.

Is this heresy?

 
Don't want him to go anywhere, hes had a bad moment but hes one of the best out there.

 
Don't want him to go anywhere, hes had a bad moment but hes one of the best out there.
wages and the 25mill could help the fifa fair play rules but hes is still quality but if the money is right do it because we got players in his position and we can spend on a creative player with that or a winger

 
We dont have a history of selling players who the club thinks are important unless the player himself wants out. Essien is believed to be one of the important players of the squad and I doubt he'd ever want out on his own.

 
If Essien gets back to his best next season, he will be vital to the team.

 
Essien has had an average season due to a few bad injuries, before that he was one of are most consistent players and the heartbeat of the team! Would be very disappointed if we lost essien in the near future! I have no doubt he will be back to his best next season with a good pre-season under his belt...

 
Tim you're not committing heresy because I thought the same thing when I saw the article.

One thing that has become clear this season is that we really need another creative midfielder in the centre of the park, Lamps is getting old and it showed just how much we rely on his creativity in midfield during his time out. There's an saying used in Brazilian football where a team is said to have too many piano carriers and not enough piano players. I think it describes our midfield without Lampard well, a Ramires, Essien and Mikel midfield just doesn't create enough.

Now adding that extra creative midfielder to the lineup for next season may make it one player too many. If we were to assume that one is to leave it won't be Lampard or Ramires who are certain to stay for obvious reasons. This leaves Essien and Mikel. Mikel is younger, less injury prone, and has lower wages. Essien is also likely to demand a large fee on the market, which is largely related to the fact that he is more well rounded and better player.

It would have been unthinkable two seasons ago, and perhaps he has just had a bad year as all players are entitled to do, and I'm being harsh. However, if Milan offered 25m for Essien and we had a suitable replacement, I wouldn't be entirely against the idea. That said it wouldn't concern me at all if he stayed either.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
But didn't we say this last year, only for him to get injured again? However class he has been in the past, we haven't seen evidence of it for a while, and the regular injuries are a big worry for me.

Edit: was responding to posts above spillers

 
Last edited by a moderator:
And am on the same page entirely Spiller. If he stays and recaptures fitness and form, I'd be ecstatic. I just worry it won't happen and your comment about our midfield balance is very true indeed. Far too reliant on an aging Frank for goals and assists.

 
Id take 25 million for him today. Cant see him getting back to his best, knee injuries are hard to recover from.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
There's talk of us signing yann m'vila for 25m (probably another name out the hat) but he is a quality player. But there's no way I'd be wanting essien to go, I don't think he's been as bad as people are making out either, his lack of creativity has been highlighted, due to franks injury and poor form, but that's never really been his game.

I'd definately give him another season with some fresh faces to bring his best out of him, and if he's struggling this

time next year then maybe look to cash in on him then. We'd still be looking at 15m for him next year, players like him deserve to have a reprieve. Look at drogba in the 2008 season, he only scored bout 5 goals!

Let's show him some loyalty!

 
Hell no we need to keep essien he plays a HUGE part in the team, Not just on the pitch but also off the pitch, he's been with us for some time now and i want him to stay for aslong as possible.

 
But didn't we say this last year, only for him to get injured again? However class he has been in the past, we haven't seen evidence of it for a while, and the regular injuries are a big worry for me.

Edit: was responding to posts above spillers
This

 
to say that i'd take 25m for essien would be a lie, i dont care if he has dipped in form recently it doesnt mean he's ready to wind down and that we should cash in while we can, its the same as drogba, i dont want our players going to another club then coming back to score against us in the champions league or going on to be even better players. I say keep him here and watch him return to the essien we have all come to know.

 
Absolutely love the guy to bits but personally if we were offered the top end of that price bracket I'd take it.

There's no doubting Essien's contribution to the club in the past and the quality he brings but I do have serious doubts about his knees and his capability of being able to play the bulk of a season.

Like some others have already said I also wouldn't be dismayed if he stayed and I cite last season as an example where we really started to hit the ground running after he returned from injury. If the club can be as certain as they can that his knees are okay then by all means turn down the offer but if the club can't be that certain then take the money

 
25 mill for an injury prone player who is soon to hit his 30's and who has limited creativity, shooting and passing ability? - yes please

The transfer fee + salary savings would fund one "marquee" signing or two decent squad players. Doubt it will happen though as he only signed an extension last year.

A fit and motivated Michael Essien can be immense (I will always love him for his screamers against barca and arsenal), unfortunately he hasn't been playing anywhere near to a high enough standard for some time now. Out with the old and in with the new, plus it will be one less player we lose to the African Nations.

 
25 mill for an injury prone player who is soon to hit his 30's and who has limited creativity, shooting and passing ability? - yes please

The transfer fee + salary savings would fund one "marquee" signing or two decent squad players. Doubt it will happen though as he only signed an extension last year.

A fit and motivated Michael Essien can be immense (I will always love him for his screamers against barca and arsenal), unfortunately he hasn't been playing anywhere near to a high enough standard for some time now. Out with the old and in with the new, plus it will be one less player we lose to the African Nations.
What? Seriously? jesus.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top