Euro08 Team Of The Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

loz

The Schoolmaster
Staff member
Messages
22,723
Reaction score
6,609
Pick your best eleven

GK - Casillas

DR - Ramos

DL - Zhirkov

DC - Chiellini

DC - Marchena

MR - Sneijder

ML - Iniesta

MC - Modric

MC - Senna

FC - David Villa

FC - Van Nistelrooy

Areas I disputed were whether to partner Villa with Torres, Arshavin or Van Nistelrooy

Also I was loathed to put Ramos in at right back because although I do rate him I didn't think he had a great tournament however I was struggling to think of another right back who did play well. Boswings was in with a shout but he looked defensively dodgy on a few occasions.

Finally I nearly picked Boruc over Casillas however that seemed ridiculous given that Casillas went all the way to the final and Boruc only played 3 games.

Not a single German in there which is maybe a tad harsh given that they got to the final however the only one possibly in contention is Schweinstieger (spelling?). Ballck had a shout prior to the semi final but he was very poor in that game then again in the final.

Rather packed with Spaniards I know but lets face it they were by far the best side in the tournament.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Buffon

Chiallini

Puyol

Zhirkov

Sneijder

Deco

Modirc

Iniesta

Arshavin

Torres

 
BuffonChiallini

Puyol

Zhirkov

Sneijder

Deco

Modirc

Iniesta

Arshavin

Torres
One of your players got a red card or what?

-X-

Anyway, here's my XI :

-------------------------------------------Buffon------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Chillieni----------------Puyol--------------------------------

--Ramos-------------------------------------------------------------------------Lahm--

-----------------------------Ballack-----------------Deco--------------------------------

--Schweinsteiger-----------------------------------------------------------------Silva--

-------------------------------------------------------Arshavin----------------------------

---------------------------------------Villa--------------------------------------------------

 
A travesty to man if Iniesta isn't included in the team of the tournament, I'm glad to see he's been included in the teams so far. That Spuds git Modric also deserves to be in there.

 
would go along with loz' side but with buffon for casillas. I think for the partner for villa there are a few choices- van nistelrooy is fair though, played very well.

 
Iker Casillas

Hamit Altintop

Carlos Marchena

Pepe

Yuri Zhirkov

Wesley Sneijder

Andres Iniesta

Xavi Hernandez

Michael Ballack

Lukas Podolski

Andrei Arshavin

 
Only one person so far has picked Xavi despite him being player of the tournament. Also

Uefa have also announced their 23-man squad of the tournament and, not surprisingly, Spain are the best represented country with nine players.However, there is no place in the squad for Portugal and Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.
Fantastic.

 
Only one person so far has picked Xavi despite him being player of the tournament. AlsoFantastic.
Just felt that iniesta was a little more speciale for them, deco was outstanding in all his games, and modrich for me was the most impressve player

 
Just felt that iniesta was a little more speciale for them, deco was outstanding in all his games, and modrich for me was the most impressive player
thought xavi was, senna aside, spain's most consistent player, but we wasn't at his absolute best- he deferred a lot to silva and iniesta and did the best job for the team, rather than for himself.

also, iniesta in a wider position had less competition, as you say, difficult to pick xavi ahead of modric.

 
...............................Buffon....................................

Lahm..........Marchena..........Boularouhz............Zhirkov

.............................Senna....................................

.....................Xavi..............Ballack........................

............................Schneider.................................

..................Villa.....................Arshavin...................

I really want to put Iniesta into that team somewhere, but he doesn't fit.

 
I would go for a 3-5-2 of;

…………….Buffon……………

Puyol…...Marchena…...Pepe…

............Senna……………

Sneijder….Ballack….Iniesta…

.…………Arshavin...............

………Villa………Nihat.........

 
Only one person so far has picked Xavi despite him being player of the tournament. AlsoFantastic.
Perfectly reasonable...

As for my team... well I have to admit I can hardly remember what happened in Euro 2008...

Who won again? :D

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top