I actually thought they were going to win it this time. If you looked at it with any ounce of logic, then of course, England shouldn't have even been in the equation. But the way things just kept falling into place, even to the point of Rodri going off at half time and Palmer stealing the equaliser, I am actually baffled it didn't happen.
He gets a lot of stick, but I like Southgate. The bar for 'success' in English international football was so low when he took over, that he has to be called a success. Anyone who says that he should have won anything with the teams he has had is either arrogant or delusional. There have been great England teams that have never got close to where he has, there have been great teams from other nations that have also come short. He has raised that bar and is now punished for it. England fans are falling into the trap of a newly promoted side, who get a couple of years in mid table and then think they should be playing like 2010 Barca and winning the league so they sack the bloke that got them there. I think hes done a great job.
However, he needs to move on now, for himself more than anything. I realsied this goes against my last point but I think there is a difference between wanting a manager to go because you're annoyed/think they have failed, and thinking a natural cycle has come to an end. He has taken England as far as he can, he has raised the bar for what will now be seen as successful. This tournament and the critisism he and the team recieved in the media and social media shows this. We are regressing to the toxic relationships the country has had with the team and if Southgate sticks around any longer, he risks losing the progress and praise he deserves for the job he's done.
Personally, I would go all out for Tuchel. The bloke is built for tournament football. Everything you would say about what this England team is missing, he will give us. Howe is a good manager, but is yet to be proven as a winner. Lee Carsley would be a failure before he starts due to the public meltdown that would take place. I think Lampard would be decent but probably falls into the Howe category. But as I said, Tuchel for me. And we'll win the world cup, with a German, on penalties