Expectations for the rest of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will get 3rd in the league

We will win the Champions League Final at Wembley beating Real Madrid
Nah....feck it!!! lets retain the title and win the Champions League, lets have Man Ure @ Wembley though!!!! :JC_doubleup:

 
I'd be happy with FA cup and CL qualification.
I agree. Let's face it.

We are now fifth in the league table and have come to a stage where we must reconsider our priorities.

We will not win the league title this season.

Because of the lack of quality in squad replacements winning the CL is not in the cards.

The thought of meeting Barcelona in the knock-out stages of the CL and defeating them is a pipe dream.

Our recent poor form attests to that.

The FA Cup is our only hope of picking up some silverware.

I'll be delighted if we win the FA Cup and pick up a top four spot in the league.

 
I think realistically we should be aiming to finish 3rd. I think 4th is okay but we definately need to requalify for the Champions League and 2nd is probably out of our reach from here.

As for the FA Cup and Champions League, we should obviously be aiming to go as far as possible. It's all well and good to say we are or aren't good enough to get either peice of silverware, but honestly, both are basically cup competitions so anything can happen. We can only go out there, try and see what happens.

 
Expectations wise I'm surprised the slump has gone on this long, I expected it a while back and said while we were still top that I expected us to drop down the table a couple of places before we got our best players fit and playing well again, its gone on too long for me to be that confident now and with Mikel now picking up an injury I am more wary of the games against UTD as although I wouldn't choose him as a starter every game, the UTD games I would.

I still think the team should be aiming for the title at least in their minds and beating UTD home and away would be great for our season whatever the final placings, also a knock to their confidence could see them make a couple of slips, we can't let them go undefeated and if we stop that, who knows what will happen.

I know our form looks nothing like a team to do the double over the league leaders but a couple of months ago I would have said we did..now we need to get things back to normal and make sure of that automatic CL place at least, the way hings have gone a good run in the CL and a real effort at holding on to the FA Cup would be a good return on a season where cutbacks and injuries have wasted a great start that could have seen a few more records broken.

 
Top 4 , FA cup win, semi final in the CL will do me fine. However, we are a long way from that when we can't beat the worst team in the league. 1 week has gone in January, we haven't signed anyone and not even rumored with anyone, not a good sign.

 
Top 4 , FA cup win, semi final in the CL will do me fine. However, we are a long way from that when we can't beat the worst team in the league. 1 week has gone in January, we haven't signed anyone and not even rumored with anyone, not a good sign.
"not even rumoured with anyone" is pretty meaningless. And even so it's not true. We've recently been linked with Gary Cahill, David Luiz and plenty of other players. If we are to buy, then it shouldn't be done too hastily. The FA Cup weekend gives us a break from the league, and also gives us the opportunity to sign someone in time for the Blackburn game, or failing that, Bolton away. I'm not saying this is what will happen, just that it's too soon to start panicking over the lack of signings so far.

 
Top 4 , FA cup win, semi final in the CL will do me fine. However, we are a long way from that when we can't beat the worst team in the league. 1 week has gone in January, we haven't signed anyone and not even rumored with anyone, not a good sign.
Have you not got access to any newspapers or tv? Weve been linked to all kinds of random players as usual.

 
Have you not got access to any newspapers or tv? Weve been linked to all kinds of random players as usual.
Yeah all the usual crap. The problem with the rumours with us is that it's always someone ridiculous who we'd never pay for (eg. Ibrahimovic, Kaka or Torres) or someone who is never gonna be allowed to leave (eg. Subotic, Schweinstieger, Sneijder) There's rarely ever someone who you think 'wow he is good and we could get him as well.' It's really only those ones I get a bit excited over.

 
I'd happily take the FA cup and any top 4 finish.

At this rate we will be fortunate to qualify for the Europa league.

We must improve and we must sign new players.

 
"I expect us to win the FA Cup and the CL" sounds like the sort of thing only a scouser would say. For me I expect our players and management to give their all every game. If we're beaten by better teams, well that happens!

 
5th in the league, knocked out of the FA Cup in 6th Round and in CL in QF after scraping past Copenhagen.

 
Top 3 finish, FA Cup win and a CL Final, possible if we can turn this season around, starting with the result we got today!

 
I expect the squad to play as hard as they can for the rest of the season. I expect Carlo to get them focused on the task at hand and make the best adjustments that he can. Then I guess we will see where the chips fall. If those two things happen, I think we will be rewarded for the hard work that's put in.

I hope we can finish top 3 and would love to see us win the CL. I'll be happy with whatever place we land on the table if the team gives 100%.

 
I'd happily take the FA cup and any top 4 finish.

At this rate we will be fortunate to qualify for the Europa league.

We must improve and we must sign new players.
I agree.

Some of our poorly performing seniors, sooner than later, will have to make way for new blood.

Anelka and Drogba appear knackered, predictable and uninterested.

Drogba is not the player he was prior to his bout with malaria.

His love-fest with Marseille is extremely annoying.

Perhaps he should be sent back there as it appears he's created a split in the dressing room.

Essien has not been the same player since his injury and needs to be reminded.

A threadbare squad means Ancelotti's options are markedly limited.

Carlo should be allowed to choose his own assistant.

He should supplement the squad with new signings.

Defence. David Luiz or Nevin Sebotic

Midfield. Bastian Schweinsteiger or Kaka.

Forwards. Andy Carrol or Pato.

Onwards and Upwards, Chelsea.

 
It's form, you don't become a sh*t team overnight, a win would be a good start, and then a convincing win and we'll be back firing on all cylinders again

I feel we've been strangely lucky in the CL this year, apart from the Marseille game, I expect us to go deep into that competition and finish 3rd/4th in the league
It didn't happen overnight. It happened over the past few months.

Expectations rest of the season? That is dependent on what players Carlo decides to back.

IF he reverts to what he feels is his best team, despite results and performances indicating otherwise, I'm not too hopeful, not even getting a top 4 spot.

If he picks a team based on form and for example starts the next league match with the same side which stuffed Ipswich (bar Ash coming back in), then I'm a lot more optimistic and think top 4 will not be a problem and with a bit of luck our 3rd FA Cup on the bounce.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hit a bit of form , hopefully Utd and others hit a bad patch were back in it , utd twice to come , city , Spurs at home and if we can add to the squad with some quality then you never know.

Forget the C.L. were not good enough .

 
Clubhappy, you wrote we are not good enough for the champions league, but why not?.

 
Still hopeful as in my earlier post,

Hope people don't get too inclined to bash the Manager if he doesn't share their opinion that a good display against Ipswich makes the youngsters nailed on in any way for Premiership games.

I hope he uses them and like I've said before Mceachran and Sturridge have staked a good claim but people need to realise that a totally out of form Anelka played very well against Ipswich and while I hope that is a sign of things to come it also had a lot to do with the standard of opposition, and not simply because he played in his preferred position.

I think Carlo has learned again that there is an alternative to bashing long balls to Drogba when things are not going our way and hes not in the best of form and the ipswich game will have opened up some more options for him but I'm not convinced that he will necessarily start Sturridge in front of Drogba because of it, its a difficult decision and Drogba is so important to the rest of our season that dropping him could really harm our CL prospects, I'm not saying I wouldn't but can see a case either way.

Dropping Anelka for Sturridge would also be difficult as he played well in the Ipswich game so deserves his place as well.

Good problems for a change for Carlo and I'll be happy to go with what he decides but will have the confidence that the last game may have given him faith that if he keeps to the usual faces and it doesn't look good he can make changes earlier.

 
Sorry, a point i missed on my last post, is to say a club with the players and manager we have is not good enough is, frankly cobblers.

 
we can still win the leugue theres still plenty of points to be dropped by all the teams above us i know are leaqgue form is not good but it only takes a couple of wins and dropped points and were in there again

its not over til the fat lady sings

i dont carte if we dont win jack as long as we put a fight up

:5569:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top