Farewell Bowie

Truly in shock at this. Bowie was my teen idol,saw him in 1973 even had my bloody hair cut like him. He was to the 70s what Elvis was to the 50s and Lennon the 60s a true icon. RIP David you have a lot of fans immense pleasure. Can you hear me Major Tom?

 
"I heard a rumour from Ground Control. Oh no, don't say it's true..."

 
Still not really sinking in. Christ he only just released an album. A farewell gift to us all.

I said this elsewhere but will repeat myself. It's probably the celebrity death I've always hoped, stupidly, would never happen. If one singer ever suited immortality it was probably Bowie.

 
Still not really sinking in. Christ he only just released an album. A farewell gift to us all.

I said this elsewhere but will repeat myself. It's probably the celebrity death I've always hoped, stupidly, would never happen. If one singer ever suited immortality it was probably Bowie.

I read the news last night before bed, and sat up and read twitter and listened to the links people were posting.  It struck me as astonishing that for an entire hour no-one had posted the same song into my feed.  I feel that shows just how impressive Bowie was; that he meant so much to so many people in so many different ways.  A True Chameleon of music, and art.

I don't know if anyone knew he was suffering from Cancer.  And now it makes his latest album even more poignant.  I've not listened to it, but it sounds as if he was talking about dying, and looking down from heaven.  I'm not sure i'll be able to listen to it with dry eyes when the time comes.

 
Bowie was the soundtrack to my teenage years - wow, what a loss, what an artist. Just listened to the Blackstar album which was released only on Friday. It's a farewell letter touched with regret and poignancy. We are all much the poorer without David Bowie. 

 
Vale Bowie - a terrible shock for many of us who grew up listening to him: such an icon. An important  & oddly underrated musician who was never afraid to experiment & to herald other musicians from all genres. Here's what he was listening to on his ipod in 2010 (c/- The Guardian):

I've chosen the songs that I've been playing the most over the last month. Here they are in no particular order.

Stay with Me by Lorraine Ellison

Ellison only got to record this goose bump-making classic because of a Sinatra cancellation at the studio. The vocal build and release on this track is galvanising. Writer Jerry Ragovoy also wrote "Time Is On My Side".

El Ninõ – For with God No Thing Shall Be Impossible by John Adams; Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Willard White, Dawn Upshaw, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, conducted by Kent Nagano

Just over a minute long and propulsive like a storm. I want to crush furniture. The emotional in search of the divine.

Junker's Blues by Champion Jack Dupree

Simple, beautiful New Orleans piano. This 1941 song was the blueprint for Fats Domino's 1949 hit "The Fat Man" and probably played a part in the making of Professor Longhair's "Tipitina".

Nixon in China: Act I, Scene 1; 'Soldiers of Heaven Hold the Sky' by John Adams; Orchestra of St Luke's, Edo de Waart

Adams's minimalism disguises the rich romanticism of his melodies. Ever ascending, rising through the clouds.

Embroidering Pouch by Peng Liyuan

Hugely huge in China. Peng holds the rank of major general in the People's Liberation Army. I have a thing about Chinese folk music, OK?

All These Deserters by Boxharp

Mystical country. An eerie yellowing photograph.

Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin) by Scritti Politti

Who could dislike this glistening 1984 beauty? The upside of the 80s.

Dinner at Eight by Rufus Wainwright

There aren't that many son/father songs but this is the best of them as far as I know. Rufus is just simply one of the great writers.

Different Trains I: America-Before the War by Steve Reich; Kronos Quartet

One of the late 20th century's most affecting works. I love the use of speech as a source for melody. But it's so much more than a concept, it's also impossibly moving.

Blue Skies by Josephine Baker

I'm not a big Baker fan but there's something about this performance that touches me. I think it's the break in her voice among all this gaiety and optimism.

Gathering Storm by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

GYBE are among my, erm, two favourite Montreal bands, Arcade Fire being the other. All Montreal bands have around nine members, I believe.

Sonny's Lettah (Anti-Sus Poem) by Linton Kwesi Johnson

The great Kwesi Johnson at his saddest. This forceful slice of narrative is part of the continuing evolvement from griot through the Last Poets to Mos Def.

Get Around to It by Arthur Russell

Quite strange but atmospheric. The late Arthur Russell was supplying all the background effects on his electric cello.

Sénégal Fast-Food by Amadou & Mariam

Let's dance. Saw this on Africa Channel or maybe Link last year and play it at least once a week. What time is it in Paradise indeed?

Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp with Orchestra by Gavin Bryars; Hampton String Quartet, Michael Riesman and Orchestra

This will either drive you up the wall or you will produce some amazing drawings while listening to it. You could probably cook a fish to this as well.

 
The Greatest.

I assume you've all had the pleasure of this hour:

https://vimeo.com/53207758

anyway.

here go my current top three if you don't have that hour (and if you don't, find it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6Gbi1MpoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m30aaI5Yf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-Jge5IbCA

DB-Transformation-Colour.gif


 
Last edited by a moderator:
One of my all time favorite recordings was his live in Santa Monica 1972 concert. I've been listening to it all afternoon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEfYnQ3Gw-M

btw G4/3.7 that's awesome

The last picture taken by Iman 01/08/16

CYdZHyuVAAAokvL.jpg


 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great pic...must have been suffering like anything, but you wouldn't know it from that happy look on his face

 
Vale Bowie - a terrible shock for many of us who grew up listening to him: such an icon. An important  & oddly underrated musician who was never afraid to experiment & to herald other musicians from all genres. Here's what he was listening to on his ipod in 2010 (c/- The Guardian):

Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp with Orchestra by Gavin Bryars; Hampton String Quartet, Michael Riesman and Orchestra

This will either drive you up the wall or you will produce some amazing drawings while listening to it. You could probably cook a fish to this as well.
:shok:    I fall into the first camp - quite simply the worst (well-regarded) song I have ever heard, I think.  Though it has definitely stayed with me.  Astonishing song, not necessarily for the right reasons.  If you haven't heard it, you should.  The 24 minute version but you have to listen right to the end.

Moi - what do you think?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not exactly HD quality, but I noticed someone had uploaded this on his 69th birthday:



---[edit]---

Actually watched it for a while and the video quality is total garbage. Such a shame as I've never seen this concert in its entirety.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
:shok:    I fall into the first camp - quite simply the worst (well-regarded) song I have ever heard, I think.  Though it has definitely stayed with me.  Astonishing song, not necessarily for the right reasons.  If you haven't heard it, you should.  The 24 minute version but you have to listen right to the end.

Moi - what do you think?
You introduced me to that some time ago, Beerie, and I obeyed your instructions to listen right to the end. I remember finding it quite hypnotic!

 
Quicksand is my favourite too, Gordon. Knowledge comes with death's release...

 
Was at a local club this evening and there was a Bowie tribute night and what a f**king clueless bunch of c**ts they had as DJs tonight. During the first hour they played two versions of "Ashes to Ashes" AND "Space Oddity". The man has such a great collection of songs, so there's no need to play any single song twice...

 
liam, anyone who can make a pop song out of the imagined inner-monologue of hitler in his final days will do for me.

who's listened to the new album?

I think it is fantastic. a contender for his best since the 70s. a lot of great (and grim) references to his condition.

 
I wouldn't say it's my new favourite Bowie album but it's quite good. It's packed with references, and not necessarily only to his condition, like:


 
Back
Top