Forum update Today

I was just giving my view based on experiences I've had on other sites.  Not trying to fight anyone over this, it's clear a delete function isn't going to be added.

 
I can only imagine how many posts will get quoted with a simple comment of "delete this".

I say give people the option of only deleting other peoples posts and let chaos rise.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
But why does there have to be a time-limit imposition for editting posts? Does editing a comment 40 mins later cause issues? Not an issue for brief comments such as this but my experience of browsing Reddit, rival forums and non-football sites has shown plenty of people to edit beyond 30 mins e.g. when people multi-quote or want to make larger informative posts and/or arguments -- there will always be errors and things to add which weren't considered at the time. This would be present especially when it involves statistical posts and/or figures being used. 

It would also be useful because there might be a correction another poster makes to a previous post, which the OP might then realise, but cannot edit (which would be more efficient for others reading else they'll just read misinformation and might not see the subsequent correction from another poster).  Although this is a smaller forum so wouldn't see the same amount of larger posts being made, but I would've found it especially useful

I didn't know about the delete abuse, although that's the first I've heard of such a thing :)
Half an hour is more than enough time to read over your post and change anything. If it isn't enough time then maybe the post is too long and should be typed up offline.

 
I'm not sure I love (heart) the posts that I like or agree with  :laugh2:  

Glad the font size was finally decreased... 

Can we not go to the desktop mode on mobile browsers anymore? 

 
Got this error message when trying to visit the site about an hour ago. May be of some use to admin.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::language() in /home/theshede/public_html/system/Output/Output.php on line 538

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'IPS\Db\Exception' with message 'Table './theshede_ipb/ibf_core_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired' in /home/theshede/public_html/system/Db/Db.php:501 Stack trace: #0 /home/theshede/public_html/system/Db/Db.php(838): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `i...', Array) #1 /home/theshede/public_html/system/Session/Front.php(304): IPS\_Db->replace('core_sessions', Array, true) #2 [internal function]: IPS\Session\_Front->write('b13f7db62a83e34...', '') #3 {main} thrown in /home/theshede/public_html/system/Db/Db.php on line 501

 
Half an hour is more than enough time to read over your post and change anything. If it isn't enough time then maybe the post is too long and should be typed up offline.
I'm not really sure why you've decided to quote me considering mine and Michael's finalising comments above but all I can say is that this is wrong if you would care to look into larger forums which don't just involve Chelsea FC (as I stated before). I've seen it happen plentiful and your suggestion that any posts that are 'too long' (whatever that means?) should be written offline isn't a viable long-term solution for lots of posters who like to post and argue often. If you posted this a thousand times over detailing your experience about posts that you deemed too long, it wouldn't make any difference to what my experience was, which I and many would fully say informed and articulated arguments superbly on many occasions, so this is a bit of a needless comment. 

The Shed End is just unique in its inability to review posts that have been edited / deleted and that's that. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
How do you see who has liked certain posts on the mobile version?

 
Can we not go to the desktop mode on mobile browsers anymore? 
It's all responsive now, the mobile version is just a condensed desktop version.

Got this error message when trying to visit the site about an hour ago. May be of some use to admin.
Cheers, saw that, I think the database crashed.

The Shed End is just unique in its inability to review posts that have been edited / deleted and that's that. 
Lucky we didn't take the cfc-net circa 2000's route of moderating every post before it appeared.

How do you see who has liked certain posts on the mobile version?
Good question, at the moment, I'm not sure.

 
Once the toothpaste is out it cant be put back in again, same as being abusive and not being culpable for it. 
Oh no. I am trying to forget about teeth right now. Use a example that does not involve that subject next time.

 
I don't really like a "like function" on forums.

I use it here but it is more out of a strange feeling of obligation and because it's the done thing.

I feel like it sometimes entices "like whoring" type posts.

I also think it can often stifle conversations and discussions. A poster can sometimes simply "like" a post without adding their own personal stance on it, maybe they generally agree with what's been said but have a slightly different viewpoint/reasons for thinking so. Instead of dialogue opening, a "like" occurs instead and that avenue for discussion dies. In much the same way a person can disagree with a post but can simply "like" a post that has already disagreed with it rather than again stating their own views.

Surely a forum thrives on discussions and dialogue flowing rather than being stifled?

 
I do use the like system, although since it changed from the word "like" to a stupid heart, I've barely touched it.

 
Okay @Michael and @MANoWAR here is an example of how it can get abused and this has happened early-on quite a lot.

Say I am a member, I make this post calling yorkleyblue an aged hippie that hugs tree's but has a thing for licking toilet seats in the public lav's on weekends. That's probably quite a weak aggressive attack (and the truth) but let's take that as an example.

Yorkleyblue is out of town viewing public toilets in London and doesn't see my post. Neither do any moderators, their watching football, though I should be banned for making that post. Michael then replies along with others after the post. MANoWar reports me. I then go on to make other similar posts that yorkleyblue also has a thing for Rocking Horses. Now I've attacked him twice. Half hour has passed, I can't edit my post, now its certain a Moderator will see it at some time soon. I'm going to get banned. The content that has been reported isn't going to change.

....but what if I can delete it, no trace at all will get me off the hook. Then it's just Michael who replied and others that saw my post, they're word against mine without proof. Also, the posts following mine, will then end up making no sense.

A moderators nightmare.
You forgot to mention young Yorkley and the pig, @Mod Stark :rofl:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Mod Stark  Sorry, I was on holiday last week.  I'm still seeing all the arses posting drivel and tosh.  I'll try removing and adding them from my extensive ignore list and I'll let you know what happens.
Yea it's still broken, I know what it is and will be fixed soon.

 
Back
Top