Fredy Guarin - is he any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure we want him...think inter want to sell and maybe using chelsea to attract other bidders

 
Ashley Cole is adequate back-up till the season's end, and will fight for a first-team spot. The summer is the ideal time to get long-term solutions, at which time I'm sure LB, DM and CF will be addressed. In the meantime, if we have to get one player to bolster the squad for the remainder of the season, I think a CM is the right position to look at, as we are awfully thin in that area, and it's a crucial area. If the right guy becomes available in the other positions we should look at it, but the odds are against you in the winter window.
Do you honestly think we should be paying £17m for someone who is about 28 to get us through till the end of the season?  I just don't see that as a smart move.  If we are looking for someone to give us central midfield cover for seasons to come hen I would have less of a problem with that (especially if he was nearer 23 or 24) but I see Gaurin as nothing more than a short term fix.

 
Do you honestly think we should be paying £17m for someone who is about 28 to get us through till the end of the season?  I just don't see that as a smart move.  If we are looking for someone to give us central midfield cover for seasons to come hen I would have less of a problem with that (especially if he was nearer 23 or 24) but I see Gaurin as nothing more than a short term fix.

Loz,

Good to see you back posting mate, hope this is the start of some more regular appearances...make it a resoloution :good2:

 
Do you honestly think we should be paying £17m for someone who is about 28 to get us through till the end of the season?  I just don't see that as a smart move.  If we are looking for someone to give us central midfield cover for seasons to come hen I would have less of a problem with that (especially if he was nearer 23 or 24) but I see Gaurin as nothing more than a short term fix.
He's 27, won't be 28 until after the season is finished - we'll probably get at least a good 6 seasons out of him. Mourinho has said he wants some established talent to complete his squad, so £17m for an experienced Colombia international who is still eligible for the Champions League doesn't seem that bad.

 
Loz,

Good to see you back posting mate, hope this is the start of some more regular appearances...make it a resoloution :good2:
Cheers Chippy. It has been a while hasn't it.

I just don't see the point in over investing in back up players.  It makes a mockery of having a youth academy.  Other teams around us seem to be able to use their up and coming players occasionally to fill gaps in the squad.  I'd rather see Chalobah brought back to provide cover than millions spent on Gaurin.  I am not saying Chalobah is ready to be a regular yet but he never will be if we keep filling the squad with big money reserves.

 
Cheers Chippy. It has been a while hasn't it.

I just don't see the point in over investing in back up players.  It makes a mockery of having a youth academy.  Other teams around us seem to be able to use their up and coming players occasionally to fill gaps in the squad.  I'd rather see Chalobah brought back to provide cover than millions spent on Gaurin.  I am not saying Chalobah is ready to be a regular yet but he never will be if we keep filling the squad with big money reserves.
Guarin will come straight into the starting 11 to partner Ramires and produce an energetic midfield similar to Fernandinho/Toure. I was just using what happens to our CM when Ramires is out as an example as to why signing a Guarin-type player is so important.

You'd rather Chalobah rot on our bench than gain match experience elsewhere?

 
Guarin will come straight into the starting 11 to partner Ramires and produce an energetic midfield similar to Fernandinho/Toure. I was just using what happens to our CM when Ramires is out as an example as to why signing a Guarin-type player is so important.

You'd rather Chalobah rot on our bench than gain match experience elsewhere?
He has had over a season of first team experience now (on loan) and done well in that time. I don't think Gaurin would be a starting eleven player as that would mean Lampard is dropped (which Jose isn't going to do this season).  He would be rotated a bit and would get more playing time than Chalobah would however I would rather Chalobah got 25% of the game time Gaurin would get so he can develop at the highest level.  If we then bring in a player in the summer (when there will be far more options) then Chalobah is still easily young enough to go out on loan again.

I don't have anything against Gaurin in particular. I am just a little tired of seeing us send so many players out on loan instead of bring braver and playing them a little more regularly. 

 
Sounds very much to me like an a lovely bit of agent manipulation. Expect to see a new improved contract very soon.

PS. Great to see loz back posting.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chalobah is my favorite CFC youth player. Can't wait to see him next season. Then again that's what I thought with Big Rom and he left.

 
ye most the talk on twitter from the supposed 'In the Knows' say that there is no interest on our part of Guarin, I don't watch too much Serie A but he does seem like a pretty handy player and if he were to come I think he would really add something to our team

 
We could buy him then send him out on loan, that wouldn't surprise me at all, half the teams in Europe seem to be a holding pen for Chelsea players.

 
Nothing against Guarin think he's a good player and if we sign him im not exactly against it because we are weak in CM but i'd also like to give Chalobah a chance rather than sign Guarin.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chelsea's move for Inter Milan star Freddy Guarin may have been derailed after he made huge wage demands in negotiations over personal terms.

Guarin recently confirmed his agent had been in talks with the Stamford Bridge club over a possible January transfer, in what was reported to be all but a done deal earlier this month.

However, TuttoSport are now reporting that the deal is in danger of collapsing after the Colombia international's agent entered negotiations with a figure in mind that was far removed from what Chelsea's moneymen were thinking.

The report claims Guarin wanted £5million-a-year from the Blues to make the move to Stamford Bridge, which has meant it is now in real danger of being called off completely.

Jose Mourinho has a number of central midfielders at his disposal, so the move for Guarin is being questioned by some as not addressing the more pressing need of increasing the goal-threat in the centre-forward area.

However, Frank Lampard's fitness has been an issue this season and reports have emerged recently claiming that Michael Essien could be set to move on in January, which would leave Mourinho needing further cover.

 
hopefully giving up on guarin means will go for matic

 
"Jose Mourinho has a number of central midfielders at his disposal, so the move for Guarin is being questioned by some as not addressing the more pressing need of increasing the goal-threat in the centre-forward area."

We have the worst CM's out of the top 6, 36 year old Lampard, Mikel and Ramires aren't good enough for us. Along with a striker CM is our weakest position.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
"Jose Mourinho has a number of central midfielders at his disposal, so the move for Guarin is being questioned by some as not addressing the more pressing need of increasing the goal-threat in the centre-forward area."

We have the worst CM's in the league, 36 year old Lampard, Mikel and Ramires aren't good enough for us. Along with a striker CM is our weakest position.
The WORST CMs in the league. Jesus. Wash your mouth out. What nonsense!

 
The WORST CMs in the league. Jesus. Wash your mouth out. What nonsense!
I didn't mean to put that, I was supposed to say out of the top 6 we have the worst CMs. It's new years day cut me some slack.

I'd rather have Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs' CM/DM choices than ours.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to put that, I was supposed to say out of the top 6 we have the worst CMs. It's new years day cut me some slack.

I'd rather have Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs' CM/DM choices than ours.
No way

Cleverley

Giggs

Felliaini

Jones at times

Carrick

Carrick is the only good CM they have and hes 33,Ramires on his own is better the other 4 put together.Lampard at 35 is still better than Cleverley.Luiz when playing CM is better than what they have bar Carrick.They have Powell coming through but we have Chalobah and Van Ginkel.Our centre midfield isn't strong but still better than there's.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top