Get Rage Against the Machine Christmas No.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rage Against the Machine are as big a sellout as anyone though.

Do you really want to see a Mexican guy with a perm railing against "those who burnt crosses"?

 
HOW are Rage a sell-out? They're clearly one of the most political and principled bands out there, and have played the same genre of music and written the same type of lyrics for years now!

You don't have to like their style or message, but to claim they are a sell-out strikes me as a bit odd, when there are millions of other bands who are FAR more deserving of that label.

 
I thought the same Tim, sorry Plock but you have a very strange sense of bands, we went down that road once before.

Joe's CD will be sold by the masses tomorrow before the deadline tomorrow night, so unless there is a huge surge in people downloading RATM, I can't see it happening. If you haven't downloaded it yet (and don't mind Sony) go spend 29p.

 
Joe's CD will be sold by the masses tomorrow before the deadline tomorrow night, so unless there is a huge surge in people downloading RATM, I can't see it happening.
I doubt this campaign will succeed, but just out of curiosity, how many copies do the Christmas #1 singles usually sell?

 
Some (most) of the profits from Rage against the Machine are going to Charity.

The profits for the X Factor one is going to Cowell and Miley Cyrus...

Come on!

 
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but apparently RATM are way ahead, and then Joe and some other song (I think it's Don't Stop Believing?) keep swapping between 2nd and 3rd! So I hope it's a big kick in the face and Joe gets 3rd!

 
I heard the Facebook page for the campaign has only about 700-800k members and even if all of them have purchased the RATM single, I doubt it's gonna be enough, but at least it's going to charity.

 
It's actually usually around 350,000, so if half of everyone who's ever joined the group (it no longer has 800,000 people as it keeps crashing with overload) buys the single, along with telling a couple of other people to do so, it is completely possible. As yet, RATM are in the lead you can check it on http://www.livehits.co.uk/

 
Hey hey, I'm not trying to pontificate here. I've got my fair share of sellout crap in my music collection. (sexelk might even appreciate some of it...)

And I believe that Rage are sellouts in that their 'political activism' has become a gimmick. Look at all the Che Guevara and Communist association. While they're in their big houses counting their cash (or recording Audioslave records...), their merchandise is displaying the emblem of Communism (which is really quite meaningless these days, but the kids will lap it up) while they are reaping the benefits of capitalism. They don't believe in any of it, they're just some loudmouth idiots who need a gimmick to cover up the fact that Tom Morello's guitar solos just consist of playing a D# and sitting on the whammy bar for a while...

That said, they do have their fair share of catchy numbers; I just wouldn't read anything into it other than they are an above average band with a gimmick.

 
It's actually usually around 350,000, so if half of everyone who's ever joined the group (it no longer has 800,000 people as it keeps crashing with overload) buys the single, along with telling a couple of other people to do so, it is completely possible. As yet, RATM are in the lead you can check it on http://www.livehits.co.uk/
thats only downloads though, i suspect the xfactor guy will be well clear in cd singles sales. great to see journey at no-6 mind!

i heard on the radio just that RATM did have a lead of 30,000 at one point but now it is around 6,000 and that it will all change today as it is the busiest shopping day of the year and thousands are going to buy the xfactor single for xmas pressies etc

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey hey, I'm not trying to pontificate here. I've got my fair share of sellout crap in my music collection. (sexelk might even appreciate some of it...)And I believe that Rage are sellouts in that their 'political activism' has become a gimmick. Look at all the Che Guevara and Communist association. While they're in their big houses counting their cash (or recording Audioslave records...), their merchandise is displaying the emblem of Communism (which is really quite meaningless these days, but the kids will lap it up) while they are reaping the benefits of capitalism. They don't believe in any of it, they're just some loudmouth idiots who need a gimmick to cover up the fact that Tom Morello's guitar solos just consist of playing a D# and sitting on the whammy bar for a while...

That said, they do have their fair share of catchy numbers; I just wouldn't read anything into it other than they are an above average band with a gimmick.
have to say im a little surprised at just how involved RATM are with it all, i wasnt expecting that at all and certainly unlike them from what i can remember. there is even an interview in The Sun today!

 
I believe that Rage are sellouts in that their 'political activism' has become a gimmick.
Their political activism HAS become a gimmick? You're talking about it like the band still exists. :JC_doubledown:

I think they stopped making music in 2000 and I think one of the main reasons was because the band members didn't agree musically or politically anymore. So basically they stopped just as they were in danger of becoming another Jamiroquai. If it was a gimmick, they were certainly putting in a lot of effort to keep up an image. But then again, I actually think the main reason why they became successful was the music and not the political message, which must have been a bit of a disappointment to at least De La Rocha who(according to what I've heard) was using the band as a way to get his political views heard and quit the band when he felt that the band wasn't fighting for the same cause anymore...politically or musically. I think they were right to quit when they did. The third album was a disappointment after one brilliant album(the first one) and one great album, but the third one felt like they were just going through the motions.

 
Their political activism HAS become a gimmick? You're talking about it like the band still exists. :JC_doubledown: I think they stopped making music in 2000 and I think one of the main reasons was because the band members didn't agree musically or politically anymore. So basically they stopped just as they were in danger of becoming another Jamiroquai. If it was a gimmick, they were certainly putting in a lot of effort to keep up an image. But then again, I actually think the main reason why they became successful was the music and not the political message, which must have been a bit of a disappointment to at least De La Rocha who(according to what I've heard) was using the band as a way to get his political views heard and quit the band when he felt that the band wasn't fighting for the same cause anymore...politically or musically. I think they were right to quit when they did. The third album was a disappointment after one brilliant album(the first one) and one great album, but the third one felt like they were just going through the motions.
They very much still exist.

I know there are no plans for new material but they still play lots of gigs and have done for a few years now. They performed KITNO live on Radio One a few days ago....

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are no plans for new material but they still play gigs though right ? They performed KITNO live on Radio One a few days ago....
I think they did played at some European festivals, but that's all I know. I haven't really been very interested in the band after the release of the third album. I still like the first two albums, though. The last I heard from them was that Zach De La Rocha has a new band and that Audioslave were breaking up(or did they break up?)

 
Yup, they played Reading festival last year and it was incredible. They're not recording (i don't think), but they have certainly been touring.

To be honest Plokoon, i think you're really, really far off the mark here. I've seen them a number of times over a 10 year span, and every single gig that they do Zac will, at some point, go on an impassioned rant about the state of US politics/third world suffering/many other causes that he clearly, clearly believes in.

You can dismiss is as a political veneer used solely to appear credible if you like, but given they are one of the very few bands who have consistently tried to educate as well as entertain their audiences, I'd say that is something to applaud, not to sneer at. More to the point, their music is brilliant and original, so they don't and have never needed a gimmick to become or remain successful.

As for your opinion of Morello's solos, I hope that's a joke, as anyone who understands guitar playing will know full well how technical and above all else, how innovative his solos are. He is consistently voted one of the best living guitarists as his style is like no one elses.

 
I think they did played at some European festivals, but that's all I know. I haven't really been very interested in the band after the release of the third album. I still like the first two albums, though. The last I heard from them was that Zach De La Rocha has a new band and that Audioslave were breaking up(or did they break up?)
Theyve played loads of gigs mate. None this year mind, but they did a whole world tour in 2008 and played Lollapalloza.

Not sure about the state of Audioslave, i never really liked them (not a fan of Cornell)

 
Yup, they played Reading festival last year and it was incredible. They're not recording (i don't think), but they have certainly been touring.To be honest Plokoon, i think you're really, really far off the mark here. I've seen them a number of times over a 10 year span, and every single gig that they do Zac will, at some point, go on an impassioned rant about the state of US politics/third world suffering/many other causes that he clearly, clearly believes in.

You can dismiss is as a political veneer used solely to appear credible if you like, but given they are one of the very few bands who have consistently tried to educate as well as entertain their audiences, I'd say that is something to applaud, not to sneer at. More to the point, their music is brilliant and original, so they don't and have never needed a gimmick to become or remain successful.

As for your opinion of Morello's solos, I hope that's a joke, as anyone who understands guitar playing will know full well how technical and above all else, how innovative his solos are. He is consistently voted one of the best living guitarists as his style is like no one elses.
Id agree Tim. Using the old and very tired argument of 'in their big houses' doesnt really wash with RATM. I suspect Plokoon is just reacting against the current level of media hype they currently have.

Im not really a fan (though i loved Bullet In The Head!) but id find it very hard to name another band anywhere that has worked so tirelessly in the political arena and who have stayed so loyal to the levels of activism they they have worked so hard to promote and educate.

We are not talking about Limp Bizkit here.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the state of Audioslave, i never really liked them
Me neither. I think Audioslave is one of the silliest band names I've heard and the music is boring.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top