Good Cover Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current one there is Vikki BlowsMidland's Dog still laughs and Geezers Dog still done whatever it did, they are only small files and only animation as opposed to videos.

Oh and feel free to start what topic you want, I was just taking the piss.
Thank goodness for that! It would have been dreadful if Geezer had returned from his holiday to find his dog had been murdered in his absence.

Please tell me that's not the girl's real name??

I'll leave the Protest Song thread for a while. People may have reached saturation point at the moment.

BlueBeard - thanks for the Buffy Sainte Marie - have you heard of a blues/jazz singer called Marilyn Middleton Pollock? She sings a song called the Buffalo/Joseph Cross on a CD called The Doll's House. There's a bit too much talking on Buffalo, but Jospeh Cross is a beautiful song about a native American.

 
It is her name, we went through that before moi :P

BB, I was aware that use to happen back then on dark island. Didn't the Shrimpers Club (Southend United) use to be big for bands back then too.

 
Is this turning into a Billericay dickie thread

Ere's an orrible cover


name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
 
BlueBeard - thanks for the Buffy Sainte Marie - have you heard of a blues/jazz singer called Marilyn Middleton Pollock? She sings a song called the Buffalo/Joseph Cross on a CD called The Doll's House. There's a bit too much talking on Buffalo, but Jospeh Cross is a beautiful song about a native American.
Never heard of her, but I'll have a look out for that album. Had a quick scout around, but it's not in stock at Amazon, and there's nothing on e-Bay - I shall persevere! I don't like jazz normally, but occasionally a singer can get past that barrier - Maria Muldaur for one.

Oh, and Tim - that was a truly awful cover!!! :P

 
Alex Harvey covers - Delilah, I seem to remember, but his best was 'Next', which was a cover of a Jacques Brel song about a brothel called 'Au Suivant'. Will post links after work, where YouTube is banned.

 
Alex Harvey covers - Delilah, I seem to remember, but his best was 'Next', which was a cover of a Jacques Brel song about a brothel called 'Au Suivant'. Will post links after work, where YouTube is banned.
There is a superb DVD called Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris. It has many of his songs all translated into English - NEXT is one of them, where the soldiers are queuing for their turn in the brothel.

 
There is a superb DVD called Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris. It has many of his songs all translated into English - NEXT is one of them, where the soldiers are queuing for their turn in the brothel.
Bowie made a good cover of Jacques‘ Amsterdam, speaking of whores as one does when the tram bell rings.

 
That Bowie cover of Amsterdam is superb. It is on the BBC Radio sessions double CD.

 
I have a subliminal memory of Scott Walker doing a version of The Port of Amsterdam, round about the same time as he did Jackie.

 
This will probably split opinions here but I'm strangely attracted to this cover.

Grace Jones - She's lost control

 
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Covering Nine Inch Nails)

Johnny Cash - I Hung My Head (Covering Sting)

Amy Winehouse - Hey Little Rich Girl (Covering The Specials)

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Covering Leadbelly)

 
It is her name, we went through that before moi :D BB, I was aware that use to happen back then on dark island. Didn't the Shrimpers Club (Southend United) use to be big for bands back then too.
i used to play in a local punk band around 77/78 and did quite a few gigs at the shrimpers club,so i remember that place well.did see the vicars[alison moyet] or alf as she was known then....heard some great bands mentioned in this thread,amongst them are the heavy metal kids and the sensational alex harvey band.s.a.h.b. did some album covers of crazy horses and schools out,but their best cover was delilah...it seems strange to believe that alex harvey died in 1982,and gary holton[heavy metal kids] died i think in 1986,doesnt time fly.

 
Some cover versions I like:

Jealous Guy - Donny Hathaway

Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Willie Hightower

Superstition - Dennis Mobley & Fresh Taste

Inner City Blues - Brian Auger's Oblivion Express

I Feel The Earth Move - Moody

Shake Your Body Down To The Ground - Little Carlos

Your Song - Billy Paul

Billy Jean - Shinehead

Aint No Sunshine - Harlem Underground Band ft Willis Jackson

Save Me - The Tempos

Make Me Believe In You - Melba Moore

Think Twice - Detroit Experiment

Funky Nassau - Orgone

:cool-smiley-030:

 
I have resurrected this thread to post a wonderful cover of Leonard Cohen's Bird on the Wire by Joe Bonamassa


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top