Greatest Guitar Riffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpions - Sails of Charon

That's a hefty riff if I ever heard one.

 
A lot of you are spot on, but I have to reiterate: It's not really about parts of songs that are "cool" or a continuing solo (Stairway to Heaven really has no Riff until the main solo where it is backed by the A-G-F backing chords), it's more about a selection of Chords or continuing "jungle", at the begining of a song, that usually continues the whole way through, that you immediately recognize a song by.

Another example... Smoke on the Water

Scott

 
Last edited by a moderator:
If the criteria is 'a song where you know the song as soon as you hear the guitar riff' then 'Seven Nation Army' by The White Stripes certainly has to be a modern day contender in amongst the rock 'classics'

 
If the criteria is 'a song where you know the song as soon as you hear the guitar riff' then 'Seven Nation Army' by The White Stripes certainly has to be a modern day contender in amongst the rock 'classics'
I think "No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age is another one that fits that description.

 
The Aum Riff (from Aftaglid) by STEVE HILLAGE, best ever rock guitarist.

 
Here's a few that stand out for me:

My Generation, Can't Explain - the Who

Alright Now, Wishing Well - Free

China Grove, Long Train Runnin - Doobie Brothers

American Girl, I Need To Know - Tom Petty

Rosalie, The Rocker, Don't Believe A Word, Genocide (I could go on) - Thin Lizzy (masters of the rock riff)

It says'ere, Accident Waiting To Happen - Billy Bragg

Hey Hey, My My, Cinnamon Girl, Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young

Answering Machine, bar stewards of Young - Replacements

Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Stones

Love Spreads - Stone Roses

One More Time - Joe Jackson

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

Devil's answer - Atomic Rooster

The One's That You Love Lead You Nowhere - Del Amitri

Bad To The Bone - George Thorogood

Oh Well - Fleetwood Mac

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull

The One I Love - REM

Town Called malice - The Jam

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Backbiter

With regard to The Who would you not also nominate Pinball Wizard - in fact I would say that before any other Who track in Pinball Wizard the guitar riff about 25 seconds in is pretty much an explosion which sets you up for the rest of the track.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
BackbiterWith regard to The Who would you not also nominate Pinball Wizard - in fact I would say that before any other Who track in Pinball Wizard the guitar riff about 25 seconds in is pretty much an explosion which sets you up for the rest of the track.
Pinball Wizard would be in my list of Best Acoustic riffs/ intros - which I'll be starting a new thread on one day. The Electric riff is great, though.

Another great Who riff is 5.15, which is memorable for the rare combination of guitars, piano and trumpets.

 
[No message]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i'm going to learn how to play the guitar just to be able to play this:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Erm, definitely Metallica - Enter Sandman and Wherever I may Roam. Probably quite a few others as well, especially from the Black album.

In terms of slightly more modern day ones....maybe Supersonic by Oasis. Very recognisable indeed.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Loz, is there any way we can ban Sexelk from music threads? He's a lovely guy but woefully out of his depth when it comes to this sort of thing.

I've just tried to watch his BJ vid to see what he's on about but only lasted 24 seconds before I started gagging (fnaaar fnaar).

Perhaps you could start a 'Comedy Music' section in the Lounge? He could be a moderator and everything!

 
lol c'mon now :lol:. that is one of the best songs of all time

tell me then what is wrong with that song?

the guitar rift is fantastic and the lyrics are great. damn fine song all round

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to my list:

Led Zep - Whole lotta Love (has a claim to be the ultimate rock riff)

Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - Shakin all Over

The Kinks - You Really Got Me, All Day and All of the Night

Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Them - Baby Please Don't Go

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, Radio Nowhere

The Stones - The Last time

 
Loz, is there any way we can ban Sexelk from music threads? He's a lovely guy but woefully out of his depth when it comes to this sort of thing.I've just tried to watch his BJ vid to see what he's on about but only lasted 24 seconds before I started gagging (fnaaar fnaar).

Perhaps you could start a 'Comedy Music' section in the Lounge? He could be a moderator and everything!
It's not very PC to be SEXELKIST!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top