- Messages
- 22,723
- Reaction score
- 6,608
There has been many superb partnerships in football over the years - great strike partnerships (or even threesomes), great centre half pairings or two central midfielders that complement each other perfectly.
In relatively recent history you could easily nominate Chelsea ones with Nevin / Dixon / Speedie being a possibility, JT / Gallas another and in midfield Lampard and Makalele or Wise and Di Matteo.
However it is always easy to pick our own lads so here I am interested in non Chelsea ones - be they domestic or international , based in the UK or based elsewhere. When I say non Chelsea I mean you can't nominate partnerships that existed at Chelsea, no problem nominating Chelsea players from times at other clubs (as I have done)
I am going to name mine and for each three categories I am going to name on that was UK based and one that was based abroad (also I am going to restrict it to players I have actually seen play either live or on TV)
UK Centre Half
Alex McCleish and Willie Miller (Aberdeen & Scotland)
Non UK Centre Half
Franco Baresi and Alessandro Costacurta (Milan and Italy) - made even better by the fact they had Paolo Maldini at left back as well
UK Central Midfield
Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins (England)
Non UK Central Midfield
Makelele and Zidane (Real Madrid and France)
UK Strikers
Lineker and Beardsley (England)
Non UK Strikers
Ravanelli, Vialli and Del Pierro
In relatively recent history you could easily nominate Chelsea ones with Nevin / Dixon / Speedie being a possibility, JT / Gallas another and in midfield Lampard and Makalele or Wise and Di Matteo.
However it is always easy to pick our own lads so here I am interested in non Chelsea ones - be they domestic or international , based in the UK or based elsewhere. When I say non Chelsea I mean you can't nominate partnerships that existed at Chelsea, no problem nominating Chelsea players from times at other clubs (as I have done)
I am going to name mine and for each three categories I am going to name on that was UK based and one that was based abroad (also I am going to restrict it to players I have actually seen play either live or on TV)
UK Centre Half
Alex McCleish and Willie Miller (Aberdeen & Scotland)
Non UK Centre Half
Franco Baresi and Alessandro Costacurta (Milan and Italy) - made even better by the fact they had Paolo Maldini at left back as well
UK Central Midfield
Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins (England)
Non UK Central Midfield
Makelele and Zidane (Real Madrid and France)
UK Strikers
Lineker and Beardsley (England)
Non UK Strikers
Ravanelli, Vialli and Del Pierro
Last edited by a moderator: