Half a BILLION war chest.

coco

Retired Moderator
Messages
26,043
Reaction score
16,686
With an anticipated war chest of 300m-500m to spend in 2020, their will be loads of talk about who we will try to bring in. 

Our current players need to remember we have this money, this might be their last chance to make or break, before we can spend. 

If you had to pick 4-7 players (total 300m-500m budget), who would you bring in, and what would your team look like ?

 
Won't be able to target very good players if we don't qualify for the CL this season.

 
Kepa​

James  Christensen  Skriniar  Emerson​

Kante     Jorginho​

Pulisic        RLC        CHO​

Maxi Gomez​

Subs: Cabalero / Azpi / Tomori / Kovacic / Mount / Bamba / Tammy​

In: Skriniar (£80m) / Maxi Gomez (£100m) / Jonathan Bamba (£60m)

total - £240m

Don't want to see us signing 7 new players as we'll have teething problems just like Madrid are experiencing. 

World class CB. Went with Skriniar but also wouldn't mind Tah from Leverkusen. Think either of these would complement Christensen for the following season. 

Happy with out full back and CM options so no need to buy anyone there. Suppose there could be a case for Chilwell at LB but i think Emerson is a good fit for us.

Attacking midfield i also think we're pretty well stocked depending on how Pulisic and CHO perform this year. Get rid of Willian and/or Pedro and bring in Jonathan Bamba. Had a fantastic tournament the other month and played brilliantly last season, although he was overshadowed by Pepe. If we wanted to be daft we could obviously go for Sancho or perhaps a gamble with Lozano.

Up top i'd like to see Maxi Gomez, just moved to Valencia and has a 140m Euro buy out clause but could probably negotiate a bit lower. Think he could be the next big thing up top. Also liked the look of Cutrone but he's just moved to Wolves so would be difficult to get.

 
Won't be able to target very good players if we don't qualify for the CL this season.
That's not true. 

I'd be looking to sign 3 maybe 4 players aged 23-26 that I know can improve our club. 

Defender, Skriniar, Upamecano, Rugani. 

Attacking wide player, Zaha, I'd look at, and I'm expecting us to sign him. But I'd be interested to see who does well this season. 

Striker - No idea. 

A left back might be nice too. But who knows who will be available in a year. 

 
Won't be able to target very good players if we don't qualify for the CL this season.
Won't we? Arsenal are in their 3rd season as a Europa team and have signed the hottest property in the market save for the Dutch duo from A**x.

We won't be able to sign the absolute superstar players, but that's always been the case anyway.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to that transfer window, with all the mouth breathers demanding we buy loads of players for ridiculous amounts of money, but then also demand we bring through youth players at the same time...

 
I doubt we'll break the £300 million mark next summer to be honest.

But we desperately need to spend that money on few top class players instead of several players of lesser quality. That the most important lesson we need to have learned by now.

It's good that Lampard and the club have this season to really assess the options and where we need to strengthen next summer because we really need a great summer.

For me top class CB and strikers are first priority.

 
I doubt we'll break the £300 million mark next summer to be honest.

But we desperately need to spend that money on few top class players instead of several players of lesser quality. That the most important lesson we need to have learned by now.

It's good that Lampard and the club have this season to really assess the options and where we need to strengthen next summer because we really need a great summer.

For me top class CB and strikers are first priority.
I'm all for signing a top class CB but they need to be exactly that. I am worried we will sign someone "decent". Like an Ake. 

We've got Ampadu on loan at Leipzig, he may smash it there. Rudiger and Christensen could also turn out to be a great partnership this season as well. 

Striker I think we will need regardless of how good Abraham does this year. Same for a wide player - Pulisic and CHO are the only wide players we have going into next season (Pedro and Willian will need to be moved on). 

 
I look forward to that transfer window, with all the mouth breathers demanding we buy loads of players for ridiculous amounts of money, but then also demand we bring through youth players at the same time...
I get your point, we all want the youth to succeed, and some will, but we need top quality players around them as well, in 2003 we did similar, we had Terry and Lampard, and went out and bought top quality players to go around them.

We have RLC and CHO? on huge contracts with long term commitment from the club. Now we need to make sure we dont waste them and end up tipping them away with the bath water just because the rest of the water was dirty.

The players under pressure this season aren't the youth but the likes of Zouma, Jorginho, Rudiger, Barkley,Azpilcueta,Alonso,Willian,Pedro,Giroud,Michy, all of which could be replaced by better players when we have the transfer shackles released.

 
I get your point, we all want the youth to succeed, and some will, but we need top quality players around them as well, in 2003 we did similar, we had Terry and Lampard, and went out and bought top quality players to go around them.

We have RLC and CHO? on huge contracts with long term commitment from the club. Now we need to make sure we dont waste them and end up tipping them away with the bath water just because the rest of the water was dirty.

The players under pressure this season aren't the youth but the likes of Zouma, Jorginho, Rudiger, Barkley,Azpilcueta,Alonso,Willian,Pedro,Giroud,Michy, all of which could be replaced by better players when we have the transfer shackles released.
And I fully agree with this, we have very little depth to our squad that needs addressing. I dont think our first 11 is that far behind any other teams including Liverpool and City, or rather has the potential to be that far behind.

I was just digging out the usual muppets who whine if we done sign 20 players in a window, then whine if we dont play youth players also.

 
I'm all for signing a top class CB but they need to be exactly that. I am worried we will sign someone "decent". Like an Ake. 

We've got Ampadu on loan at Leipzig, he may smash it there. Rudiger and Christensen could also turn out to be a great partnership this season as well. 

Striker I think we will need regardless of how good Abraham does this year. Same for a wide player - Pulisic and CHO are the only wide players we have going into next season (Pedro and Willian will need to be moved on). 
I agree, Ake would be pointless as he's no better then what we already have.

 
Looking ahead to next season,  I think we'll need to replace the following players in the squad:

Alonso (will go back to Spain) ; Zouma (not good enough - hopefully sold to Everton) ; Willian (Spain ? China ?) ; Pedro (as Willian) ; Giroud (end of contract, unlikely to extend again)

Looking at our loan players and development squad in the first instance, I could only make a case for Ampadu and Gilmour. Frank liked the look of Maatsen at left back, so he might have a shot as well.

So I'd expect a minimum of 3 new signings, and a maximum of 5.

Personally I hope our scouts do their job and we uncover some under the radar gems that don't require spending on inflated transfer fees (like we did with Kante)

 
knock the Hotel down and rebuild the shed into one big single tiered stand, and keep away fans out of it.

 
Chillwell - £70m

A top drawer CB - £80m (unlikely to be more than Maguire)

McGinn - £30/40m

Sancho - £80m

Icardi -  £50m (I think inter will want rid if they still have him)  - and if Tammy smashes it we need at least 2 good strikers.

total - £320m.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
And I fully agree with this, we have very little depth to our squad that needs addressing. I dont think our first 11 is that far behind any other teams including Liverpool and City, or rather has the potential to be that far behind.
I was just digging out the usual muppets who whine if we done sign 20 players in a window, then whine if we dont play youth players also.
Our first 11 is way behind them, certainly up front at least. We don't have a single top class goalscorer. I take your point about potential but that's a lot of hope being placed on pulisic and Hudson Odoi and they are a number of years from peaking. As for our centre forward options I honestly wouldn't buy any of them if I was managing Norwich let alone a top 6 team.
 
Ake

Chilwell

Zaha or Sancho

Werner or Piatek

Another striker and another winger. Or a player that can play both (like a Richalison type). 

Ampadu returning after his Loan is good for centre back back-up or to rotate/partner with Kante. 

 
Back
Top