Hilario or Turnbull

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the little I've seen of either player, Henrique Hilário Meireles Alves Sampaio would most definitely get my vote.

Hilário does make mistakes, as does any keeper, but Turnbull just does not inspire confidence in any way, shaper or form.. Turnbull will be 25 in January - that's 10 years younger than Hilário. Goalkeepers can and do develop later than outfield players and I would very much like to be proven wrong, but I have seen nothing to suggest that Turnbull may ever become a candidate for the number one No. 1 shirt at Stamford Bridge. .

 
From the little I've seen of either player, Henrique Hilário Meireles Alves Sampaio would most definitely get my vote. Hilário does make mistakes, as does any keeper, but Turnbull just does not inspire confidence in any way, shaper or form.. Turnbull will be 25 in January - that's 10 years younger than Hilário. Goalkeepers can and do develop later than outfield players and I would very much like to be proven wrong, but I have seen nothing to suggest that Turnbull may ever become a candidate for the number one No. 1 shirt at Stamford Bridge. .
I fail to see Turnbull as any more than a 3rd choice, at the club only because he was free, and trained in England.

 
Are you refering to Cudicini? If so then you are off you rocker. Also, watch out for Val. She wont be happy reading that.
Don't worry Moos, that absurd little knob called Stride is of no consequence to me. But if he ever attends a piss-up he's toast. :P

 
Don't worry Moos, that absurd little knob called Stride is of no consequence to me. But if he ever attends a piss-up he's toast. :P
i'm an absurd little knob am i? well this is a new one. chelsea fans threatening and slagging off another chelsea fan for daring to have a go at a TOTTENHAM PLAYER. i used to think he was great when he was with us and i felt sorry for him when we signed petr cech. he could have gone anywhere exept tottenham and i would of still thought he was great.

you ARE a chelsea fan right? or maybe you and the grape crusher fellah are tottenham in disguise. with that avatar and he calls me ridiculous!!

 
ok. i don't know what your problem is but i honestly hope you get over it soon.

 
I thought Turnbull looked a decent keeper at 'Boro', afterall he kept Schwarzer out the team if my memory is correct. 'Keepers only play well given the time to build a relationship with their defence so judging either keeper on their one-off performances is very harsh. Hilario did OK when standing in when Cech was injured, but against everyone else's opinion so far I would go with Turnbull as Cech's backup keeper.

 
Anybody else hear that high-pitched whining?
i've just noticed the "Get well soon Carlo!" msg under your avatar. no offence meant, i'm sorry i honestly didn't know you had a thing about him.

no hard feelings?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're both good backup. But Hilario is a bit of a cult hero for me, so I would pick him.

 
Hilario for all his experience and cameo performances that if has delivered in the absence of others. However, I think Turnbull has a lot of scope for improvement and could be fighting for the no. 1 shirt 3 or 4 years down the line. Sebek, Taylor and Delac are all supposed to have a bright future I hear?

As far as the Cech arguement goes, there used to be times when one particular goalkeeper used to dominate all the headlines. There were the days of Buffon, Casillas and Cech in recent times. I could name others also who for sometime were the best in their position. Now, there are several competing for the best GK title but there is no undisputed leader.

If I was to name the best man between the sticks at this moment, the likes of Cesar, Given, Reina, Akinfeev would come to my mind. The likes of Sorensen, Jansen, Friedel aren't fairing too badly in "the world's toughest league" either.

However, I might shock a few when I state that a certain Hugo Lloris is at this moment the best in his position.

 
Thanks to my phone's word limit, I have to write another post.

I'd like to add that Lloris is one of the best talents in Ligue 1 currently and could be one of the prime candidates to replace Van der Sar at United. He possesses great reflexes and eccentricity by my reckoning. He definitely is the next big thing waiting to be shipped out of France to England, Spain or Italy.

My apologies of going slightly off topic.

 
Thanks to my phone's word limit, I have to write another post.I'd like to add that Lloris is one of the best talents in Ligue 1 currently and could be one of the prime candidates to replace Van der Sar at United. He possesses great reflexes and eccentricity by my reckoning. He definitely is the next big thing waiting to be shipped out of France to England, Spain or Italy.

My apologies of going slightly off topic.
What do you mean by eccentricity? That is not a good thing to have for a keeper, given the standard understanding of that word.

 
What do you mean by eccentricity? That is not a good thing to have for a keeper, given the standard understanding of that word.
I don't think I'll be able to explain that word very well in footballing terms. I think you can replace it with intelligence and decision making for a better understanding of what I'm trying to say.

 
OK, that sounds better.

I was interpreting "eccentric" as "erratic", and that is not good. Now I see where you are going, and he sounds like a very good keeper. Are we in the race to get him? From what I read above, it seems like ManU is the front runner to get him.

 
For my money, Hilario is the better keeper based on what he has shown when put out there.

But this is getting a little out of hand. The whole team lacks confidence right now. And I think Cech is taking a dispropotionate amount of flak for mistakesin which our outfield players are losing concentration.

No, I dont think he is up to the standard of a few years ago, but christ he is still capable of being great, and a more than adequate keeper if the defense holds up its end of the bargain. He spoiled us by being as superhuman as he was prior to the injury

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top