Honest footballers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorkpieBlue

New Signing
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Theo Walcott has come out to say that he dived to try and win a penalty in yesterday's FA Cup third round tie with Leeds Utd. Although that incident didn't result in a spot kick being awarded, the Gooners equalised shortly afterwards in the same fashion.

Now I applaud the young lad Walcott for being honest. The question is - will he start a trend of 'honest' footballers ? I think not. I hate to see anyone diving, and that includes players from my own team. And yet, if my side win a late penalty, or free kick for that matter that leads to an equalizer or winner, I'd be a happy man. (if converted of course Didier !)

If memory serves me correctly wasn't it Robbie Fowler who took a penalty that he confessed to the referee (at the time) shouldn't have been awarded ? (can't remember the outcome - I'm sure some of you will !)

Do we need to see more honesty in the game, or is it now 'win at all costs' ?

 
The overall tendency is win at all costs, and has been for some time now. If anything, Walcott is showing himself to be young and naive. Either that or it's a distraction from the worst offenders in the Arsenal team. Chamakh anyone?

One point I will make is that the reaction to this, both from the media and the public, is unlikely to be anything like the reaction to Drogba's comments of some years ago, for which he was almost universally castigated. Walcott on the other hand, is one of Wenger's and England's golden boys and is therefore to be applauded for his honesty.

 
He's a cheat with a concience, must be hard for the poor lad.

 
He's a cheat with a concience, must be hard for the poor lad.
But he apologised so its ok, he`s a modern day saint. Cheating little f**ker. Though it was funny how he said he apologised because it was the first time hes ever done it. bo**ocks it was.

 
One point I will make is that the reaction to this, both from the media and the public, is unlikely to be anything like the reaction to Drogba's comments of some years ago, for which he was almost universally castigated. Walcott on the other hand, is one of Wenger's and England's golden boys and is therefore to be applauded for his honesty.
This is the very first thought which came into mind as soon as I heard him be praised on the radio for his 'honesty'. The cheating, useless little git can f**k off.

All together now

"You're just a sh*t Wright-Phillips..."

 
Let's be honest. Pretty much every player in the league ill take a tumble if they reasonably beleive that it ill lead to them winning an important free kick or penalty. So the fact one has come out and said "yeah, I dive if I think it's gonna help my team" is hardly suprising and to be honest, I find the honesty on their part refreshing.

 
Let's be honest. Pretty much every player in the league ill take a tumble if they reasonably beleive that it ill lead to them winning an important free kick or penalty. So the fact one has come out and said "yeah, I dive if I think it's gonna help my team" is hardly suprising and to be honest, I find the honesty on their part refreshing.
i would prefer they didnt actually dive and then have to admit to it. Its a stain on the game and until the governing bodies get a grip will only get worse and worse.

 
Merde. I saw that. And I did not like it one little bit.

Theo he should learn to ... how you say, keep his damn fool mouth shut.

 
i would prefer they didnt actually dive and then have to admit to it. Its a stain on the game and until the governing bodies get a grip will only get worse and worse.
Can you name me a Chelsea player who you beleive wouldn't take a tumble in the 90th minute of a Champions League final if they thought it would get them a penalty and the winning goal?

 
Can you name me a Chelsea player who you beleive wouldn't take a tumble in the 90th minute of a Champions League final if they thought it would get them a penalty and the winning goal?
No, but thats my point. Its rife in the game now and pretty much every player would do it. Not sure what your getting at, I hate all players who do it, especially when its one of my own.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top