IMDB top 250

Apparently I've seen 98 of them, a lot on there I would personally class as absolute sh*te though.

 
Just noticed this list doesn't actually match IMDB's top 250... 

 
So..I have seen 143 of these films - that is because I am very very old!!!!!

I can't fathom how they decide what order to put them in!  But I hated Forrest Gump, so I reckon I'm not your average viewer!

 
So..I have seen 143 of these films - that is because I am very very old!!!!!

I can't fathom how they decide what order to put them in! But I hated Forrest Gump, so I reckon I'm not your average viewer!
Also 143 Moi - 57% - we must have domething in common..... maybe age ;)

I also aren't kean on Forrest Gump, especially because it beat Pulp Fiction at the Oscars!

Most of my favourites are in there somewhere, although I personally prefer The Green Mile over The Shswshank Redemption - both great movies though.

The real old ones aren't there. Never got Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin. Much more a Laurel and Hardy type.

My other glaring omissions are the Marvel/DC super hero ones. I can't be arsed with them. After the Christopher Reeve era, I lost interest.

It's good that the list spans the history of cinema though, as the industry is often measured by financial income, which isn't weighted for inflation.

 
99/250 = 39.6%

Top 38% of Users.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I personally prefer The Green Mile over The Shswshank Redemption - both great movies though.
I prefer Shawshank. No Tom Hanks. I much prefer the ones which he produces and/or directs to anything he acts in. I know he had nothing to do with Shawshank, although he would've been the directors first choice for the lead role, mind you. I think it's interesting that he first acted in Apollo 13 and then went on to produce the mini series From the Earth to the Moon, which is much better and more interesting than Apollo 13. Then a few years later he stars in Saving Private Ryan and then goes on to produce (and direct an episode) Band of Brothers. I know it's unfair to compare mini series with movies, but I think both mini series had better and more interesting episodes than either of the feature length movies. I don't know what it is I don't like about his acting, but I don't mind him in the Toy Story movies. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I watched him playing the man-child in Big so many times as a kid that I still find it hard to watch him in anything else.

 
Not clicking through all 250 films, but out of the top 20 the only two I haven't seen are Inception and Interstellar.

 
Not clicking through all 250 films, but out of the top 20 the only two I haven't seen are Inception and Interstellar.
You haven't missed much. Interstellar seems to be regarded more highly, but I thought it was a bit "ho-hum". It isn't even nearly as visually stunning as most reviews claim it is. The visuals are ok, but nothing special. The ending felt a bit cheap and I think it was supposed to be much deeper movie than what it actually was. I quite liked the look of those big bulky robots, though. 

 
Inception was brilliant, one of my favourite films.
Way more interesting than Interstellar and visually more impressive. Although I think they could have been more creative with the dream stuff. And...

The whole sequence in the mountains was disappointing as it felt like something from a second grade James Bond movie.
 
Inception was brilliant, one of my favourite films.
I was told that the big question is whether it was real or a dream. Well it was neither. It was a bluff. They took a cliché, put it into overdrive, threw in lotsa cgi and ignored a meaningful plot or interesting characters. It makes the Matrix look like a masterpiece and damn that was so full of plot holes as a piece of Emmentaler. I was unimpressed. Anyone talking it up probably never read classic sci-fis.
 
Brilliant analysis, undertow, which exactly coincides with mine!!

 
Way more interesting than Interstellar and visually more impressive. Although I think they could have been more creative with the dream stuff. And...

The whole sequence in the mountains was disappointing as it felt like something from a second grade James Bond movie.
Don't even get me started on Interstellar. An empty, soulless, faux-intelligent film. Great visuals though.

It just shows how far Nolan has fallen. Following and Memento were good but since then it only gets worse.

 
Brilliant analysis, undertow, which exactly coincides with mine!!
Quelle surprise! I'd bet you like to read. Don't ask why, just a guess.

I, for one, always found the imdb top list a joke. All it shows what's popular or what's supposed to be (as opposed to really be) a great film. I mean, The Shawshank Redemption the best ever? Really? I never met anyone who wasn't a complete idiot and would put it in his top 10. Or 25. It wouldn't get in my top 100 though I cannot say that I'm Tim Robbins's biggest fan (even if he's better than Tom Hanks which he is).

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tim Roth?? I think you mean Tim Robbins, don't you?  

Tim Roth is a brilliant actor - as in Rob Roy!

 
I've seen a baffeling 23.

I was hoping someone on here could help me with the title of a movie I saw a few months ago, I don't remember a lot so my hope's aren't high.

Alright it was an action movie, classic good guy bad guy movie. The good guy was a police officer.

The bad guy was a very weird and scary looking fella, think his face was mutilated in some way. He lived in a baseball stadium, (some small room) and I think he was janitor or something. The good guy found out he lived there, chased him and shot him there. Still he managed to flee somehow but from here on out he limped I think. He then got on board of a school bus or something and forced the kids to sing songs.

The good guy chased him and they ended up in a sandwinning location. The good guy shot him there and the bad guy fell into the water.

So that's pretty much the ending of the movie and I think it's all I remember. I hope someone can help me haha.

 
Tim Roth?? I think you mean Tim Robbins, don't you?  

Tim Roth is a brilliant actor - as in Rob Roy!
That's what I wrote, isn't it? ;)

(Thanks for the correction, you were right of course.)

 
I've seen a baffeling 23.

I was hoping someone on here could help me with the title of a movie I saw a few months ago, I don't remember a lot so my hope's aren't high.

Alright it was an action movie, classic good guy bad guy movie. The good guy was a police officer.

The bad guy was a very weird and scary looking fella, think his face was mutilated in some way. He lived in a baseball stadium, (some small room) and I think he was janitor or something. The good guy found out he lived there, chased him and shot him there. Still he managed to flee somehow but from here on out he limped I think. He then got on board of a school bus or something and forced the kids to sing songs.

The good guy chased him and they ended up in a sandwinning location. The good guy shot him there and the bad guy fell into the water.

So that's pretty much the ending of the movie and I think it's all I remember. I hope someone can help me haha.

That's a Clint Eastwood film, isn't it?  Do you feel lucky, punk?  Well, do you??  An early Dirty Harry?

 
Back
Top