Is it Time to Drop Cech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Members AF
Messages
3,472
Reaction score
2,090
It's been a long time since he was the best keeper in the world. Is he even the best keeper at Chelsea now?

We all love him, and rightly so. He's been brilliant for us for a long time, but it looks as if he will never again scale the heights he reached pre-fracture. And in the early part of last season, and at times this season, he has looked hapless - never a good look for a goalkeeper.

Hilario did alright when he came in recently and it could be argued that he deserves a run in the team to see what he can do. It might not do Cech any harm either to have a run on the bench.

What do you reckon, fellow Shedenders?

 
Val reckons "Bring back Cudicini!"

 
No it isn't time to drop him. He certainly isn't as good as he was when he was at his very best (and hasn't been since the injury), he certainly isn't in the top three keepers in the world any more, he isn't even the best keeper in the Premiership any more but he is the best keeper at Chelsea and his form hasn't faltered to the point where he merits being dropped.

Hilario is equally iffy, in fact more iffy, at dealing with cross balls and Turnbull has, so far, been a liability in the stiffs.

 
One mistake in an otherwise great performance, and you say he should be dropped?

Even in the match where he was sent off and gave away the penalty he was argueably our MOTM before that, and that was the fault of some shocking defending too.

 
No. Certainly not. Not yet atleast.

Yeah, he isn't the guy he used to be, however, he still can be regarded as one of the best in the league when it comes to mental awareness and dead ball situations. And as is the convention, goalkeepers are at their best in their early 30s and he is still some way of it.

I think he is doing his job well enough and doesn't deserve the stick as of now.

 
One mistake in an otherwise great performance, and you say he should be dropped?
Agreed. All game he was plucking crosses out of the air and taking them comfortably, he commanded his area for the most part IMO.

 
No it isn't time to drop him. He certainly isn't as good as he was when he was at his very best (and hasn't been since the injury), he certainly isn't in the top three keepers in the world any more, he isn't even the best keeper in the Premiership any more but he is the best keeper at Chelsea and his form hasn't faltered to the point where he merits being dropped. Hilario is equally iffy, in fact more iffy, at dealing with cross balls and Turnbull has, so far, been a liability in the stiffs.
Thank you for reading my post Loz, and basing your comments on what I actually wrote. I agree with you on Hialrio. If we had a viable alternative I genuinely think that a spell on the bench would benefit Cech.

 
I think if we used Hilario then there's a very good chance of Cech being dropped. ::clap2::

 
I certainly think his position as worlds no 1 has passed him but he'd still walk into any top side in the world and probably be first choice.

 
Val reckons "Bring back Cudicini!"
Sometimes it's worrying how well my fellow forum members know me :)

Anyway. No, let's not drop Cech. I'm convinced he's still better than Hilario, whom we have only seen in 1 match. There is absolutely no guarantee that Hilario would do better. And as far as I'm concerned, most goals we've conceded resulted from mistakes in the defense overall, not just from goalkeeper's mistakes.

And, not really relevant right now, I'm relieved that Cech hasn't made it to the World Cup finals. Disappointing for him, but at least one of our interntional players can get a rest during the summer.

 
but at least one of our interntional players can get a rest during the summer.
Why does Cech need a rest in the summer? I thought keepers spent the majority of most games standing about doing very little!

But Cech's form does worry me. He used to be Mr Reliable. Even when the defence were off form you knew Cech would be there to "save the day". I think for a while, we genuinely had the best keeper in the world and it was very reassuring.

Now, he's like most other premiership keepers. Still good, but prone to make mistakes in every match. I caught the highlights of the Spurs v Pompey game and Gomez made some brilliant saves, but then equally still looked a bit iffy on occassions and I think that is how Cech is now - certainly not as sure as he once was.

 
I didn't get to see the Villa match, had to listen to it on 5Live. The commentators on there, including that w**k-gargoyle Alan Green were outraged at Carew getting away with holding Cech back for the second goal. So much so that they kept on and on about it for ages. So, I was looking forward to seeing the MOTD crew highlighting it from a mulitude of angles, repeatedly analysing and then declaring that the goal should not have stood.

What did I get?

Sweet FA from the gurning Lineker and the drunk jock bloke. Nothing from the other shirt. No comment, no multi-angle, no analysis.

I wonder at what time during the afternoon the BBC decided to change it's policy about that?

 
I dont think he was that bad against Villa, caught most of the high balls, no chance for the first goal made a bit of a mess in the second goal, but the defenders were in the penalty box taking a smoke. I do believe defenders take more responsibilities when Cech is not playing, e.g. against Liverpool. In that match, JT was everywhere and Ricky had a pretty decent game too. Hialrio and the other GK should be playing Carling cup exclusively. If we get a early qualitfication into the next round in the CL, the reserve GK should get a game too.

 
Personally I think that Hilario deserved to start against Villa. He played fantastically well against Liverpoo, and personally I felt he deserved to keep his place in the side on the back of that performance alone. Not because Cech's been bad, and I don't personally feel he has been that bad, just because Hilario did so well, and good performances should be rewarded. He may not have Cech's class, but he certainly isn't too bad, and sometimes, being in form can make you just that little bit better.

Saying that, though, I don't think we can drop Cech now. That'd ruin his confidence, if he would have lost his place due to Hilario playing well, that's a kick up the arse, if he were to lose it due to playing badly, that's more of a kick in the teeth. Following through the analogy, here. We want to kick him forwards, not backwards. So, no, don't drop him. Maybe give Hilario the Carling Cup game, and if he plays well he might keep Cech out of the side, but other than that, I think dropping Cech would be a mistake.

 
Dont know if its been mentioned yet but there was a thing on sky sports with cech saying he felt he was fouled for the second goal by carew.

Anyway can't believe the talk of dropping cech. Granted he hasn't been as good since his injuries but he is still by the far the best keeper at the club. Hillario didn;t actually have much to do against Liverpool other than that one save from Rieira on the free kick.

 
Why does Cech need a rest in the summer? I thought keepers spent the majority of most games standing about doing very little!
:) How right you are. They're annoyingly idle during practice, and concentration isn't energy-consuming either. Lazy gits.

 
As all others I feel Cech hasn't been the same after his injury, but we've got one of the premiership's best goalkeepers and I don't think it's time to drop him now. Credit to Hilario for a very decent performance against the dippers and for always performing when put to the test though.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top