John Obi Mikel Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet every manager we've had had selected him for the big games. Yes, even the Blessed Mourinho, Double-winning (and cruelly sacked) Ancelotti and Mighty Guus. These are all top, top managers, probably some of the best in the world, and they all think he makes a contribution to any side they put out.

We are all fans, who pay our money, but I think that we have already established that none of us are now, nor have ever been, in the top levels of football in any capacity, other than sitting in our pants playing Football Manager or the other one.

I have my reservations about Mikel, but I am content that managers who have won everything there is to win in club football know a little bit more than me.

Kev

ps - Just - the same applies to Kalou, in my opinion.
So following your logic Stewart Downing should still be in the England squad despite his awful season? I realise that all our managers have played him a lot but then what choice have they had? Essien has spent about half of the duration of Mikel's tenure in the treatment room!

Sorry but Mikel simply hasn't been anywhere near as good as advertised over the 5 years he's been with us. Need I remind you that we paid £16 Million for him which is a ludicrous amount of money to pay for any 18 year old who's only ever played in the Norwegian league. He was dubbed as the heir apparent to Makelele who, quite frankly, was in another universe compared to JOM. We were lucky to have the best holding midfielder of this century in our side and therefore comparison seems unfair. But the fact of the matter is that there are better holding players out there who offer more than Mikel's limited repertoire of skills.

Yes, he was excellent under RDM, and hopefully that continues. If it does, great and we're all happy. Hopefully this could be the season that Mikel emerges and can become of greater use going forward. If he could add a killer through ball to his game and greater consistency then I'd be sold on the guy. Until that's the case, he deserves to be scrutinised, IMO.

 
He has been very good ever since he came back in the starting line-up after Romeu lost some form and a key player in our success this season.

I think the competition has helped him realise he needs to be at his best all the time and keep his concentration high, but it could well be that he is just maturing and getting completely settled at his position on the field. I think he will get better as they years go, Maka was at his best late in his career and Jon Obi has all the physical qualities a defensive midfielder needs.
I agree completely. Mikel is definitely a player that I didn't rate particularly well prior to this season, but he's been fantastic since being reinserted into the lineup. Whatever caused the lightbulb to go on, and I think you're onto something with the competition for his spot being at least part of it, he's been a different player. I like that we have Romeu around to continue to push him to be at his best. Ultimately, I think Romeu's got more upside, but there's no denying that Mikel had some of his best performances in our biggest games and he deserves credit for that whether or not one rates him on the whole.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
So following your logic Stewart Downing should still be in the England squad despite his awful season? I realise that all our managers have played him a lot but then what choice have they had? Essien has spent about half of the duration of Mikel's tenure in the treatment room!

Sorry but Mikel simply hasn't been anywhere near as good as advertised over the 5 years he's been with us. Need I remind you that we paid £16 Million for him which is a ludicrous amount of money to pay for any 18 year old who's only ever played in the Norwegian league. He was dubbed as the heir apparent to Makelele who, quite frankly, was in another universe compared to JOM. We were lucky to have the best holding midfielder of this century in our side and therefore comparison seems unfair. But the fact of the matter is that there are better holding players out there who offer more than Mikel's limited repertoire of skills.

Yes, he was excellent under RDM, and hopefully that continues. If it does, great and we're all happy. Hopefully this could be the season that Mikel emerges and can become of greater use going forward. If he could add a killer through ball to his game and greater consistency then I'd be sold on the guy. Until that's the case, he deserves to be scrutinised, IMO.
What top manager has EVER selected Stewart Downing for anything other than to be the bloke who phones the order in to Dominos?

Mourinho, Ancelotti, Hiddink all thought he was good enough, so I can't find it in my heart, and my very limited experience of coaching top European and International teams to disagree with them.

 
What top manager has EVER selected Stewart Downing for anything other than to be the bloke who phones the order in to Dominos?

Mourinho, Ancelotti, Hiddink all thought he was good enough, so I can't find it in my heart, and my very limited experience of coaching top European and International teams to disagree with them.
Fair enough, but I don't think anyone needs Uefa's coaching badges to see that there are better holding midfielders than JOM.

 
With better attacking players in front of him, i think we will see his true qualities

 
Fair enough, but I don't think anyone needs Uefa's coaching badges to see that there are better holding midfielders than JOM.
Which current Chelsea players aren't outclassed by someone, somewhere?

Petr Cech and Ashley Cole have the best shouts. That doesn't mean everybody else is tosh just because there are superior players out there.

 
Fair enough, but I don't think anyone needs Uefa's coaching badges to see that there are better holding midfielders than JOM.
The best players dont always make the best team.

 
I saw this thread, and thought it cannot be, people can't appreciate Mikel :biggrin:

Always thought he was a good player for us, and severely underrated..

 
The Nigerian coach often said Chelsea are restricting Mikels talents as naturally he is more of an attacking minded midfielder. He's done a great job infront of the back four but I agree he his capable of a lot more, he is responsible for covering that area so will always be creatively restricted. Regardless he's been a beast for us and seems a great guy on and off the pitch. Loyal Chelsea player.

 
And he is still only 25, and being here for the seventh year, we can say he learned most of it here.

 
http://www.kickoff.com/news/29612/frank-lampard-says-fellow-chelsea-midfielder-john-mikel-obi-is-underrated-by-outsiders

Frank Lampard says fellow midfielder John Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders, but valued by his Chelsea team-mates.

Critics of the Nigeria midfielder point to his uninspiring, simplistic style of football and question his contribution to the Chelsea team, but Lampard says the 25-year-old is given flak unfairly.

"He's a brilliant player. I think he's improved a lot over the last few years. He's at a level now where he's playing some great football," Lampard told KickOffNigeria.com exclusively.

"Maybe the reason people say that is because he's playing a position that is really underrated.

"He's not a player that's going to score you goals in a season but his value to the team is measured by how his team mates talk about him and we all have nothing but high praise for him."

Lampard goes on to explain why Mikel is such an asset for Chelsea.

"He does a lot of work for us in the holding role, keeps the ball moving for us. He's great at tackling, intercepting balls, winning balls, and has great feet."

Mikel arrived at Chelsea as an 18-year-old in 2005 burdened with a £16million price tag and Lampard suggests that this may have played a art in piling up the pressure.

"I think he had a lot of pressure on him as a young player. He came with a big responsibility because of the way we brought him into the club, but I think in the last two or three years he has improved greatly. He's a top top player now."
 
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/08/mikels-sideway-pass-no-724.html

Mikel's Sideway Pass No. 724

Previously on Mikel's Sideway Passes:

"I love John Obi Mikel like
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/06/mikels-sideway-pass-no-197.html a mother loves her middle child
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/06/mikels-sideway-pass-no-197.html, who's starved of the attention other siblings get. A child who's under-appreciated and often misunderstood."
"With three Bayer players pressing him like a pack of wolves, Mikel
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/07/mikels-sideway-pass-no-216.htmlexecutes a quick change of direction toward the left before lifting ball gently
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/07/mikels-sideway-pass-no-216.html, in a perfect rainbow arch, to Malouda."
"The Nigerian
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/08/mikels-sideway-pass-no-37.htmllobs the ball beautifully/accurately into the Ivanovic's feet
http://www.carefreechronicles.com/2012/08/mikels-sideway-pass-no-37.html."
[fade out]

[fade in]

​


THE GAME: Reading (H), Premier League 12-13.

THE SITUATION: Chelsea are dominant in the early stages of the game, but Reading defense stays compact with two banks of four. Chelsea moves the ball around in the back from left to right before Mata finds Mikel around the center circle.

THE EXECUTION: Mikel lets the ball roll across his body effectively slipping away from his marker Guthrie. He then plays a neat little one-two with Lampard and drives forward down the left with Guthrie chasing. Just like that Mikel is between Reading's two defensive lines. The Nigerian sees that Hazard has pulled away from Gunter, so he passes the ball into the Belgian's feet before continuing his run forward.

THE CONSEQUENCE:

​


Mikel's presence in the advance position means that Guthrie cannot double up on Hazard to help his fullback Gunter. Hazard draws a foul and wins the penalty. Lampard scores. Chelsea leads 1-0.
 
He's rated 4.5 on Premier League fantasy football. :rolleyes:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is one club I will never join.

I still think we are missing a trick not playing Oriol here. Kid has real class unlike Mikel...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top