Hopefully he'll be back next sunday against Spurs, but it's important that he gets rested, so that he doesn't return too early. At least Essien has done very well in that position.
I think it is more important that JT does not rush bad, everybody saw what a serious kick he took to the head, knocking him out cold, so if its rest he needs for a few weeks, so be it.
He will be back fighting fit to lift the CL thropy
Although I like to see Essien in midfield, he has done a top job as centre back. I also think Ricky has stepped up to the plate, since he's beceome the more senior one in the back four... if you like.
I think that Carvalho's performances and Essien's ability to fill in have meant that we have not missed JT as a centre half as much as we feared.
What we have missed in spades is his leadership (and his aerial threat in the oppositions penalty box).
I think it is unfortunate that Lamps is our vice captain as he is clearly not captain material. Having said that I don't really see anyone else who is captain material so we are stuck for choice with JT out.
My thoughts before were that Ballack may actually be a better choice as the added responsibility may result in an improvement in his all round game.
However it would be a major smack in the teeth for Lamps to be stripped of the vice captaincy and to then see it handed to a relative newcomer and a player who is really competing with him to play in the same area of the pitch.
Having enough attacking options now I think it`s not so crucial loss now and Essien is doing fine there too. It`s just means Robben or Kalou will start and I`ll be happy to see anyone of two.
Having Essien`s and Cole`s pace and Carvalho`s positioning we`ll be able to push defensive line up and be confident at the back against Porto, with Peter Cech on fire!!!
Will be an interesting match. As long as its 0-0 we would go through so I dont think we will attack a lot at the beginning. Proably JM picks 4-4-2 to controll the midfield. This system always did a good job in the CL, so I think its the best choice. If we have to score a goal then Robben should come in and turn it around again
Anyway Im not sure if we should let Robben on the bench.