WV2 Blue
First Team Squad
- Messages
- 1,398
- Reaction score
- 30
I took great pleasure in reading this one earlier today, so much so i thought it deserved a thread on the forum...
In last Fridays Manc fanzine we know as The Sun...Gaunty gobbed off a little about JT... http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle1251971.ece
But, today a revelation...Gaunty crawls up his own backside!!! as follows...
Jon Gaunt.
I SLAGGED off John Terry and called him a crybaby last week.
Only problem is, he reads it and phones me!
I’m standing at the bar buying Alan Brazil another beer in the interval at the Rod Stewart concert when the mobile goes off.
"Is that Gaunty?"
"Yeah, who’s that?"
"John Terry, Gaunty."
"Oh yeah?!" (Or words to that effect!)
"It is me, Gaunty."
"Oh. What do you want?"
"I want to talk about your column in The Sun."
"I can’t talk now, I’m in Spain at the Rod Stewart concert with Brazil."
Now I’m expecting a mouthful of expletives and abuse, but instead I get: "Oh right, sorry about that, Gaunty — didn’t mean to disturb you. Can I call you in the morning?"
JT is polite, civil, well-mannered and considerate. In shock, I reply, "Yeah, phone me at 11."
Next morning, bang on 11, JT phones back, asks me how the concert went and how my family are enjoying the break.
Then he goes on to talk about my crybaby article.
First things first, he was again polite and gentlemanly as he tried to explain why he cried when he missed that penalty.
He told me how much the game meant to him, but also just how much Chelsea Football Club and their fans mean to him. I believed him and he nailed the myth that all modern footballers are only interested in the cash.
This was definitely a young man who loves the badge with a passion and he went up massively in my estimation.
Honesty
It takes a big man to pick up the phone and have it out with me without resorting to threats or foul language.
I also loved the way he talked frankly to me, a complete stranger. He said: "I’m not in any way embarrassed at crying."
But, he insisted, he was upset that I had called him a crybaby.
I again made the point that although I understood his passion and commitment to the team, I still felt that, as a leader and a captain, he should have shown more restraint and been consoling his team-mates rather than crying.
He talked movingly about his friendship with Frank Lampard and about the support he has been giving Frank since his mother’s death.
That part of the conversation will remain a secret between him and me, but suffice to say I was extremely moved by his words and although I didn’t blub, I was well on the way.
He told me how much he enjoys both the column and the radio show, and that my comparison of him with Bobby Moore hurt him most.
He actually said: "If I could be half the man Bobby was, I’d be a happy man."
He also admitted his past mistakes, but said: "I’m trying to be a real man, father and husband now, Gaunty."
And you know what? I believed him — and I was honestly moved by his honesty and integrity.
Last week I said John wasn’t fit to walk in Bobby’s shadow or captain England.
However, if he exhibited more of what he showed me on the phone, combined with his obvious talent and passion for his club and country, I now believe he could become a real leader of men.
Nice one JT
source:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/john_gaunt/article647926.ece
In last Fridays Manc fanzine we know as The Sun...Gaunty gobbed off a little about JT... http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle1251971.ece
But, today a revelation...Gaunty crawls up his own backside!!! as follows...
Jon Gaunt.
I SLAGGED off John Terry and called him a crybaby last week.
Only problem is, he reads it and phones me!
I’m standing at the bar buying Alan Brazil another beer in the interval at the Rod Stewart concert when the mobile goes off.
"Is that Gaunty?"
"Yeah, who’s that?"
"John Terry, Gaunty."
"Oh yeah?!" (Or words to that effect!)
"It is me, Gaunty."
"Oh. What do you want?"
"I want to talk about your column in The Sun."
"I can’t talk now, I’m in Spain at the Rod Stewart concert with Brazil."
Now I’m expecting a mouthful of expletives and abuse, but instead I get: "Oh right, sorry about that, Gaunty — didn’t mean to disturb you. Can I call you in the morning?"
JT is polite, civil, well-mannered and considerate. In shock, I reply, "Yeah, phone me at 11."
Next morning, bang on 11, JT phones back, asks me how the concert went and how my family are enjoying the break.
Then he goes on to talk about my crybaby article.
First things first, he was again polite and gentlemanly as he tried to explain why he cried when he missed that penalty.
He told me how much the game meant to him, but also just how much Chelsea Football Club and their fans mean to him. I believed him and he nailed the myth that all modern footballers are only interested in the cash.
This was definitely a young man who loves the badge with a passion and he went up massively in my estimation.
Honesty
It takes a big man to pick up the phone and have it out with me without resorting to threats or foul language.
I also loved the way he talked frankly to me, a complete stranger. He said: "I’m not in any way embarrassed at crying."
But, he insisted, he was upset that I had called him a crybaby.
I again made the point that although I understood his passion and commitment to the team, I still felt that, as a leader and a captain, he should have shown more restraint and been consoling his team-mates rather than crying.
He talked movingly about his friendship with Frank Lampard and about the support he has been giving Frank since his mother’s death.
That part of the conversation will remain a secret between him and me, but suffice to say I was extremely moved by his words and although I didn’t blub, I was well on the way.
He told me how much he enjoys both the column and the radio show, and that my comparison of him with Bobby Moore hurt him most.
He actually said: "If I could be half the man Bobby was, I’d be a happy man."
He also admitted his past mistakes, but said: "I’m trying to be a real man, father and husband now, Gaunty."
And you know what? I believed him — and I was honestly moved by his honesty and integrity.
Last week I said John wasn’t fit to walk in Bobby’s shadow or captain England.
However, if he exhibited more of what he showed me on the phone, combined with his obvious talent and passion for his club and country, I now believe he could become a real leader of men.
Nice one JT
source:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/john_gaunt/article647926.ece