Barn
First Team Regular
- Messages
- 2,824
- Reaction score
- 305
I've been watching a lot of youth and reserve football the last few years and it's been really exciting to see how our youngsters have been able to dominate teams, as proved with our showing in the FA Youth Cup in the last 3 seasons. Last year our team seemed to be all about flair and creativity - Kakuta, Sala, Josh, Tore, Paddy Van A, even Bruma likes to bring the ball out from the back. From that team I felt that there were a number that really had the potential to make it to the first team, those mentioned above and Sam Walker.
This season those feels very different, we still seem to dominate teams but we don't seem to be able to really put them to the sword, it may just be that we don't have a "proper" striker - Lalkovic is as much a winger as he is a forward. It may be that our reputation has grown so much that team are happy to park the bus against us. But watching last night - another very good victory for the lads - but it got me wondering how many of that team really have the potential to make it?
Danny Mills Papoe - I do like the look of, he's a young centre half so he does get caught out at times but I think that's pretty standard at this age.
Chabola - a really good player that needs to bed down a position before he ends up becoming a utility player, for me he's better as a holding midfielder than a centre half but is very good in either position.
Dean-Conteh - Not sure, I think his strength and speed at this level might be hiding a few too many flaws in his game.
Lalkovic - Decent but he's got a long way to go, I'd like to see more of him alongise an out and out striker but he's definitely got talent.
Kalas - better last night than in the game against Villa, if he can learn to pass the ball short he has the potential
Billy Clifford - a cracking player that I think will ultimately miss out through not having a consistent position, he's too versatile for his own good and a youth player is rarely going to get into the first team if they don't have a position.
So in a nutshell and keeping in mind that I know nothing about anything (or at best very little), it seems to me that if any of this years Youth Team are going to make it it'll be the defensive players rather than the flair of last year (I know Josh is still a youth team player, but it's almost a given now that he's a first teamer).
Thoughts?
This season those feels very different, we still seem to dominate teams but we don't seem to be able to really put them to the sword, it may just be that we don't have a "proper" striker - Lalkovic is as much a winger as he is a forward. It may be that our reputation has grown so much that team are happy to park the bus against us. But watching last night - another very good victory for the lads - but it got me wondering how many of that team really have the potential to make it?
Danny Mills Papoe - I do like the look of, he's a young centre half so he does get caught out at times but I think that's pretty standard at this age.
Chabola - a really good player that needs to bed down a position before he ends up becoming a utility player, for me he's better as a holding midfielder than a centre half but is very good in either position.
Dean-Conteh - Not sure, I think his strength and speed at this level might be hiding a few too many flaws in his game.
Lalkovic - Decent but he's got a long way to go, I'd like to see more of him alongise an out and out striker but he's definitely got talent.
Kalas - better last night than in the game against Villa, if he can learn to pass the ball short he has the potential
Billy Clifford - a cracking player that I think will ultimately miss out through not having a consistent position, he's too versatile for his own good and a youth player is rarely going to get into the first team if they don't have a position.
So in a nutshell and keeping in mind that I know nothing about anything (or at best very little), it seems to me that if any of this years Youth Team are going to make it it'll be the defensive players rather than the flair of last year (I know Josh is still a youth team player, but it's almost a given now that he's a first teamer).
Thoughts?