Ken Bates RIP

No Bates, no Chelsea

Being younger than some on here I only ever saw the "good" side of Bates during the late-90s, and some of the stories you all have told over the years on this forum are truly hair-raising (electric fence pun intended). He was clearly a person who was disliked but respected.

I don't know if I ever got the feeling he had the same emotional connection as say Roman Abramovich did, but he did a lot of things that set standards and expectations (as did Abramovich).

Also he nearly sent Leeds to oblivion, which should also be up there with his crowning glories.

 
Statement by the board of Chelsea Pitch Owners:

We are greatly saddened by the news that Ken Bates has passed away and send our condolences to Suzannah and all his family. Without Ken, the club we love might well have been lost. Without him, there would be no CPO. Turning fans into pitch owners is a unique legacy and a vision that we will continue to deliver

 
From fb - Chelsea rewind and liked this comment,

'I took my nephew Aedan to his first game. He was ten or eleven. He got a couple of autographs. Ken was standing there. So I told Aedan who he was. Aedan awestruck said “ you own Chelsea!?” . Ken smiled and said “ I’m only looking after it , until you’re old enough to take over “. Aedan beamed… 🥹"

RIP Ken

745342034_1590704702416077_872916883886474912_n.png


 
I see people floating the idea on X of renaming the West Stand the Ken Bates stand.

I think it's a great idea, and while they are at it they can change the east stand to the Mears Stand.

 
Back in the 80s, my Mum wrote to him saying that me, my Dad and my brother, all season ticket holders, were getting a ton of stick from West Ham fans as we lived in Essex. School was a nightmare, particularly in 86, when West Ham had their one decent year. Back in those days, there was only two Chelsea fans at my school, me and my younger brother.

Ken wrote back, thanking us for our support in foreign territory, and a few days later a thank you card arrived signed by all the players (Kerry, Pat, Speedie et al)……
I got similar back in 1970 from Dave Sexton. My Mum wrote to the club and they sent me a load of goodies and a letter signed by Dave, The club was very much close to the fans in those days.

 
Funny how the spelling of words is different across the pond. Like ‘mum’ and ‘mom’. Not sure I like mum, but I definitely don’t like the overuse of the word ‘whilst’ by you guys that we NEVER use in the US. Sounds too stilted for my tastes. Just use ‘while ’ - sounds much less pompous. Rant over !!!

 
Funny how the spelling of words is different across the pond. Like ‘mum’ and ‘mom’. Not sure I like mum, but I definitely don’t like the overuse of the word ‘whilst’ by you guys that we NEVER use in the US. Sounds too stilted for my tastes. Just use ‘while ’ - sounds much less pompous. Rant over !!!
We invented your language pal, you'll say it however we tell you.....

😅

 
Funny how the spelling of words is different across the pond. Like ‘mum’ and ‘mom’. Not sure I like mum, but I definitely don’t like the overuse of the word ‘whilst’ by you guys that we NEVER use in the US. Sounds too stilted for my tastes. Just use ‘while ’ - sounds much less pompous. Rant over !!!
I dunno @Phillip , I can imagine you dressed up in suit and tie and using 'whilst' every other sentence. You have that charming sophisticated vibe 🤔

 
I see people floating the idea on X of renaming the West Stand the Ken Bates stand.

I think it's a great idea, and while they are at it they can change the east stand to the Mears Stand.
On top of that, we already have the Matthew Harding Stand, nobody would want to change the name of the Shed End or Stamford Bridge, so that leaves Cobham for Roman Abramovich 🤔

 
Last edited by a moderator:
We invented your language pal, you'll say it however we tell you.....

😅
All right. From now on, I will say Pro-cess, not Prah-cess. But I cannot say whist, or they will think I am a la-de-dah pooftah (can I still say that?).

 
  • Haha
Reactions: dkw
All right. From now on, I will say Pro-cess, not Prah-cess. But I cannot say whist, or they will think I am a la-de-dah pooftah (can I still say that?).
No. And say mudguard instead of fender. Boot not trunk. And spell colour with the “u” it deserves.

 
Ugh… do I have to spell ‘tire’ as ‘tyre’?

I just cant.

And sorry, the word lorry has no place in my vocabulary.

 
Ugh… do I have to spell ‘tire’ as ‘tyre’?

I just cant.

And sorry, the word lorry has no place in my vocabulary.
Learn how to pronounce aluminium before you move on to testers like mudguard.

 
Back
Top