Leeds and Leeds and Leeds I hate Leeds

F1905 > I get asked quite a lot why I followed chelsea been from donny 

I put it down to the old northstand and the white strip down the shorts > I only ever saw pictures of all things chelsea when I was in primary school from shoot magazine or football sticker cards .ctc was nor on the tv much up our way and I was only cfc at school .

when I started to go down to SB to division two games we was sh*te tbh ,but I noticed that on the 08:30 Train to London KX would have cfc fans on it fron Scotland ,newcastle region ,donny region ,retford ,pboro . When I say region said train station would pull in cfc from surrounding towns to get them down to London KX .

likes of west ham ,Spurs ,Arsenal were in division one back then ,and I never noticed fans from those clubs at all .when the prem kicked in then you saw fans from Arsenal ,Spurs on the trains heading diwn and back from the smoke on saturdays .

i have meet cfc fans from newcastle ,Bradford,Leeds,hull,grimsby,pboro,retford ,darlington  all on that east coast line .
My mate used to go out with a bird from Donny (Armthorpe I think it's called) we went up a few times in the mid 90's last time I was there was 2000 is the Formula 1 motel still there and a pretty rough boozer called the Cheshire Cheese I think. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fair play to you ,it always amazes me wherever and whenever I have travelled with CFC I've met fans from all of the UK.. I worked in Bradford for a while and never met any CFC , plenty of mancs though,sadly

I've got a west ham mate ,lives down south but born and raised in Warrington , always respected him for that,he used to talk about the rugby league tear ups , whole new world for me until I worked in Bradford and saw the bulls 

Living in the south game day was me travelling into Waterloo and it always amazed me the amount of CFC on the trains from Bournemouth and areas like that... Waterloo on a Saturday night was lively,I guess your train journey back up to Donny was interesting on occasions 

Up the chels
My worst train journey back up north was after the cfc v mboro play off game and defeat .kings X was rammed with boro which I type of managed to just blend in since I was on me own .

once on the train it was impossible to blend in as it was full of boro all happy as pigs in muck and I was on me own and I guess the 

Only person not drinking . It was not too long before a load of boro had figured me out since I was wearing the gear etc etc .

they basically bullied me all the way back to retford the stop before donny ,I guess the amount of ale they had necked helped me as they had got board with me ,a few of had fell asleep.one pillock has took his adidas trainers off and placed them on the table and fell asleep ,I had his trainers away as I got off at donny ,and then banged like f**k on the window to wake the. smoggy div up with his trainers in me hand as train was pulling out > his and their looks was a small victory .

 
My mate used to go out with a bird from Donny (Armthorpe I think it's called) we went up a few times in the mid 90's last time I was there was 2000 is the Formula 1 motel still there and a pretty rough boozer called the Cheshire Cheese I think. 
Cheshire cheese has now closed down sorry to say fella ,think the Formula 1 motel is still there ,armthorpe a former pit village is still there but minus the pit .

 
I for one never tire of seeing that goal.

Cheers for posting it.
I got lucky with this one, I'd been going  through on of my fallow periods, in terms of games that I actually went to. A lovely lady that I worked with at the time had a ST, but due to domestic tribulations was unable to get to many games, and I went to most of the games for the remainder of the season, including Franco's last game and goal. The lucky bit was the first time I used M's ST, it was this Leeds game and it was the start of regular match going again until 2011 or so, although I had to start shelling out for myself for the next season, as for M, she never went short of a free lift to games for as long as I knew her.

 
Yep, had a few mates in my class in the '70's who were Leeds fans. Looking back I recall lots of Chelsea, few Spuds and Arsenal, and the rest were Liverpool and Leeds all due to the success of those two at the time and the fact they were on MOTD more often that not.

That 5-0 at The Bridge in '84, remains one of my all-time favourite football experiences. A wonderous day - never to be forgotten.

Looking forward to renewing the rivalry and the Lamps - Bielsa will help fuel it little bit more! 
That ‘84 game was great.

Was in the Palmerston before the match and whole place emptied as their coaches drove past. In Gate 13 for the match,and all on the pitch after. Those were the days ?

 
Think Leeds has been a unlucky city for me ,was on my way to a Carlisle v chelsea game and was on Leeds station waiting for my connecting train to Carlisle ,when a few lads went by and I got a whack to me gob with the words > Leeds can’t < ,when I get in the train I was sat with the lads that whacked me 15 mins previous ,it’s great having a laugh with a fat lip over mistaken identity ,the chap who Lampard me gave me a copy of his NF paper .

One game at Leeds ,we all jumped into a Luton van about 15 of us and were taken to a pub in pudsey ,mick Greenway had been there since Thursday on the piss. Had a great drink with locals etc etc and no stress at all ,food laid on the lot .

luton van dropped us off outside the ground just before game stared and we got into ground ok .

after the game the van was picking us up right outside the ground and we all jumped into the back ,and this is where things started to go wrong as some Leeds tried attacking the van ,it managed to drive away and back to pudsey where we was all back in the same pub untill 19:45 where we got back into Luton van for last train back to London KX via donny .

Van stops and us in the back think it’s Leeds station ,so we pull the doors up I jump out with a mate ,then we notice it’s the back end of Leeds station so we walk towards the front of station ,walking down the street small group of Leeds attack us and we are both throwing slaps back ,but then this massive mob of Leeds came from around the corner ( they had all been in jack o nellys pub waiting for a Luton van to appear  I was told ) 

it got very very messy fir us with van shooting off and Everyman for himself ,one poor lad got knocked out then when keeds went to attack the van it drove off and the lad knocked out was picked up thrown throu a shop window and cut his tendon in his are very very bad . Two undercover police had stepped in and dragged me out and was walking me upto Leeds station .As soon as they walk me into Leeds station they have to run back down > that’s when I think the cfc lad got thrown throu the window < 

leeds station at that moment was a quite place as all the Leeds lot was still out in the back streets chasing the van .

sh*t loads of donnywhites on the same train back and they gave Me chelsea mates a pass since the season before after we played at sheff utd last game of season a few chelsea was in donny for the day and night after the game .

cardiff had been at sc**thorpe and had won promotion etc etc   After the sheff utd game it was early doors on sat night and there was about 20 chelsea with about 15 donny rovers lads all having a drink ,the chelsea lot was booked into B&B .

some of the main donnywhites came in spoke to me and said that the chelsea lot would not Get no stress round donny tonight if they did not take the piss. 
i was quite happy since it was a worry for me .

donnywhites leave pub after talking with chelsea lot and all is cushdy ,about 1 hour later sone donnywhites come running back i to pub asking if the Chelsea lot would give them a hand since a big mob of Cardiff was around the corner causing havoc.

alk the chelsea lot and donny rovers lads ran out ,and i recall chelsea saying to me < fack who is who ,its simple them running towrads  you are alk donnywhites thats mob behind them are Cardiff ,we ran throu donnywhites and into the Cardiff lit where the tide wa stopped ,doonywhites came back into the fray and after about 10 mins there was knocked bodys all over clock corner me included .

later on that night a Cardiff lad was run over and killed outside donny station ,but that nothing to do with us . Night went off OK with no more stress untill chelsea went back to their B&Bs where it turned out Cardiff were in B&Bs on the same Street and it got messy again . 

 
The 83 away game was a laugh too.

Drove up to Leeds and after a few beers just outside Leeds we parked in the car park near the ground. Cop tried to take my car keys as was worried I would throw them at someone. Had a new XR2 at the time and which probably cost more than he earnEd in a year so after a bit of debate, he gave up.

Recall the chants of ‘one Yorkshire ripper, there’s only one Yorkshire ripper’ didn’t go down well with locals or cops.

Ended up scrapping all the way back to the car after the game, and Bates flying past us in his Rolls or Bentley on way back down the M1. He slowed down and tooted us then disappeared - we had scarfs on the back shelf...

Had a little incident at one of the services on way home, can’t remember where but think it was Liverpool on their way back north, and they crossed over the bridge. Plenty of vans and cars of our lads though and no major damage.

Was always a laugh in those days, but we were in our twenties, not late 50s then

 
I only remember as far back as 2000's before Roman came. I remember they had a few Aussies and then when they lost all of their money some of their players went to Liverpool...

 
Great memories ddrblue ,i was wondering how you ended up supporting CFC living up in sunny Donny?

Being old i am in the “ we all f**k8ng hate leeds” camp .....I grew in a family where my mum came from just outside wakefield so all her side were dirty Leeds ,we lived down south so my trips to the norf were always fun,CFC pin badge to the fore when it was time to meet the family 
i had a funeral up in leeds crem just before Christmas last ,down near elland road ,seemed strange

Re the petrol bomb  train i was on that ,as were ,as you say hundreds of typical Chelsea ie all young lads ,majority casuals and the majority game ....the petrol bomber i believed committed suicide some time later ,the things you remember 

anyway your right We had the whole side ,which was terraced and Were in the seats above as well,i cant remember any trouble outside to be fair ...funnily enough i was at Derby game when the seats got wrecked in the last minutes ,to my shame the papers had a picture of us behind the goal and im there with a deer stalker hat on,oh dear !

I cant say im happy to have them back ,horrible club still in my eyes, a tiny bit pleased for my mum but that is it 

re the miners they did get a battering by old bill,i remember at the time arguing with my mates as they loved it but they didn’t really see,regards less of the politics, no pits meant the death of many communities ....

Always remember Leeds at Brum where the wall collapsed and the kiddy sadly died...That looked like carnage on TV

anyway Horrible club ha ha
We had 8,000 up there in 84 1-1 draw. We had seats at the side and the terrace in front. I was on a coach that day and had to wait for  police escort off the motorway. Great view as the escort was 40 coaches strong!!

 
We had 8,000 up there in 84 1-1 draw. We had seats at the side and the terrace in front. I was on a coach that day and had to wait for  police escort off the motorway. Great view as the escort was 40 coaches strong!!
Nov ‘83?

 
Last time i saw Leeds Poyet scored the winner, 1999.




 
Last edited by a moderator:
Think Leeds has been a unlucky city for me ,was on my way to a Carlisle v chelsea game and was on Leeds station waiting for my connecting train to Carlisle ,when a few lads went by and I got a whack to me gob with the words > Leeds can’t < ,when I get in the train I was sat with the lads that whacked me 15 mins previous ,it’s great having a laugh with a fat lip over mistaken identity ,the chap who Lampard me gave me a copy of his NF paper .

One game at Leeds ,we all jumped into a Luton van about 15 of us and were taken to a pub in pudsey ,mick Greenway had been there since Thursday on the piss. Had a great drink with locals etc etc and no stress at all ,food laid on the lot .

luton van dropped us off outside the ground just before game stared and we got into ground ok .

after the game the van was picking us up right outside the ground and we all jumped into the back ,and this is where things started to go wrong as some Leeds tried attacking the van ,it managed to drive away and back to pudsey where we was all back in the same pub untill 19:45 where we got back into Luton van for last train back to London KX via donny .

Van stops and us in the back think it’s Leeds station ,so we pull the doors up I jump out with a mate ,then we notice it’s the back end of Leeds station so we walk towards the front of station ,walking down the street small group of Leeds attack us and we are both throwing slaps back ,but then this massive mob of Leeds came from around the corner ( they had all been in jack o nellys pub waiting for a Luton van to appear  I was told ) 

it got very very messy fir us with van shooting off and Everyman for himself ,one poor lad got knocked out then when keeds went to attack the van it drove off and the lad knocked out was picked up thrown throu a shop window and cut his tendon in his are very very bad . Two undercover police had stepped in and dragged me out and was walking me upto Leeds station .As soon as they walk me into Leeds station they have to run back down > that’s when I think the cfc lad got thrown throu the window < 

leeds station at that moment was a quite place as all the Leeds lot was still out in the back streets chasing the van .

sh*t loads of donnywhites on the same train back and they gave Me chelsea mates a pass since the season before after we played at sheff utd last game of season a few chelsea was in donny for the day and night after the game .

cardiff had been at sc**thorpe and had won promotion etc etc   After the sheff utd game it was early doors on sat night and there was about 20 chelsea with about 15 donny rovers lads all having a drink ,the chelsea lot was booked into B&B .

some of the main donnywhites came in spoke to me and said that the chelsea lot would not Get no stress round donny tonight if they did not take the piss. 
i was quite happy since it was a worry for me .

donnywhites leave pub after talking with chelsea lot and all is cushdy ,about 1 hour later sone donnywhites come running back i to pub asking if the Chelsea lot would give them a hand since a big mob of Cardiff was around the corner causing havoc.

alk the chelsea lot and donny rovers lads ran out ,and i recall chelsea saying to me < fack who is who ,its simple them running towrads  you are alk donnywhites thats mob behind them are Cardiff ,we ran throu donnywhites and into the Cardiff lit where the tide wa stopped ,doonywhites came back into the fray and after about 10 mins there was knocked bodys all over clock corner me included .

later on that night a Cardiff lad was run over and killed outside donny station ,but that nothing to do with us . Night went off OK with no more stress untill chelsea went back to their B&Bs where it turned out Cardiff were in B&Bs on the same Street and it got messy again . 
That my friend is an important part of history and well done for sharing.

 
I only remember as far back as 2000's before Roman came. I remember they had a few Aussies and then when they lost all of their money some of their players went to Liverpool...
Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Tony Dorigo and Paul Okon all played them.

They're well supported down under despite years out of the top flight.

 
Nov ‘83?
It was a huge away following that’s for sure and cfc was in division 2 back then ,I doubt many teams in division one could have matched those numbers ,if I recall cfc was not pulling up any tress on the pitch back then if you get my jist 

 
My old man sitting cheering on Bayern Munich when we were watching on tv the 1975 European Cup Final.

Remember him cheering when they scored and at the final whistle.
I watched that game at my (then) girlfriend's house. Her dad, who was a City fan, supported Leeds that night because they were the English club. I went with Bayern, not wanting Leeds to win anything and at the end of the game, her old man was livid and spitting blood. I beat a hasty retreat but it was an amusing experience.

My first away game at Leeds was in September 1969. We were crammed into the cowshed but a good number were in other parts of the ground. Game ended 2-2. Leeds fan were barracking Best who responded by making a mug out of Reaney and then scoring twice, one of which had the Leeds defenders - Jack Charlton in particular - screaming at Gary Sprake.

 
the hypocrisy of the whole thing in regards to great clubs and clubs with history gets me. You probably wouldnt find many Liverpool fans saying Leeds dont have any History, yet apart from that ten year period in the first division under revie what did they win before that? stupid kin song. Rant over.

 
They also had a bit of success in the early 90's under Wilkinson.

I agree though very minor successes before the 70's..

 
Back
Top