Lewis Dunk has a dog called Didier

f**k me how the mighty fall. A few years ago we had an array of WC talent playing at the back for us. Linked with other WC talent. These days we are linked with Lewis Dunk, with people on here advocating for Johnny bloody Evans! 
 

Infuriatingly I think I prefer the John Stones rumours!  (I’ll get my coat!....)
Johnny Evans as an alternative to Lewis Dunk... slight difference to suggesting he ought to be our first choice target.

 
I agree he's a good player, but it feels like an expensive stop gap, the best case scenario is he comes in and stabilises our defence, but feel we will still need to replace him if we are to win any of the big trophies.  The worst case scenario he ends up with his arm around old Danny, driving pissed round the m25 with 50 pound notes flying out the window shouting 'You know I played in the Champions League once'.   
We don't need to make him a first choice CB though, do we, as long as we keep upgrading our squad Dunk may turn into a useful squad player, a reliable experienced option you can count on during a long campaign. Now if it was 2005 and we had prime Terry, Carvalho and Gallas competing for one of the two CB spots, the idea of going after someone like Dunk would have been odd, he'd have never had a shot in hell of getting on the pitch. But who in our current roster is realistically better than him based on this past season's performances? I'd say he was comfortably better than each and all of them.

Regarding the fee, I agree, way too much given post-Covid financial environment, Dunk's age and no resale value, but who knows what's really going on, how much Brighton demands for him or whether we even made an inquiry in the first place, it's all guesswork based mostly on self-proclaimed Twiiter ITKs and journos pretending to know something others don't.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do we not think though that the foreign CEO's see us be linked with and enquire about massively over inflated (price-wise) English players which makes them dig their heels in because they know ultimately we will pay in the end.

If we are linked with £40m Dunk, £50m Rice, and £80m Chilwell, then why budge at all over a "generational" talent like Havertz. £90m is cheap. Pay up you crazy English!

 
We don't need to make him a first choice CB though, do we, as long as we keep upgrading our squad Dunk may turn into a useful squad player, a reliable experienced option you can count on during a long campaign. Now if it was 2005 and we had prime Terry, Carvalho and Gallas competing for one of the two CB spots, the idea of going after someone like Dunk would have been odd, he'd have never had a shot in hell of getting on the pitch. But who in our current roster is realistically better than him based on this past season's performances? I'd say he was comfortably better than each and all of them.

Regarding the fee, I agree, way too much given post-Covid financial environment, Dunk's age and no resale value, but who knows what's really going on, how much Brighton demands for him or whether we even made an inquiry in the first place, it's all guesswork based mostly on self-proclaimed Twiiter ITKs and journos pretending to know something others don't.
I think we both have the same thoughts here, if we can get him for £15-20m then I'm happy with it.  £40m sound close a top 10 most expensive centre back of all time, I don't believe we will pay that anyway.

 
Back
Top