Lewis Dunk has a dog called Didier

The price has nothing to do with being a good addition or not. Whether he costs us a bag of crisps or £200 million, if he does what he is supposed to do, he will be a good signing.
The question is whether he can do it. For £45m it is a serious gamble. Not to mention there certainly are better options for that money.

 
Who? And would that better option be actually available and willing to sign for us?
Off the top of my head Jonny Evans has 1 year to run on his Leicester deal and has just had an excellent season - can’t see him costing anywhere near what Dunk would cost. Tyrone Mings at Villa? A year younger with recovery pace and probably available for a fee in the region of what’s being quoted for Dunk? 

 
Off the top of my head Jonny Evans has 1 year to run on his Leicester deal and has just had an excellent season - can’t see him costing anywhere near what Dunk would cost. Tyrone Mings at Villa? A year younger with recovery pace and probably available for a fee in the region of what’s being quoted for Dunk? 
I get the feeling as soon as we are linked with a player their valuation goes up £10m-£20m.

 
We need a defensive leader. Whether it is a CB or the keeper of better yet both. Lewis Dunk or Rice would bring that. If you bring in French 20yr old defender who is learning the trade you still lack what you need.

But the +20m English addon is a joke. I agree with that. It is what it is.

I feel Frank wants his team to communicate on the pitch as he stated it. This is one way to try and fix that. At least Englishmen are comfortable of doing that among themselves I guess.
Yeah thats a fair argument to make and I agree with that, we definitely do need a leader and as you said it may be easier for a Rice or Dunk to do that. But the price is definitely the main issue here

 
I get the feeling as soon as we are linked with a player their valuation goes up £10m-£20m.
Thats usually City and Utd isn't it? Clubs can charge whatever price they feel when it comes to them 2, because they just throw money at everything

 
Off the top of my head Jonny Evans has 1 year to run on his Leicester deal and has just had an excellent season - can’t see him costing anywhere near what Dunk would cost. Tyrone Mings at Villa? A year younger with recovery pace and probably available for a fee in the region of what’s being quoted for Dunk? 
Evans 32 and past his prime. Can't see him being an upgrade on what we have right now. Only looks good alongside Soyuncu, without him on the pitch not only Evans but Leicester's defense in general seems shaky. Just like Evans, Mings is a decent CB but in my opinion both are no better than Rudiger, Christensen and Zouma.

 
  • Like
Reactions: Oli
I can't work out football fans thinking sometimes when it comes to transfers.  The consensus here (I maybe wrong) is that paying £40m for a 29 year old defender who's spent most of his career battling relegation in a team that's only ever seen a high defensive line when their opponents play it, and during this time not a sniff from any mid table teams let alone teams fighting for Europe regarding a transfer.  But he's english so he's used to the league so worth the high price tag unlike those foreign wusses oh and he shouts a lot so he's a perfect fit.  

On the other hand paying £60m for a young fullback who's Franks number one choice (apparently), playing for a team fighting for European places in a high defensive line, playing attacking football, with his whole career ahead of him to improve and get better is a terrible idea.  We're better off getting a foreigner cause they're cheaper and will obviously adapt to the league just like our last few fullback transfers.  

 
I can't work out football fans thinking sometimes when it comes to transfers.  The consensus here (I maybe wrong) is that paying £40m for a 29 year old defender who's spent most of his career battling relegation in a team that's only ever seen a high defensive line when their opponents play it, and during this time not a sniff from any mid table teams let alone teams fighting for Europe regarding a transfer.  But he's english so he's used to the league so worth the high price tag unlike those foreign wusses oh and he shouts a lot so he's a perfect fit.  

On the other hand paying £60m for a young fullback who's Franks number one choice (apparently), playing for a team fighting for European places in a high defensive line, playing attacking football, with his whole career ahead of him to improve and get better is a terrible idea.  We're better off getting a foreigner cause they're cheaper and will obviously adapt to the league just like our last few fullback transfers.  
Tbf its 40m Dunk vs 80m Chilwell - Massive difference in price

 
It is worth remembering that Brighton have their own top prospect, Ben White, looking to get game time and have admitted they have a great depth of CBs.

Thus for me these fees for Dunk are a joke and personally I would not entertain them. If Spurs wish to pay 45mill, let them.

We found great value in deals with A**x and RB there is no reason to go nuts now.

I get the sort of money being talked about for Havertz based on his age and the talent he supposedly has. If Hazard was once more leaving Lille would we not all be happy at structuring a deal around 90mill to have such a player? Heck we got basically 120mill for him after paying 32mill. Havertz could go for 180mill in 7 years.

Brighton have a need to sell. Most teams do, they also have cover in that department so no need to buy a replacement. 

Given his age and no resale value in this market we should offer between 20-25mill for Dunk. If Brighton do not accept, so be it.

 
It is worth remembering that Brighton have their own top prospect, Ben White, looking to get game time and have admitted they have a great depth of CBs.

Thus for me these fees for Dunk are a joke and personally I would not entertain them. If Spurs wish to pay 45mill, let them.

We found great value in deals with A**x and RB there is no reason to go nuts now.

I get the sort of money being talked about for Havertz based on his age and the talent he supposedly has. If Hazard was once more leaving Lille would we not all be happy at structuring a deal around 90mill to have such a player? Heck we got basically 120mill for him after paying 32mill. Havertz could go for 180mill in 7 years.

Brighton have a need to sell. Most teams do, they also have cover in that department so no need to buy a replacement. 

Given his age and no resale value in this market we should offer between 20-25mill for Dunk. If Brighton do not accept, so be it.
I think it's a good point you've raised regarding Ben White and I'd also include Webster who Brighton believe to be a great signing, could they not be trying to phase out the likes Dunk and Duffy for a younger back line with more pace?  If so are we really looking at Brighton cast offs? If I'm honest I think this story is nonsense.

 
I think it's a good point you've raised regarding Ben White and I'd also include Webster who Brighton believe to be a great signing, could they not be trying to phase out the likes Dunk and Duffy for a younger back line with more pace?  If so are we really looking at Brighton cast offs? If I'm honest I think this story is nonsense.
A lot of the discussion around the fee is based on rumours in tabloids. I am would be surprised if Dunk goes for that sort of price. Ben White is also being chase by various clubs (including ourselves supposedly). Worth noting that with Ben White you are signing on potential. He has had one good season with Leeds but in the Championship. Lewis Dunk has impressed enough for Brighton in the Premier League that he got an England call up. He also brings strong leadership that we desperately need. White may prove to be a better player in the long term, but equally he may go the same way as Christensen.

 
A lot of the discussion around the fee is based on rumours in tabloids. I am would be surprised if Dunk goes for that sort of price. Ben White is also being chase by various clubs (including ourselves supposedly). Worth noting that with Ben White you are signing on potential. He has had one good season with Leeds but in the Championship. Lewis Dunk has impressed enough for Brighton in the Premier League that he got an England call up. He also brings strong leadership that we desperately need. White may prove to be a better player in the long term, but equally he may go the same way as Christensen.
You could be right but I think they may be in a Cech Courtois situation where if they carry on with the likes of Dunk then they may lose White if he's not guaranteed first team football.

 
At 20m its worth it. Above that, no thanks! At best he could be a new Gary Cahill! At worse we could be ripped off and end up with a defensive version of Drinkwater! 20m maybe worth the risk, above that move on!

 
Tbf its 40m Dunk vs 80m Chilwell - Massive difference in price
Have to remember that’s what Leicester is asking, it’s already been reported they have come down considerably... I doubt Dunk or Chilwell go for those numbers to be honest, I also don’t think Havertz goes for £90M either... it’s just how negotiating works

 
I think it's a good point you've raised regarding Ben White and I'd also include Webster who Brighton believe to be a great signing, could they not be trying to phase out the likes Dunk and Duffy for a younger back line with more pace?  If so are we really looking at Brighton cast offs? If I'm honest I think this story is nonsense.
I think it's very harsh to call Dunk a cast off. If Brighton are indeed open to offers for him they're probably trying to cash in on a player whose transfer value given his age will never be as high as it is now and as a club they aren't exactly swimming in cash so who can blame them if they were to go down that road.

As for the player himself, he's had a very good season and may prove to be a great acquisition for us. We haven't had that type of a defender since Cahill left and we can certainly use his experience and leadership. 

 
  • Like
Reactions: dkw
I think it's very harsh to call Dunk a cast off. If Brighton are indeed open to offers for him they're probably trying to cash in on a player whose transfer value given his age will never be as high as it is now and as a club they aren't exactly swimming in cash so who can blame them if they were to go down that road.

As for the player himself, he's had a very good season and may prove to be a great acquisition for us. We haven't had that type of a defender since Cahill left and we can certainly use his experience and leadership. 
I agree he's a good player, but it feels like an expensive stop gap, the best case scenario is he comes in and stabilises our defence, but feel we will still need to replace him if we are to win any of the big trophies.  The worst case scenario he ends up with his arm around old Danny, driving pissed round the m25 with 50 pound notes flying out the window shouting 'You know I played in the Champions League once'.   

 
f**k me how the mighty fall. A few years ago we had an array of WC talent playing at the back for us. Linked with other WC talent. These days we are linked with Lewis Dunk, with people on here advocating for Johnny bloody Evans! 
 

Infuriatingly I think I prefer the John Stones rumours!  (I’ll get my coat!....)

 
f**k me how the mighty fall. A few years ago we had an array of WC talent playing at the back for us. Linked with other WC talent. These days we are linked with Lewis Dunk, with people on here advocating for Johnny bloody Evans! 
 

Infuriatingly I think I prefer the John Stones rumours!  (I’ll get my coat!....)
Did you think the same when we signed Cahill?

 
Did you think the same when we signed Cahill?
No - admittedly not. But I guess we still had a somewhat decent back line for him to fit into then so the need for a new CB leader was not so prominent. The goal posts are a bit different now.
 
Back
Top