Supposedly we have now cooled our interest in Ake.Its just typical lazy reporting.
Lewis Dunk - Chelsea Fan, dog called Didier.
Chelsea possibly looking to trigger Ake release clause = Chelsea need a CB.
Lewis Dunk is a Chelsea fan and is a CB...wait, hang on. Chelsea must be interested in Lewis Dunk.
Sometimes its easy to look like a good CB when playing for teams like Brighton, they have a good defensive system, and he flourishes there. Are you seriously telling me if Rudiger or Christensen played for Brighton, that they would be behind Dunk? I doubt it.I say buy this guy and sell Christensen
I know I know, why sell an internationally recognised CB-talent at 24 for an almost 29 y o no-namer in a potentially par-for-par deal?
But guess what, Christensen will most likely never fulfill his apparent potential for us and this no-namer is actually a really good PL defender. He'd make us immediately more stable and stronger, particularly in the air, and his passing looks great. Let's not forget that Brighton has the 9th best defense of the league, conceding only one goal more than us (might look different after Thursday).
Since Van Dijk everyone is convinced that there is no route to success without a 90m centre half, but I think this guy could actually be an intriguing addition to our back line. Now it doesn't look like Brighton will be relegated, but maybe Corona could make them a bit more reasonable on their valuation.
I can't really get to the bottom of your point - does he look like a good CB next to Brighton's average squad? Or because he's being carried by Brighton's great defense?Sometimes its easy to look like a good CB when playing for teams like Brighton, they have a good defensive system, and he flourishes there. Are you seriously telling me if Rudiger or Christensen played for Brighton, that they would be behind Dunk? I doubt it.
Not only that, but I thought we were linked with him in January, and his price was around 50m... Not worth that much. Just look at Harry Maguire, for Leicester's system he was good and a solid defender, better than Dunk I'd say. But look at him for Utd, was he worth the world record fee? Nowhere near.
Its a bit of both, he obviously looks better next to players of a similar calibre, but Brighton have also been quite good defensively in general.I can't really get to the bottom of your point - does he look like a good CB next to Brighton's average squad? Or because he's being carried by Brighton's great defense?
Personally, I don't see why it would be so much easier facing the same premier League strikers playing for Brighton rather than for Chelsea. And aren't like 70% of transfers of top clubs based on the player having performed good at a smaller club and the hope he'll continue to do so at a bigger club?
I know he's 28 but I remember a few years ago ManCity bought a bit of a no-name player called fernandinho at that age for quite a bit of money and that turned out pretty good. I like the fact Dunk has experience captaining a Premier League team, in my eyes that's exactly the leadership and rough edge we're missing from Christensen.
No my excitement towards Dunk as a target is obviously entirely based on the idea he might be available for considerably less than the 50m GBP reported last January.
To be fair I think most people that watched the UCL or at least had som interest in football would have known about Fernandinho. After all they did splash out a pretty high amount of money for him as well.I can't really get to the bottom of your point - does he look like a good CB next to Brighton's average squad? Or because he's being carried by Brighton's great defense?
Personally, I don't see why it would be so much easier facing the same premier League strikers playing for Brighton rather than for Chelsea. And aren't like 70% of transfers of top clubs based on the player having performed good at a smaller club and the hope he'll continue to do so at a bigger club?
I know he's 28 but I remember a few years ago ManCity bought a bit of a no-name player called fernandinho at that age for quite a bit of money and that turned out pretty good. I like the fact Dunk has experience captaining a Premier League team, in my eyes that's exactly the leadership and rough edge we're missing from Christensen.
No my excitement towards Dunk as a target is obviously entirely based on the idea he might be available for considerably less than the 50m GBP reported last January.
As to your question about Christensen: I don't care about who's interested in buying who, but I believe the following: if we agreed on a straight swap Dunk-Christensen with Brighton this summer, next season our defensive performance would improve and theirs would get worse.To be fair I think most people that watched the UCL or at least had som interest in football would have known about Fernandinho. After all they did splash out a pretty high amount of money for him as well.
- It goes both ways though. They also bought Fernando from Shakhtar. He wasn't exactly succesful.
If we were to go for a guy like Lewis Dunk, it would have to be at a max. price of £10-20M. What he offers is - as you say - experience, leadership and that rough edge. But is he a better footballer, and more intelligent than a guy like Christensen? Does he have the same potential? The same age? - No.
What I like doing is turning the table around. Would Brihgton want a guy like Christensen? Hell yeah. Would they be willing to pay £20-40M+ for him - given that he'd want a transfer to them? I've got no doubt. With this in mind, why would Lampard want to switch out a young, intelligent player from our own ranks with someone that's older, and has experience, but isn't really a better fotoballer?
I believe we're waiting until the right defender becomes available - instead of spending anywhere between £15-40M on another decent squad player like we've done countless times. We've got plenty of those already. One thing I do miss about Mourinho was the fact that he made sure we went for a few - though expensive - quality players. Diego Costa, Fabregas, etc. Those guys was key to us winning the title.
I like the transfers we've done so far - and I'm really excited about the possible Havertz transfer. But a guy like Dunk shouldn't even be linked to Chelsea IMO. It reminds me of a few years back when we we're linked to Crouch and Barnes. hat was around the same time when we bought Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Emerson and so on.
As to your first post - I agree 100 %As to your question about Christensen: I don't care about who's interested in buying who, but I believe the following: if we agreed on a straight swap Dunk-Christensen with Brighton this summer, next season our defensive performance would improve and theirs would get worse.
Now I know that's a bold statement and I'll happily have Christensen convince me I'm wrong in the next 6 weeks.
Agree with pretty much all of this, and if a massive CB transfer became achievable I wouldn't think twice about it, not even for money concerns. My considerations evolve around a scenario in which such a transfer doesn't appear on the horizon, and in such a situation I don't see why exchanging one of our CBs - with a financial par for par outcome or even a little profit - in a way that could slightly improve and stabilise us for next season, would hold us back in the long run. There'd be no negative impact on FFP and it wouldn't stand in the way of any big money transfer when it becomes attainable.As to your first post - I agree 100 %
There's a bit moneyball to it, and obviously there's someone going under the rader, that would potentially be a complete gem to get our hands on.
- In some way I belive that's what we did with Marcos Alonso. Instead of going for expensive well-known names we went for a guy that Conte wanted. Someone that has later been looked at as one of the best wingbacks in the world.
Could Dunk be another case? Maybe. But I doubt it. My point wasn't even if someone would like to swap or buy Christensen - but more the that FL and the coaching staff knows they've got their hands on a brilliant footballer, who simply lacks some recklessness and leadership. I believe Rüdiger has that, but the pairing of the two seems two go wrong nonetheless. Perhaps they're failing to communicate and organize their defensive roles, but something's wrong.
Still, my point is - and thisis pure speculation... If your're FL, and you've got four centre backs - all decent, but none whom are really world class. Would you go out and buy another one, that isn't really better than the rest? Especially with the FFP limitations? A case could be made that next season we'd be better off. But this isn't a sprint - it's a marathon. And what I believe FL and the board are doing is looking at the long game. How do we secure our team for years to come?
Is it by trusting the ones we've got, and then adding another high quality defender in the coming years when one becomes available - or is it by buying Dunk, and maybe ending up with a slightly better defence in the next couple of years - but still being significantly behind teams like City and Liverpool overall? What I'd look in to instead is someone like Romagnoli or Ruben Dias.
Expensive? Yes. Worth it? More than taking a change with Dunk IMO.
For now I suppose we have to trust Christensen in the remaining games of the season. He was decent against Villa, but tonight he'll be tested - not so much on physicality (luckily for him), but more on keeping his focus at all times.