Marina Granovskaia leaves Chelsea

My personal opinion is the club has a whole panicked at our lack of goals from the season before and thought it would be easier to fit him in the system than it turned out.

The links with Sterling and Raphina are pretty promising in the sense that we seem to be now identifying stylistic fits as opposed to what we did last summer. I can forgive underwhelming signings if they should have worked on paper (ala Werner, Ziyech or even Kepa) but Lukaku made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I would hope we’re not serious about Raphina at 65m with Gnabry available at just over half that fee. Sterling I’ve no problem with or Jesus who I think may flourish away from City. All would suit…Let’s get some CDs first though!

 
I mean she obviously has power in negotiations and for that has to take some of the responsibility.

But i think what me, @dkwand others are arguing is the notion she picks the players to target herself. It doesn't stand up to logic and I'll have to see some close to irrefutable evidence to be swayed on that.
She will obviously have listened to arguments from the coach, scouts and even Petr Cech.

But she was the only one (and Roman)  with the power to actually make the decisions. And sometimes she would listened to the coach and multiple times she would not. There have been countless instances of that the last few years. She fell out with Lampard because he wanted to spend the £80 million Rice was available for two years ago for example. And she fell out with Conte and Emenalo when she decided to buy Morata instead of the available Lukaku that Conte and Emenalo were desperate for. And that's just two examples.

 
She will obviously have listened to arguments from the coach, scouts and even Petr Cech.

But she was the only one (and Roman)  with the power to actually make the decisions. And sometimes she would listened to the coach and multiple times she would not. There have been countless instances of that the last few years. She fell out with Lampard because he wanted to spend the £80 million Rice was available for two years ago for example. And she fell out with Conte and Emenalo when she decided to buy Morata instead of the available Lukaku that Conte and Emenalo were desperate for. And that's just two examples.
But in what context? Does she pick the player out of the list she's given who she thinks is a combination of the most attainable and financially suitable? I can see that.

Does she go round and pick players from scratch herself? Not a chance for me.

 
But in what context? Does she pick the player out of the list she's given who she thinks is a combination of the most attainable and financially suitable? I can see that.

Does she go round and pick players from scratch herself? Not a chance for me.
See I completely agree with you here and your previous post too, she doesn't pick the players herself, BUT my conclusion differs: as she decides how much to pay to get the options in the list, and whether or not to get them, already makes her the single most powerful (and responsible) figure in our transfers committee.

For example, theres a list of 3 strikers from last season, her saying "option 1) Haaland and option 2) Kane for 150m is too much or can't get, I'm going with Option 3 Lukaku", gives her the discretion to assign worth (or lack thereof for Kounde, Rice and some Conte transfer targets) makes her the most responsible person for our lacklustre incoming transfers record imho.

 
See I completely agree with you here and your previous post too, she doesn't pick the players herself, BUT my conclusion differs: as she decides how much to pay to get the options in the list, and whether or not to get them, already makes her the single most powerful (and responsible) figure in our transfers committee.

For example, theres a list of 3 strikers from last season, her saying "option 1) Haaland and option 2) Kane for 150m is too much or can't get, I'm going with Option 3 Lukaku", gives her the discretion to assign worth (or lack thereof for Kounde, Rice and some Conte transfer targets) makes her the most responsible person for our lacklustre incoming transfers record imho.
But that's the point, she's not guilty that someone wrote Lukaku's name down on the list! If I go to my wife with a list of three things I want, 1) an Aston Martin, 2) a Harley Davison, 3) a holiday in the beach. Even though I'd rather have the Porsche or the Harley, we haven't got the finances, so we are left with the beach, even though I'd rather go to the mountains! Whose fault is it? Mine for writing down "holiday in the beach" when I don't like it. Same here, she did not pick up Lukaku! Lukaku was on the list and was the one that was achievable. The fault is of those that put his name down on the list, and that wasn't her.

Now, could she have negotiated a better deal and better contract? Maybe yes, but probably not because Inter did not want to sell and we had to lure him to come with money and more money. Someone could have told her that they didn't need him, much less at the quoted price, and I'm sure that she would have been happy to save Roman some quids. The other option is that it was Roman himself that wanted him, as some suggest. Then again it is not her fault, it would be Roman's.

 
But that's the point, she's not guilty that someone wrote Lukaku's name down on the list! If I go to my wife with a list of three things I want, 1) an Aston Martin, 2) a Harley Davison, 3) a holiday in the beach. Even though I'd rather have the Porsche or the Harley, we haven't got the finances, so we are left with the beach, even though I'd rather go to the mountains! Whose fault is it? Mine for writing down "holiday in the beach" when I don't like it. Same here, she did not pick up Lukaku! Lukaku was on the list and was the one that was achievable. The fault is of those that put his name down on the list, and that wasn't her.

Now, could she have negotiated a better deal and better contract? Maybe yes, but probably not because Inter did not want to sell and we had to lure him to come with money and more money. Someone could have told her that they didn't need him, much less at the quoted price, and I'm sure that she would have been happy to save Roman some quids. The other option is that it was Roman himself that wanted him, as some suggest. Then again it is not her fault, it would be Roman's.
She was obviously involved in the process of making the list though. Not to mention she was responsible for making sure our scouting department was up to scratch in the first place. When it became obvious that Scott McLachlan wasn't doing his job well enough she should have sacked him and replaced him with someone better. But on the contrary she promoted McLachlan after Emenalo left. This is from back in 2017 after Emenalo had departed:

"Chelsea have tasked head scout Scott McLachlan with filling the hole left by former technical director Michael Emenalo. McLachlan will work closely with Granovskaia to achieve the club's objectives and is already drawing up plans for the January transfer window."

So ultimately it always goes back to decisions that Marina have made.

 
I thought she should have won her court case, c'est la vie. 
Dunno about UK law but the threshold for conviction in a similar offence here in Australia is insanely high - has to be a concrete threat to kill or harm.  No surprises a jury couldn't reach a guilty verdict.

 
GT6OpXdXIAYPHNl


For a moment there I thought it was yet another youngster with potential snatched by Chelsea scouts from the streets of Rio and signed to a lifelong contract. Looks like David Luiz's love child.

 


For a moment there I thought it was yet another youngster with potential snatched by Chelsea scouts from the streets of Rio and signed to a lifelong contract. Looks like David Luiz's love child.
She has raised him well. Kudos.

 


For a moment there I thought it was yet another youngster with potential snatched by Chelsea scouts from the streets of Rio and signed to a lifelong contract. Looks like David Luiz's love child.
I had no idea she even had a son LOL. Had her down as the single career woman for some reason 🙂 

 
Back
Top