Martin O'Neill has made the sensitive feminists angry

Are any you ladies actually annoyed about what he said?
In isolation it's not a big deal, but Martin O'Neill has repeatedly shown himself to be to a massive prick, so he doesn't get (or deserve) benefit of the doubt.

 
In isolation it's not a big deal, but Martin O'Neill has repeatedly shown himself to be to a massive prick, so he doesn't get (or deserve) benefit of the doubt.
More examples please, you seem to have a bunch at the ready. Let's hear them!
 
More examples please, you seem to have a bunch at the ready. Let's hear them!
You're right, he's not as bad as I thought. The two main incidents I was thinking of were punching a guy at a hotel so asked him to autograph his book and getting out of his car at a traffic light to scream at and flip off a taxi driver. Both of those were Roy Keane. I mistakenly associated it with Martin O'Neill because they happened recently, so O'Neill was asked about them in relation to Keane being his assistant.

O'Neill did say some prickish stuff about how he gets a perverse enjoyment (his words) from dropping a player be dislikes on a personal level and publicly saying that he dropped a player (Hoolahan?) because he can only handle playing in front of a home crowd not an away crowd.

I'm married to someone from Ireland by the way.

 
I'm not actually annoyed by O'Neill unfunny moment, however, how people respond to someone who does take offense is typical of a lack of effort to imagine why she took offense.

Through the ages and even today, women have struggled to be taken seriously. For instance, if they wanted to continue studying, they had to fight for it. In professions that were usually exclusively male, they have had to endure the condescending and lame jokes, like O'Neill's. Actually, in a lot of workplaces where women are a minority, those jokes are still prevalent. Some women are the target of that kind of joke just walking in the street.

And when women object, they are told they are overreacting, to get a sense of humour, to get a life, and that they need to get laid. The jokes and the jokers are not malicious, but they show a lack of appropriateness, and the lingering opinion that it's alright to make "just a joke". After all, men wouldn't take offense if the tables were turned, right? No, not straight white males, no.

Replace women for non-whites, or gays, or jews. They get the same "don't be a spoilsport, I don't mean any harm" jokes. To illustrate: institutions like the police complain they fail in recruiting blacks, or Asians, or gays. Wasn't there a recent report in the UK about institutional racism? I wouldn't be surprised if some minority groups are the butt of "just jokes" in the police, or the army. And equally I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained, he or she is told to lighten up, and by the bosses too. Nobody bothers to wonder why the target is upset or insulted. It means their experiences are not taken seriously. It's condescending. You would have to have a very thick skin to want to work there. Same for women: a female friend of mine is a surgeon, and in 2016 she also needs a thick skin to deflect all the jokes from her male colleagues about women. And as long as those jokes are viewed as acceptable, or not worth getting worked up about, there is no equality.

I'm not preaching political correctness, where everybody tiptoes around language and humour. But a little more awareness of historical struggles and of how people still suffer from discrimination wouldn't go amiss.
Well said deary

 
At the risk of inciting Val's wrath, I have always found this joke funny. (I was told it by a devout feminist!)

What's the difference between a feminist and a Sumo wrestler?

A Sumo wrestler shaves his legs!

 
I DID tell you, Krc - in tiny letters!  Put your specs on!

 
Back
Top