Good stuff indeed.
Quick question, how is it that UK music almost always trumps US stuff? I mean, even your bubblegum-pop tunes sound SO much better than what you get from over the Atlantic.
I personally believe that it's the way that music is presented on the radio.
In America, everything is compartmentalised into genres, you get one radio station playing one kind of music and not deviating from it. Over here, Radio 1 will play rock, pop, dance, drum and bass, anything... well... within reason. This sort of gives you exposure to a greater variety of music and not so much allows you to experience other kinds of music, but forces you into it. It may cause you to turn off the radio every now and then, but more often than not it broadens your horizons to a new genre.
Unfortunately this is getting less prevalent, and we're hearing more bullsh*t hip-pop, or what they often - wrongly in my view - dub r'n'b. If it's not that, it's artists and bands doing a Pendulum and playing the same f**king setting on the same f**king synth for three motherf**king albums running and claiming it's new c**ting sh*t. I'm personally disenfranchised to the point where I can no longer willingly listen to the radio, even to shows I used to like, due to the plastic feel it all has, and the way that artists are afraid to deviate from the style which brought them success because their 'demographic' may not like it.
Wow, that turned into a rant faster than it should have... anyway, I don't think it does always trump US stuff though, in fact some of my favourite artists are American. I mean Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago was ridiculously good. I listen to it often, and I enjoy it far more than one rightly should, but trust me it's good. The problem is that you often have to dig for music, even when it's that good. English music may be more accessible to you, or may even be managed better by the record labels involved. Far more likely than either of those however would be that where the music scene in England is right now, is simply more attuned to your own tastes.
I used to be a real audiophile, but I have since stopped spending as much time listening to and looking for new music, and also, my amazing speakers broke. So I had to buy some cheap replacements, but I guess this counts as my view on the difference between American and English music.