Moi

Extremely sad to hear this. We had many discussions, moans and laughs over the years, first here and then later on Facebook. I met her once in person and treasure that memory. Intelligent, kind and funny with a wicked sense of humour, I will always remember her fondly.

But she will hate that you gave her age away! I will always think of her as her long time profile picture - was it Lesley Ann Down or have I misremembered the name?

 
So sorry for your loss Loz ….. one of the very few who knew she was your Mum.

I hadn’t spoken to her direct for a few years but back in 2013 when my nephew had a massive head injury while working in Australia, Aileen gave generously to support my brother to stay over in Australia until Chris’s (My nephew) recovered enough to fly home. - she also wrote to Gary Cahill for me in support of an effort to get a signed Chelsea shirt - he got all the first team to sign it and we auctioned it.

I mention this as she had never met me in person or my family but we will never forget her support. She was a great laugh, had a foul mouth on her at times 😂 but I hope our story goes a little way to describing what a wonderful soul she was

And btw ….. Chris is doing great, he needs a full time carer struggles to walk and talk but leads an active life, played a round of golf with him last week. He is golf mad, was scratch before his accident.Aileen often asked after him and corresponded with my sister in law for a few years after his accident

All the very best to you and the family Loz, she was a wonderful lady

Andy

 
So sorry for your loss Loz ….. one of the very few who knew she was your Mum.

I hadn’t spoken to her direct for a few years but back in 2013 when my nephew had a massive head injury while working in Australia, Aileen gave generously to support my brother to stay over in Australia until Chris’s (My nephew) recovered enough to fly home. - she also wrote to Gary Cahill for me in support of an effort to get a signed Chelsea shirt - he got all the first team to sign it and we auctioned it.

I mention this as she had never met me in person or my family but we will never forget her support. She was a great laugh, had a foul mouth on her at times 😂 but I hope our story goes a little way to describing what a wonderful soul she was

And btw ….. Chris is doing great, he needs a full time carer struggles to walk and talk but leads an active life, played a round of golf with him last week. He is golf mad, was scratch before his accident.Aileen often asked after him and corresponded with my sister in law for a few years after his accident

All the very best to you and the family Loz, she was a wonderful lady

Andy
That's a wonderful tribute @andy

 
Didn’t really have too many dealings with moi, mainly me being an annoying little prick (unbelievable right) and her refusing to entertain any of my bullsh*t (very believable right). Hopefully it was seen on her side in the same vein as mine, just pissing about and having a laugh.

RIP to a forum legend.

 
RIP Moi.

So sorry for your loss Loz. Condolences to you and your family.

Certainly sounds like your mother lived a full and interesting life. And her 30,000 odd posts on here will be an enduring legacy to dip into whenever the need arises.

 
Sorry for your loss Loz, my condolences to you and all her family.

 
F’ing hell. The more I read on here, the more my heart breaks, feels like a lot of the posters I grew up interacting with are sadly no longer with us.

I used to have your mum on Facebook many years ago Loz although I’m sure my late teen/early 20’s posts will have annoyed her at times😂. I still remember how welcoming she was to me when I first joined and in the old instant messaging function we had for during games. She was a wonderful woman and extremely friendly and warm. I am so, so sorry for your loss💙

RIP Aileen

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Aileen, I was in the middle of a letter to you.

One of the things I wanted to tell her was that I was (for whatever reason) looking for an old post on here a few months ago, and while doing so came upon one of the threads in which we used to bicker about music. There was a post of hers from about 15 years ago in which Aileen told me off for not having listened to Warren Zevon... so I did! I started with his Genius greatest hits album, then listened to Excitable Boy (her favourite), then Sentimental Hygiene, then his eponymous album (which became my favourite and was the moment I was sold). Zevon became something of an obsession for me, to the point that my (then new) missus bought me the one album I couldn't find (My Ride's Here); it was one of those perfect moments in a relationship which irreversibly draws you together. I'm moving in with her next week. I wish I could have told her that.

I spoke to Aileen quite a lot over the years, and while I didn't get the pleasure of meeting her in person, she was as kind, brilliant and generous as anyone I've ever known. She loved Iain Banks and proper whisky and (of course) Chelsea FC. A couple of years ago she sent me a copy of Chums by Simon Kuper which I will happily forward onto any of you if you are interested.

The best I have tonight is a 12-year-old Bowmore. I'll be raising a glass or two tonight to a real braw lass. (@loz Am I doing the Scots right?)

And of course, to be true to moi:



 
Belated condolences, Loz.

Despite being on this forum for what, 20 years, Moi being your mother is one of the greatest plot-twists I have ever experienced.

Intelligent, extremely quick-witted, never suffered fools, yet also exceptionally kind, welcoming and gracious. Truly a mighty woman and she will be missed.

 
Back
Top