new music recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Presets

Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue

Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

TV on The Radio - Dear Science

MGMT

Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestique

Friendly Fires

Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea (older, but just got it so does that count?)

 
I have some recent releases to recommend, seems my taste could be considered rather specialist but never mind, all sounds good to me so I see no reason why everyone else shouldn't like it! I am not really an album purchaser, more into 12" singles / EP's, never really heard an album where I like all the tracks and would rather buy the extended 12" mixes of the tracks I do like. Anyway these have all come out on vinyl only this year:

Undiscovered - Deetour EP - amazing collection of undiscovered balearic / basement-disco / boogie-soul by UK / Japanese collaboration that includes Deetour (Karen Young), Masimbabele (Unknown Cases), What's That You're Doing (Macca and Stevie) and Spotlite (Little Dabs)

Rushing to Paradise by House of House - great track on cult label Whatever We Want

The Popular People's Front - Love EP - 4 track EP on Popular People's Front Records with standout track called 'Keep Doin Your Dance'

Moody - Det Riot '67 EP - 5 track EP produced by Moodymann (Kenny Dixon Junior) on his KDJ label from Detroit

Detroit Beatdown Edits - white label edits by Mark Clark of Family Affair (Sly and Family Stone), Live It Up (Isley Brothers), Disco Jazz (Dazz) and Burn (BT Express)

I Gotta by Phillipo Ransullo and Mastarantonio Ace - edit of an unknown afrobeat track on Community Service Records

Give It Up by Diesel and Jarvis - more afro vibes on Moton Records Inc

Magic Journey by Rogue Cat (Todd Terje mix) - deep music for late night disco action on Tiny Sticks

 
got a new album other day which is superb. silversun pickups, absolutely belting album. very similar to the old smashing pumpkins albums so thats a definite recomendation.

 
I have recently started listening to Lisa Hannigan's album 'Sea Sew' which came out last year. I am quite taken by it.

She is a bit like an Irish version of Kristin Hersh but far more quirky. If the idea of that appeals to you as much as a night as the meat in a Weather Girls sandwich then I suggest you don't listen to these clips!









 
got a new album other day which is superb. silversun pickups, absolutely belting album. very similar to the old smashing pumpkins albums so thats a definite recomendation.
yep, the silversun pickups new album is great , a must for anyone who likes american alternative music. its like a mix between my bloody valentine and early pumpkins (ie - when they were good!)

 
I have some recent releases to recommend, seems my taste could be considered rather specialist but never mind, all sounds good to me so I see no reason why everyone else shouldn't like it! I am not really an album purchaser, more into 12" singles / EP's, never really heard an album where I like all the tracks and would rather buy the extended 12" mixes of the tracks I do like. Anyway these have all come out on vinyl only this year:Undiscovered - Deetour EP - amazing collection of undiscovered balearic / basement-disco / boogie-soul by UK / Japanese collaboration that includes Deetour (Karen Young), Masimbabele (Unknown Cases), What's That You're Doing (Macca and Stevie) and Spotlite (Little Dabs)

Rushing to Paradise by House of House - great track on cult label Whatever We Want

The Popular People's Front - Love EP - 4 track EP on Popular People's Front Records with standout track called 'Keep Doin Your Dance'

Moody - Det Riot '67 EP - 5 track EP produced by Moodymann (Kenny Dixon Junior) on his KDJ label from Detroit

Detroit Beatdown Edits - white label edits by Mark Clark of Family Affair (Sly and Family Stone), Live It Up (Isley Brothers), Disco Jazz (Dazz) and Burn (BT Express)

I Gotta by Phillipo Ransullo and Mastarantonio Ace - edit of an unknown afrobeat track on Community Service Records

Give It Up by Diesel and Jarvis - more afro vibes on Moton Records Inc

Magic Journey by Rogue Cat (Todd Terje mix) - deep music for late night disco action on Tiny Sticks
Some nice choices there Paulo. Good to see some respect for Detroit here. I know quite a few of that crew and have been fortunate enough to DJ with a few of them over the years. You haven't seen anything until you've witnessed Moodymann doing one of his sets while wearing roller skates. I would recommend that you check out some of the releases on 2 labels run by my friend Jerome. Still Music for some quality deep house/tech house and Past Due Recordings for some fantastic reworks of lost soul/disco masterpieces.

 
I have recently started listening to Lisa Hannigan's album 'Sea Sew' which came out last year. I am quite taken by it.She is a bit like an Irish version of Kristin Hersh but far more quirky. If the idea of that appeals to you as much as a night as the meat in a Weather Girls sandwich then I suggest you don't listen to these clips!
I second that Loz. I saw her appear on one of the late night shows here and was impressed enough to buy the album. She is a protege of Damien Rice and you can definitely hear that in her style.

Here are some other recent recommendations I have

1) Birdpen - On/Off/Safety/Danger (Sounds a little like Radiohead/earlier Coldplay with a little bit of an electronic twist. I know the lead singer so got to give it the recommendation)

2) Fat Freddy's Drop - Pretty well anything by them. Their first album is 'Based on a True story' and another one is coming out soon. New Zealand's finest reggae/soul/funk/sea shanty band. Supposedly fantastic live too.

3) DubXanne - Police in Dub ( A strange idea but oddly it works. A German electronic band reworked some of the best material from Police into reggae dub sounds. The result is surprisingly good and worth a listen. At times you forget that the Police had the original song as the reggae version sounds so authentic).

4) The Dynamics - Version Excursions (French/African band produces a great album of covers with a reggae/soul vibe. The choice are not obvious as many are rock songs e.g. Whole Lotta Love, but they work really well.)

5) Zeb - Stop the Earth I wanna get off (Electronic beats with a Middle Eastern/Afro/Indian vibe)

6) Phlash & Friends - Look at what we've done (Not Clive Walker but once of West London's finest in Phil Asher producing some great deep house)

7) Mr . Scruff - Ninja Tuna (One of my favourite DJ/producers comes with another eclectic mixture of sounds from soul and funk to grime/dubstep. Also highly recommended to catch live as a DJ if you are into that sort of thing).

 
Good to see some respect for Detroit here.
Detroit has always pushed musical boundaries over the years and produced some truly inspirational stuff, and features very strongly in my record collection. From the early days of Tamla / Motown, then on to those jazz pioneers on labels like Tribe such as Marcus Belgrave (Space Odyssey), and legends such as Donald Byrd, then the development of techno music by Derrick May, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson and their disciples like Carl Craig and labels like Underground Resistance, through to todays outstanding producers such as Theo Parrish, Amp Fiddler and KDJ, Detroit has consistently come up with the goods, although seems to have never really got the respect it deserves.

I know Still Music well and have quite a few of their releases, particularly liked the Patchworks 12" from a couple of years ago. Haven't heard of Past Due, will check them out.

If anyone likes hip-hop they should check out Clutchy Hopkins, some very interesting instrumental stuff from a great producer.

 
These have been on heavy rotation for the past month or so.

Sparkadia - Postcards

Lady Of The Sunshine - Smoking Gun

The Butterfly Effect - Final Conversation Of Kings

Doves - Kingdom of Rust

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit has always pushed musical boundaries over the years and produced some truly inspirational stuff, and features very strongly in my record collection. From the early days of Tamla / Motown, then on to those jazz pioneers on labels like Tribe such as Marcus Belgrave (Space Odyssey), and legends such as Donald Byrd, then the development of techno music by Derrick May, Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson and their disciples like Carl Craig and labels like Underground Resistance, through to todays outstanding producers such as Theo Parrish, Amp Fiddler and KDJ, Detroit has consistently come up with the goods, although seems to have never really got the respect it deserves.I know Still Music well and have quite a few of their releases, particularly liked the Patchworks 12" from a couple of years ago. Haven't heard of Past Due, will check them out.

If anyone likes hip-hop they should check out Clutchy Hopkins, some very interesting instrumental stuff from a great producer.
Detroit actually has a fantastic music festival every year that is free to the general public. It has changed names a few times but generally known as the Detroit Electronic Music Festival. You always get the usual suspects from the world of techno there like Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Carl Craig. Plus they usually have some cool guests from around the world. Its not just techno as they feature all facets of Detroit music like soul and jazz too. But the big stages are usuall for Techno. It is open air in these concrete amphitheaters downtown. Surrounded by urban decay it really is the perfect place to witness that sort of music and it is great to see so many locals of all ages take pride in their music.

Still Music is run by my friend Jerome who is based here in Chicago. He is French but has a real love for the Detroit sound and has managed to get some of the best producers to put tracks out on his label. He has a couple of Patchworks tracks out and they are both great. He also helped to bring Detoit vocalist Paul Randolph to prominence. Paul is now vocalist with Jazzanova I believe.

Jerome started Past Due records because he also loves old soul/disco. The concept was to unearth relatively obscure, old classics and reintroduce them to the public. Each release has the extended original accompanied by a remix from a modern DJ.

Here is the catalog according to Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Past+Due

 
Not exactly new, but I've been listening to:

Snowy White - White Flames

and

Various Artists - Soul Jazz Love Strata East

lately.

 
She sounds a cross between Bjork and KT Tunstall in that one.
f**k me. If there was ever a line which might prevent me from viewing a youtube clip, THAT has got to be it!

 
Love the stuff about Detroit lads, thanks. Forbzy, congrats on your mate starting up somewhat of a revival! I've seen Derrick May at a rave before, and he was tremendous. Think your festival sounds amazing, when is it as I may have to check it out, relive a bit of my youth!

But I am sure as Detroit continues to decay it will be quite something to go to such a festival. SEriously, I've never been so depressed driving past a city as I was when I drove past DEtroit!

Scott

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top