OLYMPICS UPDATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Bridges

First Team Regular
Messages
4,302
Reaction score
1,383
Since the Olympics are in my city, I thought I'd keep you guys abreast of some updates!

Sadly the first day is actually quite tragic.

A 21yr old Georgian Luger has died when he careened off the track @ a speed of 144km/hour. I beleive the first Olympian to ever die @ the games while competeing/training.

http://www.theprovince.com/Georgian+luger+...6532/story.html

Hopefully this will be the only tragic event of the games ::ChElSeaFLag::

 
::ChElSeaFLag:: Just heard that on the news - awful :D I do like the Winter Olympics, but this is just such a tragic start.
 
Since the Olympics are in my city, I thought I'd keep you guys abreast of some updates!Sadly the first day is actually quite tragic.

A 21yr old Georgian Luger has died when he careened off the track @ a speed of 144km/hour. I beleive the first Olympian to ever die @ the games while competeing/training.

http://www.theprovince.com/Georgian+luger+...6532/story.html

Hopefully this will be the only tragic event of the games ::ChElSeaFLag::
Why did they choose the middle of Feb for the start, given Vancouver's unpredictable weather patterns. Probably snow north of the City in Whistler what about the lower slopes? Who will be lighting the flame in about 3 hours?

 
No one knows yet.

Its a rainforest climate. and to put it in perspective, it snowed last year and it was a disaster as the City of Richmond (where the skating oval is) didnt even have any vehicles to deal with the snow (plows, sand/salt spreaders).

Maybe next Olympics they put this question on the application form

"Does it snow in your city?"

hahah but regardless, I think this games are going to be pumped! even if I am skeptical at what costs to the taxpayer and essential services.

edit: Its also the first indoor opening ceremonies in the history of winter Olympics....like the final torch bearer, every aspect of this ceremony is secret....but even some of the biggest game skeptics have come out of the dress rehersals saying it was amazing and almost moved them to tears.....pff women ::ChElSeaFLag::

 
Last edited by a moderator:
its 1:30 am here right now, 1hr and 30 min until the ceremony, I need to stay up!

Only thing im interested in is the hockey, all the other sports im not to bothered about.

Come on Sweden!

 
A swedish newspaper posted that accident on their homepage and I've got to say that it looked really bad. The people in charge of security needs be told off because I can't believe there was no security-net or something in front of the metal girder (or whatever it is called).

There's a video of the crash here: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Olympics/olympic-...tory?id=9821494

Awful start to the olympic games.

Btw. This is not the first time someone dies during the olympic games. It has apparently happened 5 times before.

Francisco Lazaro in 1912

Knud Enemark Jensen in 1960

Ross Milne in 1964

Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki in 1964

Nicolas Bochatay in 1992

 
The two main things I'll be watching in the olympics is the hockey (where I will not cheer for Sweden) and mens figure skating.

Apart from that I might check out some skiing if some swede has a chance to take home the gold.

Oh, might check out curling as well, but only when Sweden play.

 
Gee having watched that crash I would say he died instantly. So sad, so young, freakish accident but why did they think it would not happen given the configuration of the track...what will they do now? They can hardly put a safety barrier up. Won't be watching a lot perhaps the opening ceremony in 15mins.. oh oh Stephen Harper's on...

 
Sad to see the young georgian die before he even had the chance to compete.

I always look forward to the olympics, but it sounds like BC is struggling. I know they were building up some of the areas with Hay and then covering them with snow that they were flying in from further north.

Hope it is a good one, and RIP to the young fella from Georgia

 
The first Dutch gold medal is in the pocket: Sven Kramer won the 5,000 meter speed skating event, which doesn't interest anybody but the Dutch and a handful of Norwegians.

 
I watched it Val, very dominating performance. Then watched a very wxciting Female Moguls competition which came right down to the final runs.

Val, I liked seeing the Dutch have this HUGE skating race around frozen rivers and canals in the winter...looks like great fun, if only I could skate

 
Stayed up till 3:45am this morning watching it - fantastic events, shame it doesn't get the coverage the Summer one. Can't see us getting a medal from anywhere though ::clap2::

 
When's the Snowboard Cross? That was the only thing I actually enjoyed watching last time, purely for the incredible finish in the final!

 
I thought snowboard cross is on today?

 
Some of the sports are just embarrassing to watch

Women's hockey should be abolished

 
I thought snowboard cross is on today?
I watched the Men's Snowboard Cross last night and it was absolutely epic. Pretty much all of the favourites wiped-out in the first before the semi's! Awesome stuff.

 
Snowboard cross is one of the more exciting games....basically, it's people on a snowboard, making their way through a track, between flags as quickly as possible. There are jumps and stuff. They don't need to do tricks, just to get to the end quicker than the other people.

It starts with time trials where they just race by themselves to determine who qualifies for the knock out sections. Then there is a second round, where there are 8 heats of 4 players, top 2 from each heat go on. Then quarter finals, same process, semi-finals same process...so in the end, there are 4 people in the finals.

There are a lot of spills as riders jostle for the positions, or go too hard.

I'm dissapointed though...an Aussie got the highest qualification time, and was seeded first for the knockout round. He was leading his heat in the second round, leading the eventual gold medallist.....and took a big spill and got knocked out of the comp :P

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top