One clever Erika

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ridiculous!!

Is every bit of each piece done with tape? Or is some of it drawn? It's really hard to tell from the pictures.

How do you even come up with the idea, never mind execute it so brilliantly?

 
Stolen from here website www.iri5.com

My name is Erika Iris Simmons and I like to take things- random things- like what you would find at a garage sale or in a thrift store- and make them into composite art. Most of my pieces become portraits of people associated with the item I’ve chosen. I don’t really add any paint or pigments… I usually just take things apart and re-arrange them in weird ways, cutting away pieces when necessary. A lot of my art is made with cassette tapes and old film reels in a series I call “Ghost in the Machine.â€

“The Ghost in the Machine†series was inspired by some strange ideas. How at one level we are cellular beings and another we are a single self. The single cassette tape I thought of as representing the mind. The tape ribbon represents our thoughts, the data within. Taking that data – those bits of memory – and rearranging them to form what we see as a face is my way of finding a “ghost in the machine.†I also liked the fact that when you look at a portrait like Jimi Hendrix out of a cassette tape, you can almost hear the music in your head – so your own “data†is responding to what you see.

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to contact me with any questions or just to say hi. I’ll return your message as soon as I can.

Best wishes

Erika

 
It is absolutely amazing, Tim, G4 Sq. Thanks for posting it, sweetie squared.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top