No, tis not true at all.
Ronaldo: unqualified success, nothing more to add. When i heard about it I thought the fee was a joke, but if he plays like this for another 5 seasons he may score 250 goals for Madrid and that is genuinely unreal.
Kaka: a bizarre high transfer for sure. Never hit the heights he did in 2007 and has been on the wane ever since. Madrid overpaid badly, and so far, I would call it a bust
Ibrahimovic: I dont get this one, never have. He went to Barca, scored about a goal every 2 games in the league and overall (16 in 29, 21 in 41) but he set up many more because he was a tall, fast striker, something they didn't have before. He also set up many more goals, and helped them get all six points against Madrid. The transfer in was bonkers, but Guardiola falling out with him for no apparent reason and then cutting him lose after one moderately successful season was truly truly stupid. By all accounts, Ibra loved it there, too. And selling him wasnt a prerequisite to getting David Villa, since he is only out on loan anyway. Can you imagine Villa and Ibra being fed by Messi Xavi and Iniesta? f**k
Zidane: lets not rewrite history. He was 29 when he got to Madrid, of course his best days were behind him. Yet he still managed to win La Liga and win the CL with an unforgettable goal. Madrid were an absolute circus at the time dont forget. They signed Beckham and stuck him at holding midfielder. Not exactly his fault that the years were underwhelming in terms of silverware.
I had my reservations about Torres and this fee, but I dont want to act like it was because I am worried about spending big. It was the player we spent big on, his injuries, and his history. But what is done is done, and I dont think this will be Sheva II at all.
Even if Torres doesnt hit the heights here, I wont panic. He is 26 now, 27 in the summer. Clubs like Milan and Barca have been linked to him for years, and I am sure they would pay a hefty percentage of the fee we did to take him on even if he was 28 or 29. Especially Barca, who seem to need to respond to Madrid's big money moves with ones of their own.